adhesive for pea gravel?

I use pea gravel along the fence and in parts of my yard to prevent weeds. The problem is it's hard to sweep away leaves because it disturbs the gravel. What's a good adhesive for the gravel that allows drainage and that's long lasting?

I don't think there is any such thing. Sometimes pea gravel walkways are coated with epoxy or the pea gravel is embedded into concrete, but yours is not only already down, but you have a drainage requirement. By it's nature, any sort of "adhesive" that you put on the stone will not allow any drainage. And of course, any sort of adhesive is going to look pretty awful unless you really know what you're doing. Something like Gravel Lok might work to keep it from moving, but it's not something you just dump on, it's expensive, and it won't allow for drainage.

Personally I'd just use a blower on the leaves-you can keep it far enough away so the leaves get moved off but the gravel stays in place.

There is a material just for this problem.
I've seen it used in Public Spaces.

I watched the worker applying it.
It came in a 5 gallon bucket and had the viscosity of syrup.
The pea gravel was in place and he poured this syrup over it.
When cured, the gravel stayed in place and allowed for water drainage.
I remember this because I thought, Wow, what a great product/idea.

I don't know what it was called.
Do a internet search or call some building suppliers.

I've been messing with making geopolymers with fly ash for a few years on and off now.

I'm betting that sodium silicate (water glass) COULD do the job, with a caustic soda activator.

One of my best was fly ash, wet to a plasticine consistency with sodium silicate solution (harvested from head gasket sealer), then an amount of caustic soda added, which dissolved in the goop, got hot, then set (literally) rock hard.

You can buy sodium silicate, not so easy down here, so I make it with silica gel and caustic soda as well.

I think with some messing you could get it to work.

There's some plastic type adhesives down here.

http://www.pouron.com.au/faqs/

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I use pea gravel along the fence and in parts of my yard to prevent weeds. The problem is it's hard to sweep away leaves because it disturbs the gravel. What's a good adhesive for the gravel that allows drainage and that's long lasting?
Liquid roofing tar. The stuff that comes in 5 gallon cans at HD. Rake out the gravel, put down a layer about an inch thick, then put the gravel directly into the tar. It will be stuck in place forever.,,,,

If your looking for something that's permeable your going to have a hard time. If you can slope the gravel so water will run off of it then you can pour a strip of concrete and set the pea gravel in the surface.

Most people use landscape rock and put filter fabric under it and lawn edging around the perimeter to keep grass from intruding, then use a leaf blower to remove the leaves.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I've seen it used in Public Spaces.

I watched the worker applying it.

I've seen this stuff before used to resurface the area around a pool with numerous cracks in the concrete decking. It did drain well and stay cool to the feet in Tx sun.

Originally Posted by larryinnewyork
I've seen it used in Public Spaces.I watched the worker applying it.

Larry, you might be referring to the liquid adhesive binder called Gravel Lok. its a good product and might just be appropriate for the application above for pea gravel. Here are some specs on it.
Gravel-Lok Technical Specs

Originally Posted by MainlineMobile
Originally Posted by larryinnewyork
I've seen it used in Public Spaces.I watched the worker applying it.

Larry, you might be referring to the liquid adhesive binder called Gravel Lok. its a good product and might just be appropriate for the application above for pea gravel. Here are some specs on it.
Gravel-Lok Technical Specs

Larry is not here anymore.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And I'm going to guess that MainlineMobile is connected with the product he's promoting.

Good catch.

Back