Fram Ultra ADBV problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't want to buy filters that someone's breath moisture has been put into it. Have to look for sealed Ultras if I ever buy those again. Maybe it's just me. I probably will stick with low efficiency Toyota filters that come with a plastic wrap on the base.
More evidence something is wrong with the Fram Ultra, three statements from people, four filters, and counting. But the thread title says specifically there is an ADBV problem. Don't see any cut away pics of bad ADBV sealing parts, like we see with torn Purolators, or statements from Fram on what they found after the bad filters were sent in.

The red silcone ADBVs have always sealed well on PureOnes I have used, and I have yet to find a torn filter in many cuts. But, I find most ADBVs seal well, even nitrile ones like on the FL1As I use on a diesel engine.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Framboys will never admit to a problem.

First the problem and cause have to be identified to believe it. There isn't anything to admit without proof. Assumptions can be wrong. Not admitting, denying, a problem is seeing a Purolator torn filters spreadsheet, many pictures of torn Purolator filters, ignoring the evidence, and saying there is no problem. Haven't seen anyone dissect the claimed Fram tickers to see what is wrong, just make the claim, cast doubt, and go. No sending in, nothing. Has nothing at all to do with the product being made by Fram.
Framboys will never admit to a problem. Framboys will throw in personal opinions about Pure One filters when the discussion relates to the Boss. Framboys can't stand the notion that someone thinks the Boss is a good filter and the Framboy tries to cloud the issue with remarks unrelated to the discussion. Framboys will be the FIRST to try to shift the discussion away from a satisfied Purolator customer.

Last edited:
I fail to see how the ADBV can fail. They are not that complicated. Also doesnt the TGand Ultra use the same ADBV? I guess they seal on different surface material but sealing on metal end cap doesn seem to be the issue considering the filter that it was changed to has the same setup.

First the problem and cause have to be identified to believe it. There isn't anything to admit without proof. Assumptions can be wrong. Not admitting, denying, a problem is seeing a Purolator torn filters spreadsheet, many pictures of torn Purolator filters, ignoring the evidence, and saying there is no problem. Haven't seen anyone dissect the claimed Fram tickers to see what is wrong, just make the claim, cast doubt, and go. No sending in, nothing. Has nothing at all to do with the product being made by Fram.
Framboys will never admit to a problem. Framboys will throw in personal opinions about Pure One filters when the discussion relates to the Boss. Framboys can't stand the notion that someone thinks the Boss is a good filter and the Framboy tries to cloud the issue with remarks unrelated to the discussion. Framboys will be the FIRST to try to shift the discussion away from a satisfied Purolator customer.

No "Framboys" have responded here. There is nothing to admit to here about the ADBV failing. However, the Purofanboys, who are posting here, see torn Puro filter pictures, plenty of them, they do have something to admit to.

I believe many failed ADBVs that have been positively identified on here were not inserted correctly when the filter was manufactured--they went on skewed or wrinkled. The way the Fram is designed it looks like it would minimize the possibility of being inserted improperly during manufacture. I could imagine something like a metal burr sticking up could break the seal--possible on any filter.

I personally haven't had any trouble with the Ultras I've been using (listed in my sig), but if I had trouble with one, I would pull it & PM Motorking (Jay Buckley) & let them take a look at it, he's been known to hook people up with replacements when there's been an issue.

The Ultras use the silicone check valves, right? Yes. Then I wouldn't blame it on the check valve. Sounds like you changed more than just your oil filter, sir. Changed oil, likely oil level, filter, valve cover gasket, etc. No idea how long the filter was on, conditions, vehicle mileage, etc. State the facts before you plead your case. =)

But on any filter it could be the oil is leaking between the steel plate (that holds the gasket) and the thread-tapped plate. Yes, they are welded but there is still a gap (Puro doesn't weld). Most of the industry uses a sealant there. But sealant is a lot like paint...needs a clean/dry surface, needs a nice even coat, needs to cure, needs to be right formulation...otherwise it won't work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Nelsen
I drive a 94 Miata and they have a propensity for valvetrain noise upon start-up and really valvetrain noise in general.

