yanmar 3ym30 inboard diesel engine oil specs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to the forum,

i have a question about how choose the best antiwear oil
for my sailboat yanmar 3ym30 diesel engine, that i use
both shortly - from 15 minutes to 1 hour - at low rpm for undocking/docking operations or ungeared for battery charge,
and for long runs at higher rpm - the engine is rated 3600, i run it at 2800/2900 - , even continuosly for 50/60 hours, mostly when there's wind absence in the mediterranenan hot season - and with the engine located in a narrow engine room ventilated as it is possible -.

the operating manual states the following:

Use the following Lubricating oil:

• API Classification ........... CD or better
TBN value: 9 or more
The oil must be changed when the Total
Base Number (TBN) has been reduced
to 2.0.
*TBN (mgKOH/g) test method;
JIS K-2501-5.2-2(HCl), ASTM
D4739(HCl)
• SAE viscosity ......... 10W30 or 15W40

but then says:

DO NOT use The following engine
oils.
API : CG-4, CH-4
ACEA : E-1, E-2, B grade
JASO : DH-2, DL-1
Reason
• API CG-4, CH-4
In case CG-4, CH-4 is to be used for
YANMAR YM diesel engine series,
there is a possibility that excessive
wears occur on the valve train system
due to the content of oil.

my trouble is that i find the cg-4 ch-4 specification in quite every modern diesel oil, and btw,
i wonder which elements in the the cg-4/ch-4 oils could lead to a wear in the valve system.

most of gm/ym engine owners avoid to ask themselves any question and use the branded yanmar oil, which is thought to be the mobil delvac mx 15w40 repacked.

somewhere in the internet other people say
"never use synthetic in these engines"

is there any better choice according to you ?

cheers !

i was gona suggest mobil delvac le 5w-30 but now that you mention cg-4 and ch-4 are a nono and given cj-4 is also a cg-4 and ch-4 as most oil will be . i dont know what oil you could use. i ll have to look up online but i dont doubt the manufacturer of the boat engine as the right of it ,i sure wish i knew what tho

Last edited:
Introduced in 2006 for high-speed four-stroke engines. Designed to meet 2007 on-highway exhaust emission standards. CJ-4 oils are compounded for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulphur content up to 500ppm (0.05% by weight). However, use of these oils with greater than 15ppm sulfur fuel may impact exhaust after treatment system durability and/or oil drain intervals. CJ-4 oils are effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters and other advanced after treatment systems are used. CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of CF-4, C-4, AH-4 and C-4.

cj-4 .so only thing i can understand is that diesel for marine boat as more then 15 part per million of sulfur .if it is the case then yes and older oil would be required

oh italy? didnt notice this maybe not all country are required to american regulation!i know in usa yanmar would be required to mod their engine so they abide by the rule here but if they arent in america maybe italy version use a different oil standard

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vanni
my engine dates back to 2008.

i suppose the diesel fuel sold now in italy / ue fulfill the en-590 rule for diesel :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_590

probably the sulphur content is that or less.

do i stick to delvac mx 15W40 yet ?

i think delvac mx 15w40 already answer your problem as per u mentioned above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back