Stick shifts everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Yes! It has aluminium drums in the back (wear area is steel of course). Always wondered why more cars doesn't use aluminium drums, than are much lighter.

Cost more, I bet. Drums have been about cost. Not that I understand how they be cheaper, but they must be, somehow.

Originally Posted By: supton

Yes! It has aluminium drums in the back (wear area is steel of course). Always wondered why more cars doesn't use aluminium drums, than are much lighter.

Cost more, I bet. Drums have been about cost. Not that I understand how they be cheaper, but they must be, somehow.

I think cast Al is actually cheaper than iron. Cast Al parts get scattered around on tractors where they don't need strength. My tractor has a cast Al oil pan for example.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Silk
This was my last manual, a Lada 2104...horrible in traffic. haven't had a manual since, not by choice, I don't go out looking for cars to buy, they come to me.

Lada%202104%20002_zpsmzamuu9w.gif

LOL, my dad bought exactly the same Lada in 86 or something for ONE pay check. New car for one paycheck. Years after I've bought used one to make some money on it. I ended up driving it for a year. After changing that Russian excuse for carburettor for Dellorto car was actually driveable.

Was this version with aluminum brakes?

Yes! It has aluminium drums in the back (wear area is steel of course). Always wondered why more cars doesn't use aluminium drums, than are much lighter. Few days ago I've so a Clio (new one) with aluminium drums!

This car was a trendsetter!

It's the first I can remember (and they used to be fairly common here) with the blinkers in the headlight assembly, like every car has these days.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think cast Al is actually cheaper than iron. Cast Al parts get scattered around on tractors where they don't need strength. My tractor has a cast Al oil pan for example.

I think it's done on the tractor for heat management properties. And on the drums aswell.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

I think it's done on the tractor for heat management properties. And on the drums aswell.

Yeah, you are probably right. Russias actually removed rear discs from original car, maybe to improve handbrake performance.
It was sturdy little car, always reminded me of old Volvos on budget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: 2016Accord
You can't even count the number of MT Toyotas clogging the roads in Bangkok or Bogota. It is endless.

Those people sitting in those epic traffic jams probably wish they had an automatic transmission.

I wonder if they all just idle along in 1st like truckers, instead of the constant brainless stopping and going we get here?

In my experience, it has been lots of stopping and going, not much idling along. It is not slow, congested highway driving, it's more chaotic urban driving, so constant stopping and starting, lane changes, lane splitting, re-routing.

In Lima Peru for example, there are taxi fleets of newish Toyota Yaris MT. That doesn't surprise me. What surprised me more was that all the Uber drivers have MTs. These are mostly individuals, and all of them have opted for vehicles with manual transmissions, to be driven in some pretty crazy traffic situations day in and day out.

I can only surmise that the economics of MT in their markets and for their use makes sense and they don't care about or value the convenience of an automatic enough to pay for one.

here in Spain i think about 75% of new cars sold are manual, and diesel, i don't like autos, and here if you pass your driving test with an auto you can't legally drive a manual, and it's almost the same in all of europe even though autos are starting to gain some popularity but it will be a long time before anything like what has happened in the US happens in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back