Kohler K532 Engine John Deere 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

I just picked up a 1978 model year John Deere 400 lawn & garden tractor with 133 original hours on the OE Kohler K532.

I know oil technology has come a long way since 1978 as the manual states SAE30 in the summer, and 5W30 or 5W20 in the winter. Looking for some alternatives to the straight 30.

It came with the mower deck, frt. plow, and frt. snowblower so it will be used year round. Plan on changing out fluids soon before using, can I go with a heavy duty 5w30 whether synthetic or conventional such a diesel oil or 5w40 with strong additive pack year round? Any experience or suggestions?

Thank you

Why are you looking for alternatives?

While oils have greatly evolved, many people still like to run 30 in their OPE.

5w40 is good if you are going to snowblow.

or maybe 15w40 then change to 5w30 or 5w40 for winter.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Why are you looking for alternatives?

While oils have greatly evolved, many people still like to run 30 in their OPE.

Looking for year round protection, less maintenance hassle changing over seasons, and stocking the shelf with one vs. two kinds of oil.

Use what you have in the garage already if you have anything in the 30 or 40 range...if you have to go buy something the diesel stuff is awesome for OPE....that thing wont care...anything nowadays is better than any 1978 oil...imho.:)

Last edited:
I'd use 30 weight year round down here.

For your climate, 30 weight summer and Delo 10W30 or Rotella 10W30 winter would be ideal.

Delo 10W30 or Rotella 10W30 year round would be ok too.

My vote is go with any good 5w30 year round. 5w30 supertech would probably be a fine option in either synthetic or Dino.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'd run a full synthetic 10w30 all year round.
A top tier oil that is.

Good advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back