My review of the General Altimax RT43 tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
I put RT43's onto my Jetta (got rid of before putting too many miles) and onto my Camry. Doing better than the prior Michelins, in both treadwear and snow traction (at least when new).

Half worn now, so if winter ever shows up I'll find out how they do when half worn.

Just checked. 30kmiles, 5/32's remaining. A bit thin for winter. If wife has no complaints I'll run until fall, at which time I suspect they will be 3/32's and due for replacement. 50k tire life, not too bad for a $400 set of tires. Maybe I'll luck out and get 'em again when on sale.

Just checked. 30kmiles, 5/32's remaining. A bit thin for winter. If wife has no complaints I'll run until fall, at which time I suspect they will be 3/32's and due for replacement. 50k tire life, not too bad for a $400 set of tires. Maybe I'll luck out and get 'em again when on sale.

What is mileage warranty of RT43 ? Is it 60-70k miles ?

If you bought it from DT then you may be able to get some prorate when it is down to 2-3/32".

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Going with these or the Cooper CS5s next time....

Same we have narrowed it down to for our Nissan. Deciding to get new all season and run those this winter instead of the winter tires. We have no snow yet.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What is mileage warranty of RT43 ? Is it 60-70k miles ?

If you bought it from DT then you may be able to get some prorate when it is down to 2-3/32".

I think it's a 60k tire, would have to look--but I planned to replace at 4/32's when I originally bought them. CL for cheap money I think around that point. No interest in getting full life out of the tire.

When I mentioned I measured how long I thought the tires would last to my wife (after measuring) she said she thought it was starting to hydroplane a bit more. So I might start shopping for another set of rims, buy a new set of tires for winter, then run these for a bit this summer... or just replace. Dunno at the moment.

Well, I skipped the last rotation, and have 4/32's on the rear, 3/32's on the front. Wife says no issues with rain traction. 37kmiles at the moment. Maybe I can eek past 40k, then replace?

Says "made in USA" on them too, wonder if a replacement set would still be made in USA.

Halfway tempted to just buy another set while on sale "just in case" they don't go on sale come fall.

No complaints about the tires. Quiet, wore evenly, no issues with going out of balance. Reasonably good in snow. Hence I'm willing to use again.

Doubt it. I bought them from DTD (online) on sale, installed them myself (did have to pay to get balanced though), did my own rotations (but skipped the last one, by my own admission).

Wild guess says I would have broken even using the pro-rated warranty if I bought locally (paying more, naturally) and having lost a few hours of work every 5k to get rotated so as to be eligible for said warranty. Maybe I'd be ahead, or maybe I'd have to argue with them about getting them pro-rated. [When I bought the high-end Michelin LTX's for my truck, the shop said to expect 40k, as that's what everyone gets, good tire or not.]

40k is in line with what we've typically gotten out of tires. I'll look tonight and see what the first two sets were.

You don't have DT(Discount Tire) in your area ?

I bought tires for all my car at AT(America's Tire, same a DT outside So Cal) since 2006-2007. They do price match and have free balance/rotation and flat repair. Claiming tread life warranty with AT/DT was very easy, which I did 4-5 times already. With warranty and rebates last July-04, I paid less than $200 for 4 235/45-17 Cooper CS5 Ultra installed in my E430.

For balance/rotation I made appointment and I could get in and out in 15-20 minutes. The least busy time at AT/DT is around close time of 5-6 PM.

I used to buy tires from DTD and had WM installed. But their service after sale was bad so I stayed away from them. Same for after sale service at Costco, I waited for more than 2 hours for a simple rotation. Now, I just wait for good sale at AT/DT on major holidays.

Nope. There are chains and whatnot, but I don't mind rotating tires on my own--gives me a chance to check out the suspension, in particular the brakes. I can do that on Saturdays, enjoy a bit of work, and "know" that I'll never have a cross threaded stud. Local garage can do mnt/bal, as long as I drop off the vehicle for the day, so that is still an issue--in the past I've made a beeline to a shop to get in line at 7:30am, and the mechanics will start at 8, and I get out around 9 or 10 at the latest.

Could always use the dealer, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back