Putting 195/60/15 on a Car with 205/65/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who doesn't have a whole lot of money and I'm trying to help them out. The car in question has 205/65/r15
The front two are junk could I put 195/60/r15 on the front and the good 205's she has one the back? I realize it's not ideal. But 2 different sized tires on the car is vastly better than tires with cords showing right ? Opinions please .

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have a friend who doesn't have a whole lot of money and I'm trying to help them out. The car in question has 205/65/r15
The front two are junk could I put 195/60/r15 on the front and the good 205's she has one the back? I realize it's not ideal. But 2 different sized tires on the car is vastly better than tires with cords showing right ? Opinions please .

you dont list a car?

no one can give anything more than extremely generic advise
without knowing what vehicle it is.

This will not work. The load index (weight the tires can support) is lower than the correct size tires.

205/65-15 is a reasonably common tire size, so even if you're THAT poor, a used tire shop should have a couple tires in the correct size.

If there is a Walmart nearby, you can get Douglas tires for $54 each. If you order online in advance, they even have Dextero tires for $49.

People on here like to go by the book too much.

I'd put the proper tires up front (her current rears) and throw the smaller ones on the back, less weight, make sure aired up good.

With the wrong sized tires on the front wheels, the following could be issues:

Speedometer/odometer accuracy
Anti-lock brake system operation
Steering/suspension system operation

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'd put the proper tires up front (her current rears) and throw the smaller ones on the back, less weight, make sure aired up good.

This is the difference we're talking about:

TireComparo_23MAY16_zpsxhwxuz7b.jpg

You'd put the smaller tires on the rear ... of a rear wheel drive car?

We don't know what car we're talking about, we don't know what the recommended stock tire size is for this car, we don't even know where the OP is going to source the 195/60-15 tires he's talking about.

If the OP is going to buy 2 new tires, then obviously he should buy two of the same size as are on the car - assuming they are the correct size for the car.

If the OP already has 2 195/60-15 tires, then he should buy 2 new 195/60-15 tires - assuming they are suitable for use on the car.

Either way, looks to me like someone is going to have to pony up for 2 new/used tires.

HTH

Terrible idea. 195/60/15 has insufficient load rating.

If you really want to help him out, lend him some money so that he can buy the correct size tires.

If you had to go with a 60 series you should get a 215 and not a 195. Even then the load range is iffy-- it goes out the window quickly when you go down in aspect.

I got that exact size from sears for $38 ea last winter, and DTD has a Memorial day sale on now. Can get four Cooper CS3s for $105. You could help the friend by slinging the credit and keeping the rebates, buying in your name.

I think you're off on your calculations. Typically if you go down a size, you go up a size in ratio like a 195/70/15 instead of a 60.

You can usually get junkyard tires for $20-$30 each and they usually have at least 1/2 the tread, sometimes as much as 70-80% if the car was in a wreck. Sometimes they even throw in mounting and balancing at that price. Or check your local craigslist.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

This is the difference we're talking about:

TireComparo_23MAY16_zpsxhwxuz7b.jpg

You'd put the smaller tires on the rear ... of a rear wheel drive car?

We don't know what car we're talking about, we don't know what the recommended stock tire size is for this car, we don't even know where the OP is going to source the 195/60-15 tires he's talking about.

If the OP is going to buy 2 new tires, then obviously he should buy two of the same size as are on the car - assuming they are the correct size for the car.

If the OP already has 2 195/60-15 tires, then he should buy 2 new 195/60-15 tires - assuming they are suitable for use on the car.

Either way, looks to me like someone is going to have to pony up for 2 new/used tires.

HTH
The OP said a "car", so unless it's something for, the 70's, I highly doubt it's RWD.

Also, the OP has a PT Cruiser, so the 195 tires are probably off of that.

The car in question is a 99 Infiniti i30 I have a full set of 195/60/r15 decent tread I was going to give my friend 2 of them .

I'm with Nick on this. This isn't rocket science, and we're not talking about trying to build a Steinway piano here. The existing tires on the car in question have the belts showing. The smaller tires, despite being smaller, are without question an improvement. I don't care what car it is.

Back in high school I thought it was cool to have taller tires on the back of my '68 Cougar. The car didn't leap off the road in a fiery Hollywood explosion at the first movement of the steering wheel, or slightest touch of the brakes. Somehow I put a whole bunch of miles on that car with different size tires front and rear, and I managed to stay alive.

Some of you guys need to put away the calculators and pocket protectors.

The car in question is a 99 Infiniti i30 I have a full set of 195/60/r15 decent tread I was going to give my friend 2 of them .

If cords are showing then I'd think anything is better, load index notwithstanding.

Load index withstanding, was 195/60's used in this application? I mean, some cars have that for a base size, and the optional tires are 205 or 215's, which I presume would have a high load index--but dropping down a size would not be hazardous.

He's not only suggesting dropping a size in width, but also dropping a size in aspect ratio. Double whammy. Two wrongs don't make it right.

If you really want to help, do it right.

If he gifts a friend undersized tires that blow out due to overheating, whose fault is it going to be?

I've gone down a size or two on my old Neon. 185/70R13 was the normal size, and I put on 155/80R13 snow tires on it. Kept them well inflated at 35psi and drove for many miles on them.
I believe I've read in the highway traffic act for ontario that legally you can run smaller tires as long as your aren't over loading their rating. So as long as the tires cover the maximum axle rating you are good.
Which kind of makes sense IMO. The tires can carry the maximum load of the car, what else is there?
Anyways I never got even a comment on them when I got stopped with them on.
That said, if your tires are decent ask for a small credit at a used tire place for them, and get two of the currents size.

What if I did 195/65/15 I have 2 of those I went and checked with a friend he ha some i can buy from him cheap would that be better than the 60's my guess is yes ?

195/60-15 tires have a capacity of about 1,190 pounds each. The car weighs about 3,200 pounds. I'd guess 60% of the weight is up front, 40% in the rear.

That puts it at 1,280 pounds TOTAL in the rear that has tires that can carry 2,380 pounds.

It's obviously a non issue. Stick them on the rear of the car

I have a 96 I30, which also takes 205/65-15 tires. The OE load index is 92, but most tires you'll buy in this size are 94 load index.

Most 195/60-15's have a load index of 87-88, which is far below the required rating, unsafe, and unacceptable.

What if I did 195/65/15 I have 2 of those I went and checked with a friend he ha some i can buy from him cheap would that be better than the 60's my guess is yes ?

Where are you getting them? Any source you're using probably has tires of the correct size, so no need to use the wrong size.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
He's not only suggesting dropping a size in width, but also dropping a size in aspect ratio. Double whammy. Two wrongs don't make it right.

If you really want to help, do it right.

If he gifts a friend undersized tires that blow out due to overheating, whose fault is it going to be?

01.gif

Like I said before, if it's that bad, get some used tires of the correct size at a junkyard or used tire shop. 205/65-15 is a reasonably common tire size, so they should have some available. But Walmart has brand new tires for not much more.

Too much risk, not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back