Deteriorating quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: grampi

I've never been that impressed with Bose anyway. To me they're more of a gimmick company...always producing equipment that produces decent sound from really small components, however, there is better sounding equipment available...the home theater system I have now will blow away anything made by Bose...

Yea..I think Bose was once a good product. But they lost their way. Capitalised on their name and went for mass marketing.

I have Polk stuff. I am not gonna' says the best, but its pretty good.

Me too...I have 4 of their bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker that sound amazing...I also have a powered sub, but that I made myself...

I've never been that impressed with Bose anyway. To me they're more of a gimmick company...always producing equipment that produces decent sound from really small components, however, there is better sounding equipment available...the home theater system I have now will blow away anything made by Bose...

Yea..I think Bose was once a good product. But they lost their way. Capitalised on their name and went for mass marketing.

Yup, we call 'em the "Bose Illusion" for the bass that isn't there in their stuff below a 100 HZ.

Last edited:
Dr. Klipsch used to go to audio trade shows wearing a button to which he pointed when some liberal arts major salesperson tried to explain the latest speaker miracle. The button said "Bull....".

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
There were real metal controls on autos once upon a time,,they were chrome,,,,but,,,the world has turned to plastic this and thats now and yes, the good ole days of real metal and decent engineering is a lost art, IMHO> to be continued''''''''''but I am out of plastic,lol.

The reason they went to lighter materials on vehicles is mileage, and safety..not rocket science.

No. It's cheapness. Aluminum, titanium and stainless would work too. I have a newer car with chalky looking trim sitting next to a 40 year old car that looks perfect.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Dr. Klipsch used to go to audio trade shows wearing a button to which he pointed when some liberal arts major salesperson tried to explain the latest speaker miracle. The button said "Bull....".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Yup, we call 'em the "Bose Illusion" for the bass that isn't there in their stuff below a 100 HZ.

What do you all think of the path a once-great JBL took?

Me too...I have 4 of their bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker that sound amazing...I also have a powered sub, but that I made myself...

Lol I have exactly the same stuff except I have the Polk Sub..lol.
We have something in common besides being old...
cheers3.gif

My son has a home theatre and he also has Polk

Last edited:

Lol I have exactly the same stuff except I have the Polk Sub..lol.
We have something in common besides being old...
cheers3.gif

My son has a home theatre and he also has Polk

I wanted to try building my own sub, so I did...it's sound isn't that great, but it makes a nice looking piece of furniture! I'd like to have a Velodyne, but they're pricey...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
There were real metal controls on autos once upon a time,,they were chrome,,,,but,,,the world has turned to plastic this and thats now and yes, the good ole days of real metal and decent engineering is a lost art, IMHO> to be continued''''''''''but I am out of plastic,lol.

The reason they went to lighter materials on vehicles is mileage, and safety..not rocket science.

No. It's cheapness. Aluminum, titanium and stainless would work too. I have a newer car with chalky looking trim sitting next to a 40 year old car that looks perfect.

I think it's cheapness too. There are plenty of alloys that could be used in place of plastics, and they would last much longer too...

I agree about Blows (Bose). My Electro Voice horns will disenegrate anything made by Bose. I'd love to hook up a pair of Bose speakers to my stereo and make them explode into pieces haha. What were the HUGE Polk speakers of the early 80s? Were they called the SDA-1? Those were some amazing speakers! And the Klipschhorns were truly awesome!! I'm thinking they were a Klipsch designed cabinet with Electro Voice drivers (they for sure used the Electro Voice T35 tweeter horns).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I agree about Blows (Bose). My Electro Voice horns will disenegrate anything made by Bose. I'd love to hook up a pair of Bose speakers to my stereo and make them explode into pieces haha. What were the HUGE Polk speakers of the early 80s? Were they called the SDA-1? Those were some amazing speakers! And the Klipschhorns were truly awesome!! I'm thinking they were a Klipsch designed cabinet with Electro Voice drivers (they for sure used the Electro Voice T35 tweeter horns).

In the mid 90s, my purchase dollars went to JBL bookshelf speakers over Bose. Their top product was the Acoustimass 7. They were overpriced then, and are overpriced now. I forget some competing speakers. Never did like the sound of I think Infinity. And I used to avidly read Stereo Review magazine.

JBL is Harman now (formerly Harman/Kardon) but if anyone wants to comment on JBL! quality, go ahead.

There are other speakers.. Boston Acoustics, of course Klipsch are made by the gods, LKH (KLH? a rarity,) Bang Olufsen (I call them "Artisan" speakers,) I do not recall if Onkyo or Denon made speakers. Pioneer always did. Sony had an ES line. I forget.

It used to be, the heavier the speaker, the better the neodymium magnet, and the more bass reflex and better sound. I am a fan of a certain floorstanding home loudspeaker, but their magic fizzled out. 8-ohm and 4-ohm, if I remember right for the bookshelves and floor standing.

Question still stands as to JBL. Also, whether Onkyo or Denon was better. At their peaks.

The JBL I remember (James B Lansing) were the uber high end expensive commercial grade horn loaded cabinets with 15 inch woofers that would rattle your house's foundation. Now when I think of JBL I think of cheap Walmart and Best Buy junk.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
A prime dry aged steak would cost me more to cook at home than I can get it in the steakhouse with a pro cooking it over wood.
????????

