Best filter for extended oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Back in the 70s, my father used to run more than 30,000 kms on the ocod filters (20k miles) and oil. Carbed cars. No wonder some engines didn't went past 160k kms (100k miles). Oil was Shell Super 20w40, maybe the heydays to todays Formula or PYB.

What is it about a carbureted car that makes a difference for the oil filter?

Well carbed vehicles don't have full time, on time, fine tuning, that 02 sensor and maf sensors gives to the calculator to remap afr. They don't adjust for atmospheric changes or pressure height changes encountered in a trip, as efi does. And they get out of calibration much easier. The idling excess fuel is exagerated. Intake restriction by dirt air fikter make a rich condition, they use choke. Manifold spraying, makes the ugly droplet fueling ... So the contamination of oil and detergent depletion is much worst than efi cars, making a dirty engine and that ruins oil filters. I thought everybody knew those differences.

Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't know that oil filters removed fuel and reversed "detergent depletion".

Back in the 70s, my father used to run more than 30,000 kms on the ocod filters (20k miles) and oil. Carbed cars. No wonder some engines didn't went past 160k kms (100k miles). Oil was Shell Super 20w40, maybe the heydays to todays Formula or PYB.

What is it about a carbureted car that makes a difference for the oil filter?

Well carbed vehicles don't have full time, on time, fine tuning, that 02 sensor and maf sensors gives to the calculator to remap afr. They don't adjust for atmospheric changes or pressure height changes encountered in a trip, as efi does. And they get out of calibration much easier. The idling excess fuel is exagerated. Intake restriction by dirt air fikter make a rich condition, they use choke. Manifold spraying, makes the ugly droplet fueling ... So the contamination of oil and detergent depletion is much worst than efi cars, making a dirty engine and that ruins oil filters. I thought everybody knew those differences.

Thanks, I didn't know that oil filters removed fuel and reversed "detergent depletion".

Pretty sure that isn't what Pontual said.

~ Triton

Purolator, Royal Purple, Fram, Wix, every major manufacturer has a model to accommodate a long distance application.

It basically just boils down to cost (some people are cheap), accessibility (how easy are they to find) and semantics.
coffee2.gif

Most people here put the Ultra on a pedestal, but truth be told, there are better options out there.
36.gif

Not sure which one to use? Buy one of each and try them out! Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636

Most people here put the Ultra on a pedestal, but truth be told, there are better options out there.

LoL ... not really.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

LoL ... not really.

The FRAM Ultra oil filter is an excellent filter and is pretty hard to beat. If I had to rank which filter would be #1, I guess I would have to say FRAM Ultra, in my opinion. The reason I say this has to do with the filter's construction, media, efficiency, mileage rating/filter longevity, availability, price, etc. There are other top notch filters (like Royal Purple, for example), but I believe that FRAM outdid themselves with the Ultra.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Castrol GTX Conventional 5W-30
FRAM Tough Guard Oil Filter #TG3614
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

LoL ... not really.

Yes...really.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

LoL ... not really.

The FRAM Ultra oil filter is an excellent filter and is pretty hard to beat. If I had to rank which filter would be #1, I guess I would have to say FRAM Ultra, in my opinion. The reason I say this has to do with the filter's construction, media, efficiency, mileage rating/filter longevity, availability, price, etc. There are other top notch filters (like Royal Purple, for example), but I believe that FRAM outdid themselves with the Ultra.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Castrol GTX Conventional 5W-30
FRAM Tough Guard Oil Filter #TG3614
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

Is it a good filter? Sure. Is it the best? No. Is it the best Fram has to offer? Sure but that isn't saying much. The others in their lineup are nothing but cardboard and glue, so take it for what it is worth.
13.gif

^^^ And no, a Royal Purple isn't better than the Ultra. That dead horse has been beat way too many times.
grin.gif

Most people here put the Ultra on a pedestal, but truth be told, there are better options out there. :popcorn2

If you're talking about cartridge oil filter then there are better filter than Fram Ultra, especially cartridge filter for European vehicles.

But for just spin-on filter then here is no better filter than Fram Ultra, regardless of cost. Taken cost and 15k miles FCI into account Ultra is a much better value than anything on market, if you use it up to 15k miles.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

~ Triton

Isn't it?
whistle.gif

Spare us the anti-FRAM rhetoric and do tell what spin-on full flow filters have the same performance for the cost.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

~ Triton

Isn't it?
whistle.gif

Wait... What?

