Changed the spark plugs on Sunday, and [censored]??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did not leak over 6 years. It most likely leaked over the last few months or so. Change the valve cover gaskets. There aren't many cars where it is a challenge.

Your Tundra needs valve cover gaskets as well.

Very likely it does. Annoying, very few miles for it to lose a gasket. I didn't look closely at how to do it but I'm guessing it's a day long / weekend long job. Wonder if I can order the gaskets and have them for the weekend, I do have all day Monday to do the job.

Wonder if my Camry will be just as bad. Toyota dependability my foot!

Originally Posted By: supton
Does the gasket really need changing? I mean, it's had six years to seep oil. Depending upon usage, maybe that slow seep can be ignored for a long time to come (or until it's traded off)? Not sure how hard the job is on this vehicle.

Makes me wonder if next time I do plugs I should pull out my Mityvac and check for oil first. When I did plugs on my Tundra I had oil also (not quite as bad) and it blew blue for a few minutes afterwards.

It is a $15 set of gaskets and about 30 minutes work if you don't take it super slow.

EDIT: sorry, i thought i was replying to the fusion owner. might be harder for a toyota.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a V motor. I don't think access is too bad but it was still a couple hours just to do plugs. And of course, without looking, I know this-and-that will be in the way. 2 hours tops for a real mechanic, a weekend long adventure for me.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So... how's it running now?

X2 on the valve cover tube seals needing to be replaced.

It's running GREAT now. Much smoother, more responsive, and starts quicker. It's too early to really be sure, but I also think fuel economy might be improved. I just filled the tank Monday, and I'll know the next time I fill it if I'm getting better economy.

As far as the gasket/seals go, I had considered that. The valve cover gasket for this car also includes 'inner gaskets' as shown in this pic:

120nhns.jpg

I'll be checking the plugs again in about 1000 miles to see if there's any new oil in the plug wells, and if there is, I'll be buying a new valve cover gasket set.

Unless you know that VCG set has been replaced, it is time. You were lucky to get past 150k miles before it leaked. although, maybe it has been leaking that whole time and you weren't aware.

I just replaced mine at 140k but due to the amount of oil in there, I think the leak/seep had been going on for 15k+ miles or more. The only time I can say for sure the plugs were dry was when I replaced them at 100k miles.

Not sure if I should start a thread for this or not, but... should the VC gasket just be replaced at spark plug time then? I mean, if the engine uses 120kmile plugs, then what are the odds of the gaskets making it another 120k then?

I was going to do plugs on my Camry in a few months but it sounds like I need to plan to do the VC gasket at the same time then.

Originally Posted By: supton
Not sure if I should start a thread for this or not, but... should the VC gasket just be replaced at spark plug time then? I mean, if the engine uses 120kmile plugs, then what are the odds of the gaskets making it another 120k then?

I was going to do plugs on my Camry in a few months but it sounds like I need to plan to do the VC gasket at the same time then.

What are people seeing for your engine? The ford/mazda 2.3, 2.5, etc. have a very well established history of needing it by 150k miles or less. What are toyota folks seeing?

I honestly haven't been following... it's a Toyota, and I'm the typical (oblivious) Toyota owner.

I don't see many complaints about the Camry, after a quick 30 second google search. But I'd rather have the parts on-hand. It's a nice long weekend this weekend, so maybe I should toss plugs and gaskets at it this weekend, and once done, pull the known-bad ones on my Tundra.

I did see complaints about it for my Tundra, not "tons" but since I know each bank did have oil on the plugs it's a done conclusion that it needs the job done. The Camry, well, same vintage, so...
21.gif

For anyone interested, I just went by my local dealer service department to talk about service history, etc.. I also brought one of these plugs in to ask their opinion.

2 seconds after the tech looked at it, he said "oh yeah, these are factory plugs."

So yeah, 215,000 miles on the factory Iridium plugs.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
For anyone interested, I just went by my local dealer service department to talk about service history, etc.. I also brought one of these plugs in to ask their opinion.

2 seconds after the tech looked at it, he said "oh yeah, these are factory plugs."

So yeah, 215,000 miles on the factory Iridium plugs.

The factory plugs I replaced a few months ago from my 11' Mazda6 with the 2.5L looked identical to your pictures. They were stamped with FoMoCo. The replacement OEM plugs called for in the manual are Motorcrafts.

I'd vote for the spilled oil theory, unless the marque generic faults suggested above are verified in your case.

Pretty much all my past cars have had oily plug recesses when I got them, but they cleaned up and didn't recur until I spilled some oil or had a rocker cover gasket go.

Plugs look OK apart from a wee bit of stained porcelain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back