Suggestions for used suv/cuv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking at used vehicles, something with clearance as I'm moving to Colorado and expect to drive around in snow. I was looking at sedans but after a couple of trips up there I know I will be more comfortable with extra drive height. Looking at a budget of $15,000, maybe up to $20,000 if the vehicle is right. Doesn't need to be awd necessarily, I expect to stay on road where they should be plowing regularly. Would like a newer model as we will be keeping for awhile. Heated seats would be nice, reliability and comfort are priorities overall.

Considering Honda Crosstour (totally forgot they even made these), Toyota Venza and Rav4, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Forester and Outback are all being considered. Any thoughts on these or others I should consider?

Thanks in advance. Looking to buy maybe as early as this weekend.

new forester is 23k$ is that too much of a stretch?
With there resale being skyhigh on recent years, and the older ones with headgasket issues I probably wouldn't buy used.

Crosstrek around 20800$ +tax+fee

All the cars you mentioned are pretty much the same. Throw a dart and buy the one you hit, or pick the one that comes in the color you like.

How about a used Hyundai Santa fe the 2010-2012 have great ground clearance and if you buy a certified used Hyundai im pretty sure it will come with the balance of the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty but check that first.

36.gif

Suburban. Bigger is always better.

Yeah, the Subaru resale prices are really high. Might go new on them but the couple of used Foresters have not really appealed to me. I did like an 05 legacy gt when it was new.

Big SUVs are out of the question as a lot of the time I will be in the car alone, and from what I can tell the prices for low mileage newer examples are still pretty high.

I currently have a Venza AWD LE model rental. Until today i thought it was a 4 cylinder with decent power.. Then i popped the hood to see v6.. I really enjoy the space and driving dynamics. Not without its faults (blind spots from rear sides but the 2 in 1 mirrors help alot as does the standard backup camera. Gas mileage isnt as good as i think it could be i see its averaged 11.5 liters per 100km (20.5 mpg). Besides these faults I am seriously considering it as my next car. Its smooth and seats are very comfortable and wide. I have also driven the highlander a few weeks ago but think the Venza price point is better. I plan to also test drive the forester as i am considering between forester, camry, venza and highlander. At this point im about ready to cross the highlander off my list since price is so high. This model could stand to use a louder/better quality sound system is another thing to note. Best advice: test drive them all and see what fits you best. I think the 4cyl would be well underpowered and the 6cylinder is adequate but could use better gear ratios or a bigger 6 as the power seems to only be there towards higher rpms, wonder if the vehicle weight might have an impact on that?

I'm going out of the box here...maybe a Jeep Compass/Patriot? The end of the cycle of these ends at the end of the year, and you should be able to pick up one new around that price with some discounts.. They are nothing to write home about-but they are pretty solid, even if they are a bit dated...

And they should do just fine with the winters out there....

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Subaru is having lots of engine problems.

Solved in model year '15 and up. If 23k was doable then I'd agree with Forester.

For the money... RAV4.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input, all. I do like the Venza, basically I just want a taller Accord or Camry as I'm used to those cars and makes. Wife has a Sienna and it is good for its role. Lots of experience with Honda and Toyota so I feel like DIY will still be doable for me.

I drove a Patriot as a rental (from dealer as freebie) and it was not enjoyable. Drove bigger than it was and wasn't really my style. But a good suggestion on value.

I also researched Infiniti Ex35 and Fx35. Look like taller g35. Colleague had one and I rode in it a couple of times. Seems nice as well so I will see if I can find a few to test drive. Might be towards the end of my range for price and age, though.

The Hondas and Toyotas are also overpriced around here, really all used cars seem to be overvalued. Wasn't planning on financing that much for a car but I might have to reconsider. I don't know if these cars at offering zero interest new...maybe the Rav4.

Also interested in the current gen Nissan Rogue because I've read that they have those zero gravity seats. However I've read that the Nissan Cvt are unreliable long term. It's a shame because the interior looks like it would work for me - design comfort and ergonomics are important for me.

My family has been having good luck with our Subarus. We had been a GM/Chrysler family until the bailouts. Starting in 2012 all of our older(96-03) GM/Chrysler vehicles were phased out and replaced with Subarus. Now we have a 2012 Impreza (110K miles), 2013 Forester (69K), 2013 Legacy (105K), 2014 Outback (15K), and a 2015 Outback(45K) in the family. None of them have had any issues beyond the occasional rattle, just basic fluid changes and tires. They are all on their original pads and rotors and are significantly better than our old Jeeps and Trail Blazers in the snow (these are our first cars with stability control so that may be the main difference). We bought all the above cars new because of the high prices in the used Subaru market and usually got them for about $1000-1700 below invoice.

Okay, took a few test drives today. Crosstour was kind of a disappointment. Good power and Honda interior but visibility was really bad to the rear.

Chevrolet Equinox was okay. Surprisingly good in some ways but some things seemed a little rough. Ergonomics didn't quite work for me. Was good and solid feeling, coasted down the road well.

Hyundai Santa Fe was surprisingly good. Styling was strong, seemed the most solid of the cars I drove today, from the build quality to ride. Not as sporty as the crosstour handling wise but seemed solid. A bit sluggish with the 2.4 liter. Also drove a Tucson but it seemed too small and noisy for my liking.

Next up, probably on the weekend will be the Subaru, Nissan Rogue, Rav4 and Venza.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Solved in model year '15 and up. If 23k was doable then I'd agree with Forester.

I've only heard of one 2015+ CVT Forester with oil-burning issues (and ours doesn't burn a drop between changes), but quite a few manuals have had them.

Another round of test drives today.

Nissan Rogue: seats were excellent as advertised, good visibility and driving position. Tech was good, but didn't like the cvt transmission. My sons really liked it, but I think that's because they liked the salesman. Also seemed noisy both road and wind, on freeway. Maybe some attention there would help.

Toyota Rav4: what I expected for toyota. Solid but kind of bland. Feels like it will last but sort of feels old hat. Ergonomics not as good as Nissan surprisingly, seat not as good

Honda CR-v: typical Honda with plus driving traits. Ergonomics are good but seats not impressive and still road and wind noise.

After a lot of additional test driving, and a few negotiating sessions, I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0 turbo. It was the vehicle that surprised me the most and met or exceeded what we wanted and needed.

It is the vehicle that I expected that Honda or Toyota would make, quite frankly. They both make very nice automobiles, but I found the SFS more to my liking.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Subaru is having lots of engine problems.

For the money... RAV4.

Another BITOGism that is not true.....anymore.

Originally Posted By: dohnuts
After a lot of additional test driving, and a few negotiating sessions, I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.0 turbo. It was the vehicle that surprised me the most and met or exceeded what we wanted and needed.

It is the vehicle that I expected that Honda or Toyota would make, quite frankly. They both make very nice automobiles, but I found the SFS more to my liking.

Sounds good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back