Kia and Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and one more thing...

I picked up my Genesis Coupe for under $24K + tax (tax put me around $25k). You can get 349bhp for less than $25. Or you can get something with a large trunk...

I have an 02 Elantra that is in my signature and it has put up with a driving intensive job very well. It isn't the most fun to drive, but it has been very reliable and I'm hoping to get an Elantra GT hatchback when this car kicks the bucket.

We've put almost 27k on our 2016 Santa fe. Far surpassed my expectations. Feels every bit as refined as the new ford escape her friend has. Makes plenty of power and gets around 30 mpg on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Yup
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i highly recommend Hyundai.. We have 2 Santa fe's 2010 and 2011 and they have been great.
For the last 10 years or so we saw very few of them in my engine shop. The only thing is these days they are not cheap anymore but they do have the best warranty out there. Great vehicles in my opinion. I would put their reliability up there with any Toyota or Honda when they were still built well.
Look really close at how all the body panels fit perfectly compare that with some other makes you can see it for yourself.

Any experience with the Honda K20A3 and cam galling? Off topic I know.

My issue with other cars is they're so boring, Ford is the only company other than Kia and Hyundai that make moderately powered, sporty looking, cheap cars. I want efficient but a little power when I punch it down. The Civic is bland. Waiting for their new hatch to see what that's like. I also want a hatchback for hauling and carrying stuff. I'm shocked people bug cars with trunks. Hatches are so much more versatile.

That's where I think Mazda fits the bill. I could never see myself owning a Civic/corolla/Camry... blahhhh. Plus everyone has one. I love the modest size hatch - great all-arounder. Ours is a '12 Subaru Impreza which has been great- also fits the 'not everyone has one' and top 'Japanese quality' boxes. I'll be buying my college age daughter a Mazda 3 sedan (she insists no hatch) and would buy a 3 hatch if we want to upgrade our own. The Mazda choice is much better looking and somewhat sportier than the bland Toyota/Honda choices.

Agree w/ the last on Mazda. Had my own eyes hauled opened recently on the marque. We bought a CX-9 (excellent), however the CX-5 is great & the CX-3 is really nice to use. I guess that I have become a bit of a fan as of late.

John.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
We were in the market for a 7 seat SUV and I had my heart set on a new Explorer. A friend of mine suggested I try the Kia Sorento. I had the same stereotypes of the brand being bottom of the barrel but I went to the dealer and took one out.

Was I ever surprised. I ended up buying a new loaded Sorento which after all was said and done was $12 000 cheaper than the Explorer. The materials that is used now in the interior is top notch and the attention detail in the vehicle is excellent.

Oh, I also got a 10 year 200 000kms factory warranty.
thumbsup2.gif

I was similarly pleasantly surprised after going to test drive a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid as part of my car shopping due diligence. I was completely taken aback by the quality and features available for the price, not to mention that warranty! I walked away with 8.5k in discounts/rebates and have already put 4k miles on it in the first 3 weeks.

As i said many times Hyundai makes a great vehicle with the best warranty... I was in the engine business my whole life and Hyundai engines were really good engines and generally good engines.. These days they are not cheap anymore.
I had a couple of v6 Santa fe's 2011 and a 2012 and did not have any issues with them.. Their engines are not so quiet during a cold startup but they run forever and mine never used a drop of oil.

My '08 Accent has had only one warranty issue and that was a leaking axle seal on the transmission. Repaired at 55k. Now has 140k miles and just replaced the struts and shocks. Struts weren't all that bad but the rear shocks had had it. The front wheel bearings went at 130k miles but I blame a particular rail road track incident.

Other than that it's just engine and gearbox changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back