Fram Ultra ADBV problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i built the engine I used a modified oil pump and front cover for double roller with high psi relief, the bypass was new and tested with pressure, its blowing off at the correct psi.
I only ever ran Wix on it and this one Fram so I dont know about any other that may cause it to make noise.

I just started it again for the summer a few weeks ago and its as silent as ever. Maybe a defective filter? I dont know what would be defective in it though, its not like its a highly complex thing.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
So whats the verdict? Is the ultra no good?

The only way to find out is to cut open every filter before you put it on the engine. OH Wait!

Its not that the Ultra is no good, it is that (getting back to the original point here) it didn't work on the OPs vehicle.

I had the same problem with the OCOD back in the day. One of the many reasons why I stopped using them.
smirk.gif

I did have the same issue with a Royal Purple filter one time, but I shipped them back the filter and they replaced it with a brand new one and a quart of make up oil overnighted to my front door. Never a problem from then on.
cool.gif

Maybe it was just a dud, or maybe it isnt right for your vehicle.
confused.gif

All the rest of this stuff is just...you know...nonsense.
whistle.gif

These engines are notorious for valve lash. They are quite picky on the type of oil and filter used. It is not saying that the Fram is bad, but it is not a good combo for this application. I had to play with different oil and filter combos before I eliminated the startup noise. PYB 10w30 and a Napa pro select filter work for me. No noise whatsoever on startup.

I'm guessing there are not a lot of people in this thread well-acquainted with HLA's, especially on an old engine.

Let me start with my bullet point here:

Many HLA's do not function correctly, especially when aged, under absolutely perfect circumstances. Any oil/filter/whatever testing under these circumstances lacks a proper control for said test.

Complaining about HLA noise due to a certain product is like complaining that a straight door you purchased, does not fit into a crooked door frame.

I've owned 3 Mazda BP 1.8 engines, and also Mitsubishi 6G72TT engines. Both engine families are notorious for HLA issues.

Forget the oil filter. There is absolutely no way in Hades, unless it froze over, that any modern oil filter is going to create enough restriction to starve an engine's valvetrain. What are we talking about here? The oil filter or engine would explode if it had that much unregulated restriction.

What's supposed to be going on with the bypass valve anyway? It's just sitting there, going, "Well, this filter isn't flowing jack, but I'm just going to stay closed and starve the engine.". Come on.

The real situation here is that high-mileage (and even some new) HLA's are temperamental hags.

My BP 1.8's? Noise, unless I ran a 0W30 synthetic. Filter didn't make a difference. I used a variety of PureOne, Motorcraft, and Mazda OEM. Only thing that shut it up was the oil.

6G72 HLA noise? Try all of the filters you can get your hands on. The only thing that will quiet them is a good, thin, synthetic that will squeeze through those too-small oil passages the easiest.

This is not an FU problem. It's not an oil filter problem at all. This is a Mazda problem.

So which filter flows more a mobil1 m1 or the equivalent fram ultra?

Probably the Ultra since it's full synthetic. The M1 is a synthetic blend. But bottom line is both will flow just fine and there wouldn't be enough difference to be concerned about.

Everyone says synthetic flows better but is there any proof of this?

Search the 'net ... info always points to full synthetic flowing better due to the construction of the media with super small fibers instead of big fibers used in cellulose media.

I did not notice anything bad about the fram ultra although i know someone who changes his oil on a 2003 civic and he said more oil came out than usual... Strange maybe the 7317 he used had a problem or maybe it was him..Who knows?

Yep thats the argument but no actual tests been done just the theory

Tests have been done, why do you think a filter manufacturer would say a full synthetic oil filter flows better due to the micro glass strands that are much smaller in diameter than cellulose media?

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/10%20TSB's/09-1.pdf

http://lenzinc.com/sites/default/files/pdf_49da3d7423a10.pdf

Just search around the internet and you'll see over and over that full synthetic media flows better than cellulose.

Since synthetic media flows so much better it will also drain oil out of the center tube better after shut down. Too late to regroup, the Fram Ultra ADBV Problem is out there now. In this new world of accuse and believe with no facts, that's all it takes.

again thats just marketing blurb. No actual test of synthetic

There are tests ... you just can't find them easily. So you can believe full synthetic doesn't flow better than cellulose until some golden test data is laid at your feet, or believe the people who design and manufacture the media that it does flow better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back