How does an oil filter remove gasoline from the oil?

And unless you're using Fram high mileage filters, an oil filter cannot do squat about depletion of additives. Oil filters remove dirt, sludge, and impurities, and that's it.

(Now, if you were just kidding by saying "isn't it?" then my bad.)

~ Triton

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Spare us the anti-FRAM rhetoric and do tell what spin-on full flow filters have the same performance for the cost.

Spare you the anti fram rhetoric? Please, I can and will speak freely about this nonsense as this isn't Framistheonlyguy.com....yet...
02.gif

Cost is subjective, and that being said, someone who would rather save a buck or two over buying a better filter are not at all worried about performance.

What is the best filter? Good question...

Big Hint: It is purple...

The microgreen when used as described by them is probably the cheapest regimen.

Their deal is you keep the sump for 30K miles, and only change the filter and add makeup oil @ 10 and 20K then dump the sump at 30.

The bypass extends the TBN life by scrubbing contaminants out of the oil allowing the additive pack to last longer as it doesn't have to work as hard suspending particles.

The guys here are quick to point out MG doesn't print specific ISO test performance, but makes blanket claims so MG gets heat for that but their president is ex champ labs president so they likely know a thing or 2 about filters.

Its mail order only and you only get a deal in packs of 2 - annoying.

As an inexpensive spin on the ultra is hard to beat I run it as well, but I have some nitpicks about it.

The can is a bit thin compared to bosch distance, RP, or microgreen
The retail box is "sealed" only with a little tab leaving the bottom easy to flip open and subject to the old swaperoo which is no big deal to me as I just don't buy an opened box.
The filter itself isn't wrapped across the bottom.

As an aside - my nuclear group has had a failure- which I personally trace back to post manufacturing damage ignored by the buyer - so I blame the buyer.

The amsoil filter and their horrifically expensive oil will give you a long OCI

Last edited:
How about getting a low efficiency filter (Supertech, Driveworks, etc.) for cheap and running it for that interval? I'm 100% positive it will make it. AND as filter does it's job - its efficiency improves. SOOO they longer you run it - the better it filters TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. I would easily run it for 20k in a clean engine. Makes sense?
*puts on a flamesuit*

The Mann fleece filter as MB calls it, would be my pick. If they make it for your BMW. The Purolator Boss may have the same element, not too many out there yet though.

^^^ And no, a Royal Purple isn't better than the Ultra. That dead horse has been beat way too many times.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Spare you the anti fram rhetoric? Please, I can and will speak freely about this nonsense as this isn't Framistheonlyguy.com....yet...
02.gif

Cost is subjective, and that being said, someone who would rather save a buck or two over buying a better filter are not at all worried about performance.

As with your history since joining BITOG, your posts are borderline troll and full of deflection--that never stops you and of course you are free to post whatever you like. In addition, there is no nonsense (except perhaps what you post) about what filter FOR THE MONEY is the best on the market today. It is certainly not a Royal Purple filter that costs at least 50% more than any other wire backed media filter (except perhaps Amsoil)—does that filter last 50% longer and have 50% better efficiency? Highly doubtful.

grin.gif

Your right, the RP V. FU Debate was ended long ago. Can thickness: Point RP. Baseplate: Point RP. ADBV: Tie, same material. Media: Point RP. Efficiency: Virtually Identical. The RP meets or exceeds the Ultra in every category but cost. But you know, it is Purple and not made by Fram so it must be hated and evil.
sick.gif

Once again, cost is subjective but only in America will someone complain about spending a couple extra dollars on an oil filter to protect the engine of a $30k+ vehicle.
crazy.gif

The Royal Purple and Amsoil filters are almost identical in build construction and quality.

Even if they may not be viewed as the "best" here, cut them open and look sometime. Build quality is much better than the majority of the other filters out there specd for the same application. Are they more expensive...uhm...yes? But you get what you pay for. The only reason I would say RP takes the advantage over the Amsoil is because you can buy the RP in retail, Amsoil, well...not so much.

If you are judging "best" based on filtration alone, then obviously the microgreen wins hands down, no question about it. They are just not as easily accessible and readily available in retail outlets as opposed to the other big name manufacturers, but they are just a click away with Free shipping to the continental US so, I suppose they do win hands down.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back