Pat Goss also likes the spring type hose clamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: nobb
I've found that with age, spring clamps need to be positioned in exactly the same indents they were originally positioned on the hose otherwise you'll get leaks when pressurized up.

If that did happen...would replacing the clamp fix the problem, or would it warrant replacing the hose?

nobb is the correct. If this occurred, you will need to replace the hose.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I've found that with age, spring clamps need to be positioned in exactly the same indents they were originally positioned on the hose otherwise you'll get leaks when pressurized up.

If that did happen...would replacing the clamp fix the problem, or would it warrant replacing the hose?

nobb is the correct. If this occurred, you will need to replace the hose.

Yep, it's the hose that degrades, not the clamps. With age the hose gets less flexible and you get high/low spots based on where the clamp is fixed. The annoying part is you might see minor coolant seepage at first but it will be hard to diagnose because the leaks don't occur until the engine is hot and the coolant is pressurized.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What kind of cars have you seen this on? I'm asking because on my two Toyotas and the Hohda, I have never ever seen a leak due to the clamp.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've found over many mile the spring clamps weaken and start to leak. The real benefit to them is quick, consistent install for the manufacture.

No leaks in my 13 year old VW with 210K miles either (at least at the time I sold it).

My '01 Civic with 295k miles has all original clamps on it.
crazy.gif

if a hose clamp from factory cause issue? just apply vaseline to the offending collar and it should do its job ! you can polish the insideof the callar to make it less sticky but those are way underrated . dont want issue with your car ? use them . it isnt by luck Honda use them .they are insanelly good .only place you ll need spring type collar might be on an intercooler or turbo and even then i aint sure they re better

I just went and made an adjustment so the clamp was exactly on its old marks and sure enough it worked! It wasn't a leak but I could smell coolant when it was hot the smell is gone! thanks nobb

I long ago replaced spring clamps on a now 300,000 mile Camry with worm gear clamps and have had not a drop of leaking.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What kind of cars have you seen this on? I'm asking because on my two Toyotas and the Hohda, I have never ever seen a leak due to the clamp.

I've found over many mile the spring clamps weaken and start to leak. The real benefit to them is quick, consistent install for the manufacture.
Ford Taurus and my Hyundais. Basically every car I've had over the years. Barely noticeable but I find a green crust at the hose ends when the leak. Also explains the slow coolant loss that requires topping off the overflow.

If you get a new OEM hose form Ford or Hyundai it comes with the spring clamps already on it and in the correct positions. Just slip it on and pop out the plastic piece holding the spring clamp open. Obvious why they are used by OEMs.

If you get a new OEM hose form Ford or Hyundai it comes with the spring clamps already on it and in the correct positions. Just slip it on and pop out the plastic piece holding the spring clamp open. Obvious why they are used by OEMs.
That's a pretty cool way to sell hoses.

When I replaced my radiator last December, I reused my vintage 2007 hoses that previously had worm clamps on them and places 20 year old spring clamps from the junkyard over the indents on the hoses and it worked just fine.

Not all new OEM hoses come with the clamps. At least not on my Ford.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Not all new OEM hoses come with the clamps. At least not on my Ford.
Pardon me......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back