Fluid change on my 2015 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Dan have you yet added 1-2 oz of Lubegard Red or Platinum per quart of ATF?

No, I have not. That thought did cross my mind but being a 1 year old car under warranty I was not sure if I should try that.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Today the car did the harsh first shift so hard that the whole car bucked in the middle of the intersection and felt like it missed a gear. It was weird.
Did not see how many miles or if ATF has been changed. If near 20K, consider ATF change. For warranty purposes, consider use Honda brand. Friction modifiers may have changed properties with use.

"Dealer says its normal"
They always say that.

Consider another visit to service dept to document the fault. And another and another if fault persists. To make a paper trail in case the trans fails later outside warranty. Also on the squeaky wheel gets the grease theory.

Any OBD codes?

Originally Posted By: thrace
Today the car did the harsh first shift so hard that the whole car bucked in the middle of the intersection and felt like it missed a gear. It was weird.
Did not see how many miles or if ATF has been changed. If near 20K, consider ATF change. For warranty purposes, consider use Honda brand. Friction modifiers may have changed properties with use.

"Dealer says its normal"
They always say that.

Consider another visit to service dept to document the fault. And another and another if fault persists. To make a paper trail in case the trans fails later outside warranty. Also on the squeaky wheel gets the grease theory.

Any OBD codes?

No codes. As said in the first post the car has just under 19,000 miles and I have done now two drain and fills. Now the temp was 60 degrees today so the car was perfectly fine. Last week the temp was in the teens when the car was acting up. [censored] Chicagoland weather.

I also asked on the Accord forum about this and two or three others have experienced the same thing and they do not have an answer as to why the cars did this funky trans shifting.

I just did a drain and fill X3 with Amsoil SS Fuel Efficent ATF, it's a low viscosity ATF, and we shall see what happens. Amsoil completely backs their fluid and if anything happens to the transmission that is a fluid related failure Amsoil with back it. I will drive the car more and report back how the fluid change has affected shifting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Dan have you yet added 1-2 oz of Lubegard Red or Platinum per quart of ATF?

I would not do that. Honda uses a very unusual transmission design, and the safest route is to just use Honda fluids.

I have, however, had good results with Castrol Import multi-vehicle in our Hondas.

I have zero confidence in magic solutions which claim to alter the characteristics of other ATFs.

I just did a drain and fill X3 with Amsoil SS Fuel Efficent ATF, it's a low viscosity ATF, and we shall see what happens. Amsoil completely backs their fluid and if anything happens to the transmission that is a fluid related failure Amsoil with back it. I will drive the car more and report back how the fluid change has affected shifting.

I figured I would up date this. Obviously the extreme cold weather shifting has not happened in months because it is not cold anymore. As I said I did a X3 drain and refill of Amsoil fluid and I have not been happy since day one with Amsoil. I could feel every shift, every time the converter locks and unlocks under normal driving. Under WOT I could totally feel the car come out of one gear and go into the next gear, almost like a delay between gears. Back to OEM Honda fluid today and seems to be back to normal.

I figured I would up date this. Obviously the extreme cold weather shifting has not happened in months because it is not cold anymore. As I said I did a X3 drain and refill of Amsoil fluid and I have not been happy since day one with Amsoil. I could feel every shift, every time the converter locks and unlocks under normal driving. Under WOT I could totally feel the car come out of one gear and go into the next gear, almost like a delay between gears. Back to OEM Honda fluid today and seems to be back to normal.

I'd do a couple of changes or whatever you have to do to make sure you get all the old ATF out.

I've been changing the fluid every 30k miles on our '03 V-6 Accord (which did have a factory rebuild installed at 35k miles under warrant due to a leaking case).

We are now at 180,100 miles on the car, 145k miles on the transmission. It still shifts perfectly. IMO part of Honda's problem with this generation of transmissions is that the factory fluid was not all that great in 2003 AND they specified 120k miles for the first transmission fluid change. Considering the cost of transmission fluid vs. the cost of a transmission, I elected to be much more conservative. So far that has been a good choice.

Since then Honda has gone to a supposedly 100% synthetic based transmission fluid, but I still do the every 30k mile routine.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
I've been changing the fluid every 30k miles on our '03 V-6 Accord (which did have a factory rebuild installed at 35k miles under warrant due to a leaking case).

We are now at 180,100 miles on the car, 145k miles on the transmission. It still shifts perfectly. IMO part of Honda's problem with this generation of transmissions is that the factory fluid was not all that great in 2003 AND they specified 120k miles for the first transmission fluid change. Considering the cost of transmission fluid vs. the cost of a transmission, I elected to be much more conservative. So far that has been a good choice.

Since then Honda has gone to a supposedly 100% synthetic based transmission fluid, but I still do the every 30k mile routine.
Causes? Fluid is one. Like an aircraft accident, often many causes contribute. Little the owner can do about it outside of changing ATF and not driving it.
Honda transmissions then had poor flow to third gear clutch, too rough steels in clutch packs that abraded clutches, weak clutches, internal ATF filters and screens that cannot be changed without taking the transmission case apart, and as a separate problem, lack of lube to 2nd gear. Clutch wear particles clogged internal screens and filters because clutches wore too fast. ATF did not flow where it was supposed to. Z-1 had too much friction modifier with too much slip and too much clutch wear.

Honda transmissions then and much more recently had overheating torque converters due to low pressure to hold the TC lockup clutch disengaged when at idle. Possibly due to leaks or intentionally low pressure at idle to improve fuel economy. TC clutch drags, overheats, wears, sends particles through and clogs the transmission screens and filters. Only one or zero of these filters is external to the case. No bottom pan to remove to change the internal AT filter. Only way to change most of filters and screens is open the trans case.

All these factors and probably more contributed to the terrible early failures of Honda transmissions. Had one myself. Breakdown prone transmission is just one of the issues that made it an troublesome expensive vehicle to own. Trans failed early even after changing the ATF every 10k miles. Used that very bad Z-1 with too much friction modifier when plain old Dex 3 would have been better. Dex 3 has less friction modifier. Flash point of Z-1 was lower than temps found in Acura TL transmission in a Honda investigation. Honda fanbois then said your trans will die if do not use Honda fluid. Wrong.

Originally Posted By: N2OIL
The external filter P/N 25430-PLR-003 can be found on Amazon.

Has anyone used or tried the MAXLIFE ATF?

I can't find the external fiter on my 2015 V6. I have followed the trans cooler lines and there is no external filter that I can find. I know Max Life worked well in the older Hondas but I dont know about the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back