Quicksilver Prem Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all !

Long time reader of BITOG but first time poster.

I have a 1995 Johnson 130 V4 Looper engine, nice thirsty carbed 2 stroke. I've run Royal Purple (over kill but it was on clearance) and Pennzoil premium in the engine the last couple of months since I purchased it.

My question comes regarding the Moly in Quicksilver Premium Plus oil. Does anyone know why they would put such high amounts of it in the oil? Does it cause soot/carbon VS another oil without it?

Pennz Premium/Mercury Premium Plus
Copper - 0/0
Iron - 0/3
Chromium - 0/0
Aluminum - 0/6
Lead - 0/0

Additives(PPM):
Molybdenum -2/1050 Phosphorus - 9/32
Zinc - 15/39
Magnesium - 0/0
Calcium - 38/120

Sulfur - 72%/0 Oxidation - 11%/0
Nitration - 5%/0
Soot - 0%/0

Iam pretty sure the Mercury has dual ratings of TCW 3 and TC. Pennzoil is TCW3 oil. TC oil has to much more robust package for air cooled engines as well as water cooled. That's my only guess. Used the Mercury and still do. Great stuff.

Sulphur is an anti wear additive/lubricant. Like in diesel fuel. Surprised the epa lets them put that much in.

The Pennzoil is the Premium Plus TCW3 semi synthetic Variant, as is the Quicksilver.. Not the DFI oil (direct injection).

Any advantage looking at the numbers from one to the other. I have never ran the Quicksilver, I have no doubt that it is quality oil however Merc/Quicksilver is not in the oil refining business and Pennzoil is.

As it stands now, my 1995 Outboard is so clean inside I can just about read the cast #'s on top of the pistons. No idea what oils in the past were ran through this engine, but I did decarbon it with seafoam upon buying it. Would like to keep the carbon out without using additives.

Which is is ideal and why? The cost of these two oils are the same.

I ran that one in the 96' model for 10 years - ran the OEM oil - and when we took off heads the water jackets were dirty but Pistons/bore were also pristine ...
Never tried the Pennz in the stroker - but did run their gear lube in that motor ...

Which oil did you run? Since Johnsons were purchased by Evinrude the new oils are XD30,50,100.

The available options via Wally world and Academy are: Penz Premium Syn blend, Quicksilver Syn blend and wally world oil.

It's a choice between the penz and quicksilver. I can't see that moly not leaving lots of soot/deposits.

I plan on using Penz lower unit oil when I change out the water pump next week. $6/qt VS $20 for the OEM stuff.

Just a thought. I saw when figuring out which oils would work great a man in a forum said that using cheap 2stroke oils tc-w3 oils and I am pretty dang sure it goes for our power equipment, too, that the cheaper oils just give mechanics great business due to having to work on our outboards and such.

Sorry to state what could be very big issue to debate, but with my backpack blower, chainsaw, and weed eaters I try to ONLY USE STIHL ultra oil. Props to them in that dept.

As for outboard 2stroke I use the quicksilver premium plus in a 50merc 3 carb and the plain premium quicksilver oil in the '96 model 15hp Evinrude when I was recently told that OMC owned it years back and that was great. Now the company is owned by the same company that manufactures CAN-AM power sport toys. That was a stunned me. Can Ams aren't popular down here and new Evinrudes aren't either. Sad to say.

Originally Posted By: jmw116
The Pennzoil is the Premium Plus TCW3 semi synthetic Variant, as is the Quicksilver.. Not the DFI oil (direct injection).

As it stands now, my 1995 Outboard is so clean inside I can just about read the cast #'s on top of the pistons. No idea what oils in the past were ran through this engine, but I did decarbon it with seafoam upon buying it. Would like to keep the carbon out without using additives.

Seafoam through just adding to fuel tank or straight through to the carbs or vacuum line which I didn't know was possible.

Good question. Since I have used it by the cleaning the intake trick by means of brake booster hose slowly on my xj.

Jmw, alotta guys like the pennz tcw3... easily available, good price. The quicksilver gets good grades for a Walmart pickup...
I like the royal purple myself... buy in bulk for good price... also used big blast of seafoam every tank... my new optimax came with tractor supply tcw3...

That was not around in those days - guess the eTec motor was not either.
Never used that Merc oil - my only Merc was an OptiMax =special oil ...

Pennzoil has a name for good products - sure easy to find ...

I'm going to stick to the Pennzoil Semi Syn that i was using in my previous boat once my Royal purple runs out. LOVE that royal purple stuff
smile.gif
but not going to pay $40 a gallon for it in a carb'ed 2 stroke. It still smokes with the full synthetic oil in it, nothing is going to stop that.

I have a feeling that the merc prem is best suited for an EFI/Direct injection motor which has much higher combustion temps than my carbed engine.

In 2 stroke lawn equipment, its either Stihl HP Ultra (synthetic) or Redline Racing oil. I fly R/C aircraft with 2 stroke engines on them, and after multiple flying seasons, the redline results in a piston that still looks new.

Running Royal Purple in my four stroke - OEM (Yammy) was 5W-30, but the RP is 10w-30 ...
Should not be an issue since OEM Dino is 10w ...
If it's cold enough to matter - I'll be by the fireplace with some Royal Purple in the Sack !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back