how to add inline fuel filter late model vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a non-issue. There is a sock filter at the fuel pickup to catch the big stuff then there is a REAL fuel filter built into the pump assembly that really does to an excellent job and NO need for an external fuel filter hack job. The built in filter is spec'd the very same as the older style in line filter and filters just as well...it is also LARGER so it naturally catches more dirt and lasts longer - designed for the life of the pump. I've had NO issues with this system. Would I like a replaceable filter? Sure would - but I am also NOT worried about it because there simply are no problems with this system. There are also screen filters in your injectors to protect them. Run good gas and a fuel cleaner every now and then and you're fine.

Don't bother. If you really want to change the in-module filter, it can be done and it's provided(in the case of Toyota/Honda/Subaru) as a separate assembly with new connectors and seals. Gas is cleaner these days - unless you go to an unscrupulous gas station that punches holes into the dispenser filters for more flow - I've seen an Arco station owner do that.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I've seen an Arco station owner do that.

So, what did the "Gas Station Police" say about that?

You reported this guy, right?

Us fellow motorists have to stick up for each other ya know

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
This is a non-issue. There is a sock filter at the fuel pickup to catch the big stuff then there is a REAL fuel filter built into the pump assembly that really does to an excellent job and NO need for an external fuel filter hack job. The built in filter is spec'd the very same as the older style in line filter and filters just as well...it is also LARGER so it naturally catches more dirt and lasts longer - designed for the life of the pump. I've had NO issues with this system. Would I like a replaceable filter? Sure would - but I am also NOT worried about it because there simply are no problems with this system. There are also screen filters in your injectors to protect them. Run good gas and a fuel cleaner every now and then and you're fine.

^^^Yes! There is a Pick-Up Sock & a Fuel Filter in the tank, A lot of speculation & bad information in this thread, GM has done this for over a decade now & Injector failures are few & far between.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
^^^Yes! There is a Pick-Up Sock & a Fuel Filter in the tank, A lot of speculation & bad information in this thread, GM has done this for over a decade now & Injector failures are few & far between.

Yes, it may be overkill... but, it's still very possible to get bad gas, dirty gas, gas with water in it that extra filtration could go a long way to prevent major damage.

Sometimes people want to make things much better than they have to be to help prevent problems an OEM setup would not prevent.

Others believe just because engineers have a degree, nothing they create cannot be improved upon. That's like taking the word of a doctor or lawyer as being gospel without checking them out to see if there may be better information available.

Sometimes doing that works out OK, and sometimes it bits you in the arse. Each person has the right to do what they want with their stuff and only time will justify whether the wisdom they are working with pays off or not.

Fix it 'till its broke!

Gas dispensers have fuel filters on them, also. Large spin on filters.

You just don't see cars/trucks dead on the side of the road, or struggling up hills due to in-tank fuel filters.

Much more likely that you'll get a leak from the add-on filter you had to have.

10 years medical schooling > 5 mins of googling

Actually since researching this, I have seen other boards where people posted their experiences about trash in their injectors so this can and does happen.

Safe > Sorry

Overkill indeed. Don't mistake my question for criticism but how, exactly, will an inline filter, or any paper media filter for that matter, separate water from the fuel?

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Overkill indeed. Don't mistake my question for criticism but how, exactly, will an inline filter, or any paper media filter for that matter, separate water from the fuel?

Paper filters can absorb water if you aren't running ethanol blended fuel...

Last edited:
It's not going to make it last any longer. Because of the position it's located in it's corrosion of the housing and electronics that causes problems more times than not before the pump fails.

Last week I changed out the knock sensors on my Escalade W / 6.0. I noticed the injectors were dirty. But closer inspection showed it was external. It had a similar coating that the intake manifold and intake head ports had. It's the PCV system and the location of the injectors. Not the fuel. So I'm not sure adding an inline filter will change what you saw

941%201008f.JPG

Using one of these would really make it trick. Then you can see all the junk that doesn't accumulate.

crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm not sure adding an inline filter will change what you saw

Sounds like some real world testing needs to be done so we can "be sure"... and once that is done you will find adding an inline filter will in fact catch trash in the fuel which is better than trash going to the injectors.

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm not sure adding an inline filter will change what you saw

Sounds like some real world testing needs to be done so we can "be sure"... and once that is done you will find adding an inline filter will in fact catch trash in the fuel which is better than trash going to the injectors.

Do tell what real world testing is and what you found. I can only tell you what I found. After running some carb cleaner through the injectors into a bucket using a jumpered battery setup I didn't find much. Quite a bit of external gunk which I mentioned.

I'm not the one claiming having an extra inline filter is of no value... I'm telling the doubters that they need to do some real world testing and they will find that their inline filter is in fact catching trash, because that's what filters do.

Throw one on yo ridez for a while and then cut it open and see if they be any trash up in there. You will find that the inline filter is catching trash that apparently some believe is OK to send on to the rest of the fuel system.

If you start searching the net, you will find that people are in fact having injector issues caused by trash in their fuel system that apparently is not being caught by the filter on the fuel pump.

This whole thread sounds like Ford eliminating gas caps. It is a solution in search of a problem. Maybe if the OP was in a third world country he might need an extra filter. Did anyone else notice the date this thread was started?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Maybe if the OP was in a third world country he might need an extra filter

Of course everything is perfect in developed countries... and yet some do experience injectors getting dirty and failing due to trash in the gas.

Go down to your local dealership for most any brand and ask them if they ever have to replace injectors and/or recommend injector cleaning.

If there were no trash getting in the injectors, you would not need to clean them or replace them. It happens, and an inline filter will help prevent this sort of thing.

I'll tell you this, when I opened up the fuel tank of my then 20 year old BMW to replace the fuel pump the interior of the tank was pristine. Not a speck of anything in the well or anywhere. TBH I was surprised, I thought I would find something but I didn't. So that tells me that fuel is pretty clean.

Originally Posted By: Rockrz
If there were no trash getting in the injectors, you would not need to clean them or replace them. It happens, and an inline filter will help prevent this sort of thing.

Will it? I recall carbs used to get gummed up, especially if they sat a long time. That gum wasn't from dirt, it was from stuff in the gasoline. I don't know how much hotter an injector runs relative to a carb; but could fractions of the gasoline (or outright additives) fall out of suspension and be slowly hammered into the needle/pintle of the injector over time?

Of course a dealership is going to recommend a cleaning. The chance to charge you $100 to dump a $5 bottle of cleaner in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back