Top Tier Gasoline = only 5 miles more per tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I always get less mileage when I use "top tier". I stick with Pilot or Kroger gas, since they are convenient to me.

For all I know, they are "top tier".
+1

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I use RaceTrac gas and a bottle of Techron every 10K miles.

No need for top tier gas for me.
+1

Originally Posted By: wemay
What i don't understand is how some people need to "drive around" to find a TT station. Around here, that's all we have...

Shell
Chevron
Costco
Mobil
Exxon
Valero
BP
Citgo

The only non-TT is Marathon.
Best gas prices and easiest to find vendor here is Cumberland Farms. I don't know who they buy from these days and don't care. There's already enough detergent in gas these days be Federal mandate. I would go out of my way not to have to buy this alcohol cut bleep, though.

People are still trying to push Top Tier fuels??? Here in south central PA, our fuel market is dominated by Sheetz, Rutter's, Turkey Hill, BJ's, Sam's Club, etc. 187k miles on my '06 Camry and no fuel related issues. Still get 28-29 mpg.

Buy from stations that get a lot of business which ensures fresh gas. Keeping up with the maintenance of your car is far more important than Top Tier gas.

If you have a GDI vehicle you can probably consider high detergent gas as important maintenance and/or preventative maintenance. To me, that means no Quik-E-Mart gas versus name brand gas where, besides usually being TT where I am, also means their tanks are likely to be maintained and have a constant turnover of fuel.

I already pay .50 cents/gallon more than the national average for Clean Air Gas, so if being TT is costing more I'd never know it and go with the known commodity.

Top Tier gasoline might not go AS far on a gallon as other gasolines. Detergents have lower energy density than the bulk gasoline, after all.

For the most part, I think "Top Tier" is the biggest scam ever. A refiner just pays a fee for the right to claim they're "top tier" and then promise they'll use a certain level of cleaning additives. Totally self-enforced (useless) as far as I know.

I try to get gas at Costco. That's Top Tier by definition. My turbo Cruze is definitely peppier on their gas than others. Maybe because it's fresher, or maybe because it's TT? Being cheaper by 30-40 cents/gallon for premium also helps my decision to shop there. The cars that run on 87 don't seem to notice a difference except with really bottom-barrel stations.

I try to stick to premium. Especially traveling, I have come across Alon stations and Cumberland Farms stations offering cheap gas, yet pulling up to them I have found a lot of them sell 85/86 as Regular, 88/89 as mid grade, and 90/91 as premium.

The GDI in the Veloster is way more peppier on 93 octane, even reviewers of the car have said "Maybe Hyundai tuned this thing to run on Regular, to compete with some Subarus requiring premium"

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Driving around trying to find "Top Tier" and spending several cents more per gallon to achieve the same results would be a total waste of my time.

Of course, but here, where Top Tier is exactly the same price as everything else gives us a different scenario altogether. I have complete confidence in a lot of non-Top Tier gasoline out there, particularly from certain retailers, and where I know the tanks are decent and they get decent throughput. But, I similarly question the wisdom of people trying to save a few cents a gallon by going to some of the grimiest stations of seen in my life and waiting in massive lineups to buy gas.

But, Shell's advertising is clearly working. The only times I've ever actually had to wait to fill up at a large station has been Shell lately, and that's with an Esso across the street at the same price, both being Top Tier.

In the few times that I have not used top tier, I have never seen any difference in MPG or performance. If there is any difference, it is too small to notice. But that's NOT what top tier is about. Primarily it is for keeping your internals clean and keeping performance, MPG and pollution from deteriorating with time. Secondarily it is about cleaning engines somewhat that have deposits forming from using fuel with less detergency.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Quote:
Compared to minimum detergent gasoline. Requires continuous use over 5000 miles. Restores an average of 3 - 5 miles per tank that had been lost due to deposits.

You should reread it.

It restores at the RATE of 3 - 5 miles per tank which means it could take up to 6 to 8 tanks to achieve 18-24 miles per tank minimum or upto 30 to 40 miles per tank improvement at best then rewrite your opening statement to the thread.

After the fuel system is clean there is no more improvement just maintenance.
Bit hard to improve on the OEM mpg unless the chip is reprogrammed to make most of the 98 Ron.

It also states Best Improvements are noted in older vehicles. And only if the fuel system requires cleaning.

For me it is advertising by the marketing arm not the technical arm of BP.

Last edited:
What would be the difference in Constantly Using Top Tier versus Using a PEA Detergent with every 10000mi fillip on non top tier?

I'm going to guess, nothing.
Maybe as mentioned a GDi engine, yet even then, as long as you're filling up on "non top tier name brand" (Sunocos, WaWas, Racetracs, Flying J/pilot, Loves) you should be fine, As they're probably more reputable (with hundreds of locations) and you know you're probably
Getting government minimum.

