Thoughts on buying a car with a rebuilt title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It totally kills the resale and negates the factory warranty.

This is from the Subaru site:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html
Quote:
Cars Ineligible for Warranty Coverage

The vehicle is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle identification number is altered or cannot be read; if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined.

So, only buy it if resale doesn't matter.

To me, it would be OK for a cheap commuter that I planned to keep until it had very little value. But to spend $15k on a car with a salvage title? No thanks.

This.

I agree on how rebuilt could work, salvage title, if the goal was to never resell. However, this car sounds overpriced. The seller sounds like he is comparing Blue Book value to that of a perfect vehicle.

I wonder if insurance wrote off the car, in which case, every dollar may be profit for the seller.

What do you mean by that? How would he have gotten the car for free?

The emission controls warranty can be 8-10 years depending on the state. It covers a lot of expensive to replace parts. I was rear ended in my 99 Infinity q45, rear trunk smashed in almost to the window, frame bent, totaled. About six months later it was on CL for sale, minor cosmetic damage only in the accident they said. For sure they are not all like that, some may just have been failing smog and went to the junk yard, but who knows without pictures. Warranties are over.

Don't.

Just, don't.

The laws have changed. It can be very hard to register the car (nearly impossible in VA) and it will be very difficult to insure the car. Further, this car is way, way overpriced.

Not only are you purchasing a potential host of issues, along with voiding the warranty not many insurance companies will give you collision insurance on it, and some won't insure it at all. And if you're planning on financing it, unless you use Fast Louie's Auto Loans and Pawnbroker service you may find that you can't finance it either.

Search the host of other threads on this site that cover the same topic and you'll get some good information.

If your common sense doesn't kick in and you're still intent on buying it, then make sure you do your homework before purchasing it (your insurance, etc). Personally, you couldn't get me to buy one no matter how cheap the price.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The emission controls warranty can be 8-10 years depending on the state. It covers a lot of expensive to replace parts. I was rear ended in my 99 Infinity q45, rear trunk smashed in almost to the window, frame bent, totaled. About six months later it was on CL for sale, minor cosmetic damage only in the accident they said. For sure they are not all like that, some may just have been failing smog and went to the junk yard, but who knows without pictures. Warranties are over.

Yeah, federal emissions can go 8/80k. Some Pzev cars are 15/150k. But the OP isn't in a Pzev state so that doesn't really apply.

Usually a car gets totaled, damage is anywhere from 70-90% of book value. When it gets bought back at auction, it could be anywhere from 10-20% of the value of the car, but at the auction it can go as high as anyone is willing to pay. So the guy fixing it has to feel he can do it cheaper than the regular shops and still make money. One way to do that is to cut corners and not do a proper repair job. Some states require an inspection after the repair, but they're just eyeballing the car, they're not taking it apart to make sure everything was fixed right. That's why everyone advises against it. Rebuilt might be ok if it's your car and you know someone who can get it fixed cheap or you can fix it yourself.

If one were to get a carfax, what amount of information does it provide and does it give information on the extent of damage from an accident?

Originally Posted By: 7055
It was supposedly a side swipe accident on the front end (driver's side). He claims no frame damage and the front bumper cover fender, and door was repainted. Is it plausible a car would be totaled out and end up as a rebuilt title if it really was just cosmetic damage?

I agree with your suspicion. The amount of damage stated does not seem to be enough to justify it being declared totaled.

I'd be thinking something more substantial, maybe flood damage?

I'd pass on the car. If you insist on pursuing this have YOUR mechanic check it out or have a dealer mechanic give it a pre-purchase inspection.

If one were to get a carfax, what amount of information does it provide and does it give information on the extent of damage from an accident?

Not everything shows up in Carfax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AandPDan
It was supposedly a side swipe accident on the front end (driver's side). He claims no frame damage and the front bumper cover fender, and door was repainted. Is it plausible a car would be totaled out and end up as a rebuilt title if it really was just cosmetic damage?

I agree with your suspicion. The amount of damage stated does not seem to be enough to justify it being declared totaled.

I'd pass on the car. If you insist on pursuing this have YOUR mechanic check it out or have a dealer mechanic give it a pre-purchase inspection.

How exactly does Carfax work and what is the reason that not everything shows up on it?

I always have to wonder when they say it only had cosmetic damage, no frame damage and easy fix. If that's the case, why didn't the insurance company fix it?? Seems suspicious that they can buy a car from a auction and fix it and turn profit but insurance company can't. My wife was in a wreck with the Lincoln, about 10 years ago. Both front end and rear end damage, even quarter panel and they didn't total it. Makes me believe it takes alot to total a car. I also bought the Ford FX2 with a rebuilt title and I love that truck. It was totalled due to vandalism. I see some stuff they didnt fix or replace. Truck runs Great. I only paid half of the blue book value at the time. I bought to keep. Even though I bought it cheap enough I could probably break even. Hey, you take a bath on a new car too.

It doesn't take much to total a car. Repair costs spike up real quick. Once fenders, bumpers, doors, glass, quarter panel, lights, and possibly wheels get involved, it's clearly a total loss.

