Creating white letter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been brainstorming how to make white letter tires from modern blackwalls and after a lot of research I'm thinking the best thing is to cut out the sidewall on the old bfg's and black silicone it to the sidewall of the new tire. People say white marker pens look crummy. And those expensive glue on rubber letters look cheesy.

Just buy a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires and be done with it.

on my BMW I had 16's but recently got a set of nice Ronal 15's. After some wheel repairs I'm going to run them on the BMW with the BF Goodrich tires.

It's gonna be my period-correct homage to American muscle
thumbsup2.gif

white marker pens will look pretty good at the beginning, go a few washes they will turn crummy. I have given up on coloring the letters on my tires.

I've had great success with oil-based paint pens. Sharpie makes the ones I've used in the past. Oh, and keep silicon-based tire shine away from the letters.

Here is a motorcycle tire I did a few years ago.

These were really nice Heidenau (German) race tires for a custom bike I was building.
I started out with this:
Pic1-1.jpg

I then made the letters silver:
Pic2-1.jpg

Then I outlined them in gold:
Pic3-1.jpg

They still look great. I had to re-do them once, because of the tire shine. Live and learn. But it's been 5 years and about 18,000 miles and they still look pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Um.

What.

That's pretty cool...except the guy probably breathed a lot of rubber dust and exhaust. Although it's only a thin layer of rubber being removed, isn't there a question of tire integrity at higher speeds? I'm sure it's fine for a 99% parade vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I've had great success with oil-based paint pens. Sharpie makes the ones I've used in the past. Oh, and keep silicon-based tire shine away from the letters.

Here is a motorcycle tire I did a few years ago.

These were really nice Heidenau (German) race tires for a custom bike I was building.
I started out with this:
Pic1-1.jpg

I then made the letters silver:
Pic2-1.jpg

Then I outlined them in gold:
Pic3-1.jpg

They still look great. I had to re-do them once, because of the tire shine. Live and learn. But it's been 5 years and about 18,000 miles and they still look pretty darn good.

Nice with the gold outline
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back