SM/CF and other dual ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Various diesel engines have been and are prone to soot based sludging. Mostly it was/is due to using an incorrect Spec lubricant, lack of an appropriate OCI, breathing issues and etc.

I've never seen a diesel with sludge that doesn't come perfectly clean with a quick srub in the partswasher...that never happens with sludge in a petrol engine. Sometime early this century when small indirect Japanese diesels were very common here, I drained an engine and it slowly poured out like molasses. Who knows what that was or how long it had been in there I thought...but the next one was our oil and within the service period. Then every diesel we drained was like this. I talked to my oil rep about it (starts with P owned by S) but he turned into a politician and I didn't get an answer. Then after a few months things were back to normal. This was before we went low sulphur.

Is this what you are calling soot based sludge ? It was certainly an oil or fuel based issue. It was the sort of sludge a sludge pump would pump, rather than petrol engine sludge, which is stuck to surfaces and hard to get off. I took a rocker cover off one of these engines, it just washed off without any effort.

Quote:
5/40 oil is never recommended for motorcycles, if so very rarely. I personally would never use a 5/40 if my bike did share oil with the transmission and clutch.

Maybe not recommended by the manufacturer but lots of us run Rotella T6 5W-40 in our wet clutch motorcycles. Mine is approaching 38,000 miles with no major work other than regular maintenance. Inside of the engine is spotless.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
We hear alot on here about the uses of HDEOs such as Rotella in gas cars, trucks and motorcycles.....but what about PCMO oils in diesel engines. I have some SM oil that has the CF rating, but the newer SN version of the same oil is not rated 'C', but instead has a ACEA rating.

So do any of you put 'gas oil in your diesel?'

Most good oils are dual rated, so will be Acea A3/B4 in most cases.
PCMO stands for Passenger Car Motor Oil and it does not seem to define the oil in terms of application, other than it's not an HDEO etc.

This M&L article is about the differences between a gas and diesel oil:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engine-oils-

Our top end 5w-30 PCMOs can be A5/B5. That would be considered a gasoline engine oil here, with its ILSAC rating. Of course, the B5 is for diesel. How many diesels in Europe actually call for a B5 lube?

That what I kind of suspected. Some companies here even cheat a bit, and talk about A1 or A5 and don't even mention the B part of the spec, which isn't the correct way to do things.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Our top end 5w-30 PCMOs can be A5/B5. That would be considered a gasoline engine oil here, with its ILSAC rating. Of course, the B5 is for diesel. How many diesels in Europe actually call for a B5 lube?

Off the top of my head,

Ford
Mazda
Land Rover
Jaguar
Volvo
Toyota allow B5 but prefer B3 or B4

Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai, Renault, Alfa ask for B4

Thanks for that, too. We certainly don't get much in the way of diesels from those companies, at least lately. Just about any Ford or Volvo diesel is obviously calling for a CJ-4 lubricant up here, and if you see anything else, someone took a great deal of effort to import it.

Originally Posted By: supercity

Off the top of my head,

Ford
Mazda
Land Rover
Jaguar
Volvo

No they don't...

all want C2 or C3 oils for diesels

Either way, I wish some were here. I'd worry about the oil choice later.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Off the top of my head,

Ford
Mazda
Land Rover
Jaguar
Volvo

No they don't...

Maybe in your market...

In Australia however I can assure you that many models from the above manufacturers over the last 10 years or so call for an A/B category oil even where a particulate filter is fitted. Without Particulate filters, they always specify an A/B category oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

No they don't...

Maybe in your market...

In Australia however I can assure you that many models from the above manufacturers over the last 10 years or so call for an A/B category oil even where a particulate filter is fitted. Without Particulate filters, they always specify an A/B category oil.

IMG_5453.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back