So how bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
At some point though there will have to be a replacement (perhaps the entire vehicle) or rebuild. Maybe when it gets to 100+ ppm it will be time.

I doubt it'll trend up, it will go back down over time unless there's still coolant entering the oil. At 197k its not like it really owes you another 100k miles anyway... but I wouldn't be at all surprised if its still running fine at 250k.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Kuato
What bothers me most is that the wear seems to be accelerating. From the UOA at 188k it was 22 Al and 29 Fe....on the most recent, to extrapolate, almost 30 and 36 respectively.

Pour in a dual rated HDEO 15W40 (or 20W50 if ambients permit) at current OCI's, and ensure no mess from coolant system, this motor could be good for several more years of normal usage.
blush.gif

Thanks yeah I'm considering a heavier oil...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Stop wasting your money on AMSoil for this engine. Run Valvoline MaxLife from the red jug and wait for the end to come. It may surprise us all how long it will go, though.

Maybe do a compression test in cylinder 4 to see if it is low.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Stop wasting your money on AMSoil for this engine. Run Valvoline MaxLife from the red jug and wait for the end to come. It may surprise us all how long it will go, though.

Maybe do a compression test in cylinder 4 to see if it is low.

Exactly. It could be years before this engine bites the bullet.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The "Neon" family of engines are pretty good at blowing head gaskets.

It's too bad, too, because most (all?) of that problem came from them not making the head bolt hole(s) deep enough. ...or making the head bolts too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back