Mazda 3 drain and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 2010 non skyactive. Any idea how many quarts I'll get out when draining? And other tips on doing this. Need new washer or anything. My 1st time doing it on this car

Thanks

Is it the 2.0 engine? If so, sump capacity is 4.5 quarts.

How many quarts you'll get out when draining will depend on how low on oil you were at that time.

For ATF?

Look up on the Amsoil website for your specific vehicle/transmission. It will list capacities. I would use a new crush washer if it has a drain plug with a crush washer. But not all vehicles have a drain plug. Not all vehicles have a dipstick for the transmission.

I would use either OEM ATF or a top shelf one like Amsoil that covers your vehicles spec.

If in doubt, you could make sure you catch it all then pour into an empty 5 quart motor oil container. That should get you close if you don't spill.

Also, I think it's easiest to check it running, completely cold. If anywhere in the range don't add. You can check it hot later during a long trip.

A common mistake is to overfill using the hot range when it's not hot enough.

If its the 5-speed automatic, it will drain about 3.75 quarts. The 4-speeds I usually get 4.0 quarts.

I have never replaced the washer.

You'll need a hex wrench, 10mm if I remember correctly. Other that, its pretty straightforward.

I do this on my 2.5L 2010 Mazda6 periodically. I get about 3.1 to 3.2 qts out. Yes, it does have a dipstick. Be sure to use correct fluid. Mine uses the Mazda Type M-V fluid, which IS NOT Mercon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
I do this on my 2.5L 2010 Mazda6 periodically. I get about 3.1 to 3.2 qts out. Yes, it does have a dipstick. Be sure to use correct fluid. Mine uses the Mazda Type M-V fluid, which IS NOT Mercon.

My Fusion calls for the Mazda spec M-V, however I use M1 ATF with great results.

Sorry yes it is a automatic five-speed with a dipstick and drain pan Type m fluid

I have a 2007 model, 2.0 liter, with 4-speed auto, pan holds ~2 quarts. I do drain and fill via cooler line for about 7 quarts. 1st time was 36K, second time was 75K, it now has 95K, fluid still cherry red.

Originally Posted By: jay929
Sorry yes it is a automatic five-speed with a dipstick and drain pan Type m fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back