F1 - 2016 Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weekend Formula 1 fans wait for all year is upon us: Monaco. There’s something magical about this low-speed high-downforce track that snakes through the principality among all of its adornments: rich moguls, yachts, fine champagne, and spectacular vistas...

US TV SCHEDULE
Practice 1, Thursday May 26th, 4:00AM EST, NBC Sports Live Extra
Practice 2, Thursday May 26th, 8:00AM EST, NBCSN
Practice 3, Saturday May 27th, 5:00AM EST, NBC Sports Live Extra
Qualifying, Saturday May 27th, 8:00AM EST, NBCSN
Race, Sunday May 28th, 7:30AM EST, NBC

2015 (V6 TURBO ERA ) RESULTS
Laps: 78
Pole: Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
Fast race lap: 1:18.063
Podium
1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes

CURRENT STANDINGS
Drivers

1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team, 100
2. Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari, 61
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team, 57
Constructors
1. Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team, 157
2. Scuderia Ferrari, 109
3. Red Bull Racing, 94

For more, including track statistics, race info., and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports

06_Monaco_E_300DPI-886x498.jpg

Should be exciting again, lots of teammate quali battles to watch, even if the race isn't always the most interesting.
I predict Kvyat will go into the wall at some point, trying to hard to beat Sainz.
I wonder where McLaren will end up, hopefully both in the top 10 atleast.

I'm hoping we'll see one of the McLarens somewhere between P4-P6. That's a tough ask but doable if they put together the right strategy.

Gofast-thanks for posting this for each race. I enjoy the preview.

I'm a big racing fan (all types) and appreciate the F1 "circus". I'm kinda torn about all the hoopla over Monaco. They should pay half the prize money for qualifying because that's the real race. I enjoy watching the race mainly because of the many laps I've put in on GT.

Sunday, I will be sitting on the outside of Turn 1 with goosebumps as the green flag drops and 33 cars come blasting toward me at 200+. I think about constructors vs spec chassis and while we all love innovation and variety, the fact is the competition at Indy has never been better and F1 has become a bit of a parade, at least after Lap 1. No axe to grind-I enjoy both.

Last edited:
You're welcome! As long as people view and contribute to these threads I'll keep posting them!

Lots of incidents and damage in the first two practice sessions.

The ultra soft tires seemed to make many of the cars tail-happy. I'd imagine there will be some relatively significant setup changes for Saturday.

How about Ricciardo?!

He did a nice job! Given the flukey things that killed front wings this morning, I think God was mad at front wings today for some reason.
wink.gif
Look at the McLaren with the manhole cover, and then the Mercedes with the jack, of all things.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Gofast-thanks for posting this for each race. I enjoy the preview.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

That lap by Ricciardo was incredible. Monaco is a different beast, and sometimes gives results that aren't very comparable to the other circuits on the calendar. But his qualy today with the new Renault engine, combined with Verstappen's win in Spain, has me thinking that Red Bull is going to be seriously fast going forward. Also, what's going on at Ferrari?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Also, what's going on at Ferrari?

I think the commentators are being deliberately obtuse. Ferrari puts in a bad lap, and they're piling on. However, in FP2, Kimi's race pace, for instance, was better than almost anyone else's. And Vettel led FP3, which only got a passing mention. Of course, qualification is important at this track, and luck always plays an inordinate role.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Also, what's going on at Ferrari?

I think the commentators are being deliberately obtuse. Ferrari puts in a bad lap, and they're piling on. However, in FP2, Kimi's race pace, for instance, was better than almost anyone else's. And Vettel led FP3, which only got a passing mention. Of course, qualification is important at this track, and luck always plays an inordinate role.

Your point is a valid one. Although even commentary aside, Ferrari just always seems to be one step behind this season. They did do well in practice, but I don't always pay much attention to that, since it doesn't always translate to race pace. Also a shame that Verstappen's crashed out, since he was on a good pace that lap, even with the 'old' spec Renault engine.

That is absolutely true. Ferrari has had some really bad luck these season, never quite being where they should be. When they listed all of Kimi's "full load" lap times from FP2, they were pretty darned impressive. Of course, trying to pass here isn't going to be something you can rely on. You can be stuck behind someone with a blue flag long enough at Monaco, let alone trying to get by them on pace.

Ricciardo has a pretty good chance, assuming his tire strategy pays off and nothing terribly unplanned occurs tomorrow. It is funny now to see the Red Bull guys sucking up to Renault again, and even talking about extending the engine agreement.

The pressure will be on all around. Dr. Z is in Monaco, and I'm sure Marchionne will be, too.

Originally Posted By: Dad2leia
Purple Pirellis? We have a new tire compound this go round?

Yep, the Ultra Softs. Available for use only in Monaco and Canada. Or as the Sky F1 broadcast pundits called it, the 'magenta' tire. Love those guys.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I've had Tire Rack deliver tires to my home faster than the Red Bull team did for Ricciardo. Poor guy.

So true! Even with the long pit visit, can't call it a stop, Ricciardo came out right behind Hamilton. Any normal stop and the race was Ricciardos for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back