Now when you pull up to that rat motel for gas that has free chicken gizzards and Shasta with a tank of gas at Inner City Star Mart, you're going to wanna be careful.

I used to scoff at Top Tier gasoline until I read up more about it here and on other sites. I still was not convinced, so I started using it whenever possible a few years ago. I had a car at the time that needed the throttle body cleaned once a year, and chewed up O2 sensors. That all ended after about a year. The throttle body cleaning interval at least doubled, and I noticed too that when I went to do my usual clean the gunk was not as thick or as hard. I did the same for my outboard and motorcycle gasoline and I have noticed that the carbs stay cleaner, the fuel seems to last better in storage, the bottom of the fuel jugs stay much cleaner, the spark plugs stay cleaner, and when I take the fuel filters off they are clean too. Is this just a coincidence? I don't know, but I'll take the good luck and stick with Top Tier.

Top Tier is about the same price in my area, in fact, the Valero I fill up at frequently is usually the cheapest station in town!

For me, that makes the decision a no brainer!

Originally Posted By: cronk
Top Tier is about the same price in my area, in fact, the Valero I fill up at frequently is usually the cheapest station in town!

For me, that makes the decision a no brainer!

Normally, 711 by my house is 4 cents cheaper than the Texaco or Valeros on the way to work, that's just it though, theyre on the way to work, 711 is 3/4 mile in the other direction. I just fill up at the Valero Corner Store on the way. Top Tier Gas and Top Tier Jamaican Beef Patties too!
thumbsup2.gif
lol

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I used to scoff at Top Tier gasoline until I read up more about it here and on other sites. I still was not convinced, so I started using it whenever possible a few years ago. I had a car at the time that needed the throttle body cleaned once a year, and chewed up O2 sensors. That all ended after about a year. The throttle body cleaning interval at least doubled, and I noticed too that when I went to do my usual clean the gunk was not as thick or as hard. I did the same for my outboard and motorcycle gasoline and I have noticed that the carbs stay cleaner, the fuel seems to last better in storage, the bottom of the fuel jugs stay much cleaner, the spark plugs stay cleaner, and when I take the fuel filters off they are clean too. Is this just a coincidence? I don't know, but I'll take the good luck and stick with Top Tier.

I am having some trouble seeing how top tier had anything to do with the throttle body. The main reason that throttle bodies even get junk on them is due to those times with PCV pressures are such that the "clean" side of the PCV, that part that attaches from the valve cover to the intake between the air filter and throttle body, has to take some of the CC pressure and some oil vapor comes along with it. Usually during WOT events.

Not disparaging top tier use. If one feels it does better, than use it. I like more reasoned results that show a benefit that can be quantified outside of the other variables like the one I mentioned. Even if top tier locations were the same price as non top tier, which they are not in my area, burning up the extra couple of gallons of fuel to get to them does not provide me with enough incentive to seek them out. The vast majority of fuel outlets in my area are not top tier. And those few locations that are, generally run around 4-5 cents a gallon more and are further away from me. Seems the OEM's forgot that more than city folks use their vehicles. Closest town to me is 8 miles away and only has a small fuel stop / convenience store option. The next town, 15 miles away, has majority of non top tier locations. The two that do have TT, are on the other side of that town from me and more interstate highway oriented in their pricing. That would be over a 40 mile round trip just to get TT fuel that costs more per gallon. Not worth it. I just drop in a couple of bottles of Techron, Amsoil P.I., or Gumout Regane into the 36 gallon gas tank when I fill up around oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Top Tier isn't about going further on a gallon of gas. It's about detergents that keep the engine internals cleaner than companies who use only the minimum additives required by law.
And what "engine internals" are those other than the back of the valve tops and injectors? On DI engines probably not even the valve tops. The minimum additive standard, set by government regulation, does a reasonable job of that. I've got 350K o n a Camry which has only received "Top Tier" by accident.

Top of pistons

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: wemay
What i don't understand is how some people need to "drive around" to find a TT station. Around here, that's all we have...

Shell
Chevron
Costco
Mobil
Exxon
Valero
BP
Citgo

The only non-TT is Marathon.
Best gas prices and easiest to find vendor here is Cumberland Farms. I don't know who they buy from these days and don't care. There's already enough detergent in gas these days be Federal mandate. I would go out of my way not to have to buy this alcohol cut bleep, though.

Their coffee is good too.

There is a shell station on my way home which is comparable to the other stations in the area, maybe .05 more. My cars seem to run nicer on it and with the shell card I get at least .03 off so it's really only .02 more than the no namers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back