New car polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 2016 Mazda CX-5 a few months ago. Color is Metallic White. Been using Meguiar's sealants for protection and it's still in good shape.

Would like to give it that last bit of shine prior to trying a coating.

I've never run a DA before (still looking for the one to get), but have done plenty of wood sanding with a random orbit so the concepts are familiar.

Any recommendations?

Go to griotsgarage.com for everything you'll need. His product line is aimed at fool proof results. You may take a little longer than a pro to get the job done, but with that comes the confidence of not ruining anything.
Been using his stuff for decades.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Why polish away a new cars clear coat? If the paint looks good I'd just seal it.

That's my default reaction. Still trying to learn about all of this stuff. Taking a machine to it isn't firmly on the list, yet. Mazda paint seems to be thin and soft as well.

This industry is so vague and stacked with marketing that it's very hard to know what to use when for such things.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Go to griotsgarage.com for everything you'll need. His product line is aimed at fool proof results. You may take a little longer than a pro to get the job done, but with that comes the confidence of not ruining anything.

I have switched over to his products as well as some SONAX products. So far I have been very impressed. I know it isn't always the one the experts recommend, but I am still fairly new at all of this.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the ceramic coating geared more for a super shine or to last a long time?

It's main strength is durability in protecting the paint or other surfaces that it's applied to. The best for shine would probably be a carnauba wax but it won't last long.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: double vanos

I have switched over to his products as well as some SONAX products. So far I have been very impressed. I know it isn't always the one the experts recommend, but I am still fairly new at all of this.

So called experts are biased and opinionated, been using Griots products for a while and they are x-cellent, have the 6" DA buffer and it gives great results with paint, recently tried his 5" pads and they seem to work better than the 6" pads, polishes and wax are among the best.
cheers3.gif

Why polish away a new cars clear coat? If the paint looks good I'd just seal it.

I polish all my new cars before waxing, from the time the car rolls off the assy line till you buy it it's been sitting out in the elements for who knows how long, a good cleaner wax is also beneficial for new paint, cleans and protects in one step.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83

I polish all my new cars before waxing, from the time the car rolls off the assy line till you buy it it's been sitting out in the elements for who knows how long, a good cleaner wax is also beneficial for new paint, cleans and protects in one step.
cheers3.gif

This is where product names and descriptions are not standardized.

I consider a polish a product that does paint correction. It can remove scratches and swirls. A cleaner wax is not a real polish no matter what it is called. A cleaner wax could be used a thousand times and not effect the thickness of the clear coat. A true polish will remove clear coat and over use will thin the clear coat.

This is where product names and descriptions are not standardized.

I consider a polish a product that does paint correction. It can remove scratches and swirls. A cleaner wax is not a real polish no matter what it is called. A cleaner wax could be used a thousand times and not effect the thickness of the clear coat. A true polish will remove clear coat and over use will thin the clear coat.

Terminology is all over the place. Meguiar's considers a cleaner to be something that WILL "clean" defects and a polish to be something that "adds gloss."

Originally Posted By: Malo83

cheers3.gif

What product and method are you using for polish?

If I stick with sealant I might give Meguiar's White Wax a shot as it is supposed to have some abrasive properties.

let's not forget that many (most?) new car dealers run their cars through a "detail" department at least once before the car is sold, and frequently multiple times..

.. This adds the "dealer installed swirl option" to a lot of new cars. A good basic polishing can help clean things up prior to the initial coating.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
let's not forget that many (most?) new car dealers run their cars through a "detail" department at least once before the car is sold, and frequently multiple times..

.. This adds the "dealer installed swirl option" to a lot of new cars. A good basic polishing can help clean things up prior to the initial coating.

Nothing is better than the dealer installed swirl package. I was lucky with both my Mustang and my mom's Fusion that I managed to not let them go to detail so I did not receive the privilege.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the ceramic coating geared more for a super shine or to last a long time?

It's main strength is durability in protecting the paint or other surfaces that it's applied to. The best for shine would probably be a carnauba wax but it won't last long.

So if I wanted a once (maybe twice) a year product for 2015 vehicles, this would be a good choice?

Even new vehicles can use claying (or nanoskining) and a light polish before a "last step" application.

BTW: I've been using PC 7424 with good results. The newer da's out there are more powerful, but at an added price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back