Something to think about.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger I wanted to work hard for the rest of my life. Now that I'm older I don't think that way anymore... It's probably because I went into engineering instead of carpentry/farming/anything that can be easily and quickly measured.

I very much would like to be done with the rat-race but not for the purpose of sitting around watching TV.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Here is my thought for the day.... Don't get so wrapped up in making money and working that you forget to live and enjoy life.

We already have a class of people who live like that, they live and enjoy life and get their welfare check every month.

Some of us actually do it the right way...we work until we have reached an age and a financial status to where we can afford to retire...at least that's how I'm doing it anyway...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Here is my thought for the day.... Don't get so wrapped up in making money and working that you forget to live and enjoy life.

We already have a class of people who live like that, they live and enjoy life and get their welfare check every month.

I think its a delicate balance. You do need to take time to enjoy life and time with friends and family. I feel today we dont have enough time off. Does you good to take a break and just relax.

The people who work usually spend too much time at work, and those who don't work need to work...too bad we couldn't find a happy medium for both...

Last edited:
Quote from Hatt's link.

"Over the past decade, an abundance of psychology research has shown that experiences bring people more happiness than do possessions."

That is not surprising at all.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote from Hatt's link.

"Over the past decade, an abundance of psychology research has shown that experiences bring people more happiness than do possessions."

That is not surprising at all.

Ironic. I just enjoyed an old Western on TV last night and noted crusty old cowboy Robert Duvall's advice to his young companion:
quote-never-use-money-to-measure-wealth-son-robert-duvall-62-85-17.jpg

Adding to the work hard recommendations, it goes farther when combined with working smart. Often there is a difference.

Originally Posted By: hatt

Those people aren't enjoying life. They're miserable, and broke. Welfare is only enough to keep you poor. Just enough to keep you from doing anything for yourself. Not enough to have a quality lifestyle. Very well thought out plan to preserve the permanent underclass.

Not here, they are happy campers. Mass even gives them free cars with insurance, gas, taxes paid, a maintenance allowance and AAA.
Free rent, health care, Obama phone, free internet and cable, free electric, heat, food and some cash. Illegals are welcome. They sell drugs for extra pocket money out of the local dive. Sure they are miserable.
lol.gif

https://www.ihatethemedia.com/massachusetts-free-cars-for-poor

Originally Posted By: hatt

Those people aren't enjoying life. They're miserable, and broke. Welfare is only enough to keep you poor. Just enough to keep you from doing anything for yourself. Not enough to have a quality lifestyle. Very well thought out plan to preserve the permanent underclass.

Not here, they are happy campers. Mass even gives them free cars with insurance, gas, taxes paid, a maintenance allowance and AAA.
Free rent, health care, Obama phone, free internet and cable, free electric, heat, food and some cash. Illegals are welcome. They sell drugs for extra pocket money out of the local dive. Sure they are miserable.
lol.gif

Thought they killed that program already...

Free cars...just crazy. Can't be decent ones though....

Its not an official state program anymore but its still done through other program channels.
The cars are better than most low wage workers are driving.
Years ago there was a article in the Herald that showed signs in Puerto Rico telling people Mass was the best place in the USA to get welfare, that's a fact.

If your a minority, an illegal, drug hound, white trash with loads of kids its a friggin free for all.
The real estate and other taxes are through the roof, the infrastructure is shot to Hades, landlord rights exist only on paper in reality they dont exist at all and to top all that off they brought in loads of illegals last year every one of them on the public cow.

The truth is the working people are the ones that are friggin miserable not the freeloaders.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
So...why do I work for a living again?

Somebody has to support all of the free-loaders...

lol.gif

Maybe. Wild animals in the zoo have a lot of perks too. They probably aren't as happy as the ones in the wild do what wild animals do.

When I feel a need to work overtime, I will. I don't like doing it, but it's hard to refuse the amount of money a couple of days can give you. With time and a half on Saturday and double on Sunday...it's almost like another 1/2 a paycheck.
But....I only do it when a REAL reason exists. We just bought a house, so...I needed to work some O/T. There is a guy in my group that is in his sixties. He brags about his family...his grandkids, etc. He also talks about how he ran his own business before and has lots of investments...including a home in Hawaii. Thing is...the guy works every single bit of O/T he can and that includes holidays. He's nuts. Never home...he spends the vast majority of his life in a freakin warehouse. Yet he talks like he's a big "family" man. Seems to me he's more of a "paycheck man" than anything else. One day he will have a heart attack at work...they'll put on his headstone..."Here lies the King of Overtime".

LOL, what's "overtime"...Have only got "balance time" for the last decade and a bit...and the account only goes one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back