I'd question the guy's skills on fixing it. Also, I think that's too much money for the car.

I personally have no issue with a salvage title car (mine has one, I was rear ended in March). But it depends on if the person who fixed it knew what they were doing.

no It had to have at least 15000-20000$ damage to total it.

you dont want a hackjob resto, no warranty nightmare

for 15.5k

maybe for 8k. with a REALLY REALLY good inspection

How exactly does Carfax work and what is the reason that not everything shows up on it?

Some of your questions are rather naive. Take everyone's advice and run. Mechanics are good at replacing bad parts. They're not going to be able to figure out when a part is going to fail or if it was done right without taking the whole thing apart. So even if you find a mechanic to look at the car, all he can do is just rubber stamp the stuff that's visible. If it took the auto body shop several days to put the car back together again, the mechanic would need several days to take it apart and put it back to make sure it was done right. And then you mind as well just buy a car that isn't salvaged/rebuilt. Do you get it now?

Carfax gets their info from various databases out there. Sometimes that information just isn't entered into the database. Carfax misses lots of accidents. Autocheck is a little bit better at finding them. But you can have a fender bender, never report it, fix it yourself and it won't be in any database. That's why you always have to look at the car.

My understanding: If there isn't a police report, such as a hit-and-run etc etc, or car hit a pole and owner never told anyone or whatever, no Carfax.

Meaning: Car got T-boned, driver of T-boned car took off and not caught, maybe hit in B-pillar, fixed car up himself and frame not straight? = no Carfax. Or "Clean CarFax, clean title." Frame damage. (? Theoretical. Point is, no report.)

I believe Carfax doesn't mean anything. Put on a dirty shirt, contort thyself, find a dry and pebble-free smooth pavement, and crawl up under car with a flashlight, a good one. Ramps are better. Make sure you can see. Rust and clean shiny parts on worn other parts? .. Got 'em. That is the real CarFax.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It totally kills the resale and negates the factory warranty.

This is from the Subaru site:
http://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html
Quote:
Cars Ineligible for Warranty Coverage

The vehicle is not eligible for warranty coverage if the vehicle identification number is altered or cannot be read; if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes; if the vehicle has been dismantled, destroyed or changed in such a manner that constitutes a material alteration of its original construction; if the odometer mileage has been changed so that mileage cannot be readily determined.

So, only buy it if resale doesn't matter.

To me, it would be OK for a cheap commuter that I planned to keep until it had very little value. But to spend $15k on a car with a salvage title? No thanks.

This.

I agree on how rebuilt could work, salvage title, if the goal was to never resell. However, this car sounds overpriced. The seller sounds like he is comparing Blue Book value to that of a perfect vehicle.

I wonder if insurance wrote off the car, in which case, every dollar may be profit for the seller.

What do you mean by that? How would he have gotten the car for free?

If insurance wrote him a check for the car, but instead he didn't junk it but kept it for resale ? ^ unless my understanding of how that works is wrong.

Can't tell you how many folks I've seen get paid insurance money for them to get the car fixed, then pocket the money. At least it used to be that way. ?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Some of your questions are rather naive. Take everyone's advice and run. Mechanics are good at replacing bad parts. They're not going to be able to figure out when a part is going to fail or if it was done right without taking the whole thing apart. So even if you find a mechanic to look at the car, all he can do is just rubber stamp the stuff that's visible. If it took the auto body shop several days to put the car back together again, the mechanic would need several days to take it apart and put it back to make sure it was done right. And then you mind as well just buy a car that isn't salvaged/rebuilt. Do you get it now?

Whoa whoa whoa wolf, calm down... All I did is ask an innocent question about how Carfax reports work, nobody said that I'm on my way down with $15,500 in hand to purchase the car right now... It's good to ask questions, questions are how you learn.

Last edited:
unless I was the one doing the work it is really buyer beware. I dunno. Have it checked out by a trusted mechanic or yourself if you are confident in a detailed inspection

Check with your insurance company. Chances are you can only get liability on it. I would want to see "before" pictures of it too. Here in CA there are salvage cars all over the place. They are worth 50% of retail IMHO. I work with a guy that buys them as he commutes 120 miles a day. He has had a few good ones but also a few bad ones. Tires wearing out in half the time that they should, Cracked radiators, Messed up suspension parts. You are taking a huge chance buying salvage.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
...and it will be very difficult to insure the car. Further, this car is way, way overpriced.

OP,

some of the major insurers will treat re-built the same as salvage (and avoid it/not insure it), FYI
a VIN call to your current insurer may clear that out
also what you want is a mechanic with body/accident/alignment experience...
....not many of them around

Whoa whoa whoa wolf, calm down... All I did is ask an innocent question about how Carfax reports work, nobody said that I'm on my way down with $15,500 in hand to purchase the car right now... It's good to ask questions, questions are how you learn.

You actually asked a bunch of other questions, it wasn't just the carfax question. I sell homes and go to a lot of home inspections, the inspectors are always upfront about telling people that they only inspect what they can see, just because they don't see it, doesn't mean that it's fine. Same with the mechanic, it sounds like you think a mechanic can look it over and give it a clean bill of health, but that's not how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back