I'm betting these Miatas exhibit valve train noise and start-up rattle with a variety of oils and oil filters if this is a 'well known issue'.

No "Framboys" have responded here. There is nothing to admit to here about the ADBV failing. However, the Purofanboys, who are posting here, see torn Puro filter pictures, plenty of them, they do have something to admit to.

Exactly ... there are some Purofanboys who still think Purolator never had a media tearing problem.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Ded Mazai
How can a bad ADBV valve cause low oil pressure for 2 minutes after start up?

It can't.

It wasn't causing low pressure right after start-up and I'm not saying everything is because of an anti-drainback valve. Geeze you guys take things out of context. The only result was valvetrain clatter which logically can be traced to oil drainging back into the pan.

I simply put the details of all that changed.

If the other filter doesn't cause any noise noise run it and throw the one that does in the bin.
I tried the Fram Ultra and went back to the Wix/Napa I had used for years without issue. If the filter is causing startup noise it either has a bad ADBV or it dont flow as well as they claim, its that simple.

Personally I am not overly impressed with the FU and certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find one when the NAPA store is close.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If the filter is causing startup noise it either has a bad ADBV or it dont flow as well as they claim, its that simple.

It's not a flow issue. At low engine RPM (cold start-ups) basically any new filter can flow everything the pump puts out at that engine speed. It's oil draining back through the system causing a lag in building oil pressure.

OP - what kind of engine noises does this car make with the first (dry) start-up after an oil & filter change? And how long does the oil light stay on or before the oil gauge starts moving after a cold start? If the lag in seen oil pressure is similar in time compared to a cold start after an oil & filter change, then the ADBV is definitely suspect.

The title of the post says Ultra ADBV problem. Could have been possibly added in there. Or not, it doesn't really matter. Probably best to not use Fram any more in these two cases. I use them on one car and Toyota on the other. After the Frams are used I will go back to only the Toyotas, with Amsoil claimed 51% efficiency rating. I never had a problem with them. I would use them on other cars too that take 3/4-16 threads. How's that for independence.
Funny though, when I show pics of a Wix made ST filter with terrible ADBV material that doesn't even spring right, no one gives a cr..p. I show it in a picture even, not closing. I guess because this is a very loyal Wix oil filter site or something.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Trav
If the filter is causing startup noise it either has a bad ADBV or it dont flow as well as they claim, its that simple.

It's not a flow issue.

Sorry no matter how many times you say it doesn't mean I am going to believe it. The bottom line is there are engines experiencing noise with these filter and are not making noise when the filter is swapped out for another brand.
Reading this thread one guy tried 3 of them all with the same result, I doubt all 3 had a defective ADBV.

Just sayin, there is smoke coming from under the door, its not a stretch to think there might be fire behind it.

Maybe the Ultra has more free flowing media so it drains out. I haven't found that to happen though. Reading about evidence, there is proof or hard evidence at the top, and circumstantial, at the bottom. Then there is hearsay, which is no evidence at all. This seems to fall into the circumstantial category here. Proof would be an analysis that shows actual ADBV defect. Like the Purolator tears is hard evidence.

In conclusion, I'm not throwing Fram out the window; I may even replace this Purolator with an orange can or try some Wixcraft. I simply had a noise that was remedied.

I probably won't buy another ultra because I don't need to. My car doesn't go too long between oil changes; some may say that it changes itself once during the cycle because it burns so much. I'd rather get the cheaper filter and replace every 5,000 miles.

The title of the post says Ultra ADBV problem. Could have been possibly added in there. Or not, it doesn't really matter. Probably best to not use Fram any more in these two cases. I use them on one car and Toyota on the other. After the Frams are used I will go back to only the Toyotas, with Amsoil claimed 51% efficiency rating. I never had a problem with them. I would use them on other cars too that take 3/4-16 threads. How's that for independence.
Funny though, when I show pics of a Wix made ST filter with terrible ADBV material that doesn't even spring right, no one gives a cr..p. I show it in a picture even, not closing. I guess because this is a very loyal Wix oil filter site or something.

It is more likely most users will not use a supertech oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back