Yamaha FJR 1300 -- 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Norumbega

My hunch is that Yamaha added a sixth gear because their marketing types heard the whining about its absence and were looking for ways to update and garner some attention for an aging but still great machine. Their engineering types surely knew it really didn't need one.

Im glad your happy with your FJR, its a great bike, made better by a 6 speed gear box.
Any self respecting new modern and upper price range bike will have 6 speeds in this day and age.
Its not marketing, its simply smart to do. Read the reviews on the 2016, the gear box completely reworked, reviewer calls the bike so quiet in 6th gear on the highway that its spooky.
You call the bike "aging" well, its doesnt have to be and working in the 6th speed certainly brings it up to the modern age. I think I want one to add to my garage :eek:)

After about 500 miles on the FJR, I think the new sixth gear is a solution in search of a problem!

How dare you not drink the marketing Kool-Aid? lol You are totally correct that a muscular bike with a broad powerband like the FJR has no real need for a 6-speed. Is the extra gear a deal breaker? Not really, but it adds complexity and cost where it's not really needed (like many other features we have been brainwashed to consider essential - think the loosely defined "overdrive",....). Bikes with narrow power spreads (600cc supersports, big cruisers - yes, the latter's 4k rpm powerband is narrow compared to an FJR, before the chrome crew pipes in, lol) can surely benefit from them, but an FJR is more than capable of pulling the gap between gears on a 5-speed.

Thanks for the real-world input, and enjoy your steed!

I just bought a 2009 (Generation II) FJR1300 with only 1541 miles on it for well less than half of its original price. The previous owner had short legs and a bad hip and dropped it twice in his garage. First drop scratched the fairing and the second one scratched the newly installed ugly (but effective!) crash bar. The bike intimidated him and he eventually ended up trading it in on a CanAm Spyder three wheeler.The panel is being painted now and the ugly crash bars have been replaced by sliders. I've brought all services up to date and am a happy camper!

It don't need no stinking 6th gear!

I have had many bikes over the past five decades or so, mostly six speeds. Some really benefited from having a sixth gear. A BMW K1200S (Rocket!), BMW R1150R (Roadster) and a Gold Wing GL1500 (Recliner) share garage space with this new one.

After about 500 miles on the FJR, I think the new sixth gear is a solution in search of a problem!

My hunch is that Yamaha added a sixth gear because their marketing types heard the whining about its absence and were looking for ways to update and garner some attention for an aging but still great machine. Their engineering types surely knew it really didn't need one. There is sooo much torque and top end that it's just unnecessary. The engine red lines at 11K and cruises effortlessly at 70MPH, turning only 4000RPM while still returning a whole ride tank average of 48+ MPG. This includes Interstate cruising, twisty back roads, a little in town traffic and no particular throttle restraint anywhere. Not coincidentally, this engine speed also places it at the bottom of the wide "sweet spot" of its power band. Want to accelerate out of a tight spot or just for fun? Just twist and go. No need to shift. You will pass 100 MPH VERY QUICKLY INDEED! The engine is quiet and silky smooth at this speed and I doubt the few extra revs hurt it a bit. The added responsiveness they add at highway speeds is welcome, IMHO.

Check the FJR forums on the clutch soak, ground spiders, and the ignition switch recalls. I had to do the clutch soak on my 2007, but not my 2010. Never had any issues with grounds or the ignition switch.
Ride safe and enjoy that bike, she's a cruise missile.

Wow, GREAT Road Test on the NEW FJR 1300 in the July Issue of Rider Magazine. This was a 1000 mile test (approx). Not a 100 mile test.
I have to read it again because I got so excited about maybe owning one one day I wasnt focused. :eek:)
Like I said, this bike interests me as a second bike OR if I keep my Road King a few more years, I do love my Rk I think I may own it forever but may just want to try something different.
I tend to get bike ADD.
Required are saddle bags and the FJR has them but its a compromise between cruiser and sport bikes, why I would like to hold onto my Road King and have the FJR as a second bike or one day, in my older years when I no longer travel interstate and need a more compact bike the FJR might be it..

Like I said, having that 6th gear brought me into REALLY liking this bike.
Rider magazine goes into depth on the new transmission. They love it is an understatement. Its not just an extra 6th gear they love, the whole transmission of course reworked. Helical gears too. Clutch redone ... etc.
124 rear wheel HP (not that I need it.)

Anyway, will make it a point to check out some day, I know not when... :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back