I beg to differ. It's easy to age steak in the frig. Further, what's the name of the steakhouse that cooks over wood? That's quite rare actually. Much easier to find an Italian rest. that actually has a wood fired oven.

http://www.texascattlecompany.net/
Here's the local spot. Citrus and oak. Where do you live? I though I lived in a sterile little city. I guess not. We have a couple wood fired Italian joints. Even a wood fire food truck.

But to the serious matter. Please explain how to dry age a steak at home?

There may be a TCC around here, but haven't been to it.

I'll have to dig the specific details on aging steaks. You don't want to do it dry though. A refrigerator is very dry. Putting a steak on a wire rack inside for a few days will thoroughly dry out the exterior and shrink the meat.

It's better to wet age it. The procedure is to buy big & thick, wrap in a damp cotton towel or cheesecloth, set on a wire rack and turn it every day for about 3 or 4 days.

The dry exterior will quickly crisp over high heat. Medium rare at the most.

Televisions today do not last as long as they use to. However, they are much cheaper today and provide High Definition and are 2 inches thick as opposed to 40+ pounds. The world will continue to change even if you do not.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

There may be a TCC around here, but haven't been to it.

I'll have to dig the specific details on aging steaks. You don't want to do it dry though. A refrigerator is very dry. Putting a steak on a wire rack inside for a few days will thoroughly dry out the exterior and shrink the meat.

It's better to wet age it. The procedure is to buy big & thick, wrap in a damp cotton towel or cheesecloth, set on a wire rack and turn it every day for about 3 or 4 days.

The dry exterior will quickly crisp over high heat. Medium rare at the most.
You can't dry age a steak. You dry age the entire primal. For weeks. Then trim all the crust off of the outside and cut steaks.

The method you describe there is actually a quick dry ageing method that is a total waste of time. As far as I know wet aging is simply leaving the primals in the plastic bags then came in.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html

You need to find a steakhouse with dry aged steaks. The difference is night and day.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Televisions today do not last as long as they use to. However, they are much cheaper today and provide High Definition and are 2 inches thick as opposed to 40+ pounds. The world will continue to change even if you do not.

I still watch a 4:3 aspect ratio TV and have two of them.

You can't dry age a steak. You dry age the entire primal. For weeks. Then trim all the crust off of the outside and cut steaks.

The method you describe there is actually a quick dry ageing method that is a total waste of time. As far as I know wet aging is simply leaving the primals in the plastic bags then came in.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html

You need to find a steakhouse with dry aged steaks. The difference is night and day.

Dude...do you realize how many times you've contradicted yourself? You ask for my advice, then slam it as a "total waste of time". If you already knew that it isn't possible to dry age a steak, then why ask?

Cook's Illustrated
doesn't think DIY steak ageing is a "waste of time". They thoroughly test everything and recommend it. Go look it up for yourself.

"As far as you know wet ageing"??? Given your tone, you should know! I've never bought a steak in a bag and I'm willing to bet that a high-end steak house doesn't either.

Prime steak in a bag???
crackmeup2.gif

Further, you truly think as a 55yr old native Texan, who grew up working on a cattle ranch, has never enjoyed aged steaks at a top-tier steakhouse?

You're all hatt and no cattle...hatt.

Finally, the only thing I NEED to do is add you to my IGNORE list.....

Your advice wasn't how to dry age a steak at home. Wrapping a steak in a rag and putting it in the fridge for a couple days IS NOT DRY AGING BEEF. Wet aging is exactly what I said it was. If a steakhouse is serving wet aged steak they're serving steak that was aged sealed in a plastic bag. Adding me to IGNORE isn't going to make you less ignorant of facts. Nor will my feeling be hurt.

Quote:
Wet-aged beef is beef that has typically been aged in a vacuum-sealed bag to retain its moisture. This is the dominant mode of aging beef in the U.S. and UK today. It is popular with producers, wholesalers and retailers because it takes less time: typically only a few days and there is no moisture loss, so any given piece of meat sold by weight will have a higher value than a dry aged piece where moisture loss is desired for taste at the expense of final weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging

I wouldn't say that all products in the world are worse than they used to be. It is quite obvious that the quality level has dropped only in those countries which have the USA as a major market. They are Japan, Taiwan, Canada, etc. And the USA, of course. Chinese, Russian, Indian quality is slowly improving. Just look at Canada. 20 years ago any product from that country was the best and very desirable. Just to name a few: no Nortel any more, Bombardier is average now at best, no Sierra Wireless, Blackberry products are cheaper than generic Chinese phones. This is because the American dollar buys less now than it did 20 years ago and the companies which earn mostly the American dollars have to cut cost or downsize.

Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai
I wouldn't say that all products in the world are worse than they used to be. It is quite obvious that the quality level has dropped only in those countries which have the USA as a major market. They are Japan, Taiwan, Canada, etc. And the USA, of course. Chinese, Russian, Indian quality is slowly improving. Just look at Canada. 20 years ago any product from that country was the best and very desirable. Just to name a few: no Nortel any more, Bombardier is average now at best, no Sierra Wireless, Blackberry products are cheaper than generic Chinese phones. This is because the American dollar buys less now than it did 20 years ago and the companies which earn mostly the American dollars have to cut cost or downsize.

.77 US equals 1 Canadian Dollar. Come and get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back