What trans fluid for a modded 700R4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Regal build continues, this time, transmission.

I picked up a healthy 700R4 a month ago and am putting in a combination of the 700-2&3 and SK 700 JR TransGo kits. Looking for recommendations on what fluid to run in this. It will be going behind an LM7 LS truck motor. Looking for a decent 325hp. I have heard a lot about using Type F, but then see listings for Type FA. Would prefer to use an over-the-counter fluid.

Thanks.

I would think most good Syn Dex3 spec fluid like Valvoline maxlife would work fine.

But also make sure to have a trans cooler as even the best fluid can't help if the trans gets to hot.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
What kind of transmission fluid did the 700R4 spec?

What kind of fluid did your Blazer's spec?

700R4 = 4L60/65/70

Valvoline MaxLife ATF is entirely appropriate, and widely available at under $18/gallon.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
What kind of transmission fluid did the 700R4 spec?

Spec'd Dex III back in the day.

How are you going to be using this Blazer? Tracking, off-roading, towing, daily driver, what?

The 700R4 speced Dexron III/Mercon.

I have rebuilt many of these for my former Suburbans.

I would use either Amsoil TorqueDrive or Redline D4 if you are not going to be Tracking, off-roading, or towing.

If you will be towing or off-roading or tracking I would use the Redline High-Temp ATF.

The 700R4 is NOT a racing tranny and under no circumstances would I use a type "F" ATF.

Where did Blazer come from? This is a THM700R4 going behind a 5.3 LM7 truck motor in a G-Body Regal.

It's going in it for heaters, some fun runs, and general enjoyment. If it lasts a season or two, I'll be happy. I figure it should be a good combo with a N/A or sprayed LM7 before I bite the bullet, go 4L80 and LQ4 with turbos.

Originally Posted By: redhat
If it lasts a season or two, I'll be happy.

I'd much rather spend my money on a good cooler vs. boutique oils.

A standalone Tru-Cool 4590 (11 x 11 x 1 1/2) would be excellent for your car.

Maxlife gets my vote, impressive stuff. My built
Transmission loves it and shifts great with it and runs cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back