"Most" synthetic version of Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which version of Mobil 1 contains the most "real" synthetic?

Specifically in 5w-20 weight.

EP or original formula? Or some other version?

I have done numerous searches both here and other sites , and the info is conflicting or outdated ( based on previous pre-SN oil)

Only M1 please. I do not like Pennzoil brands or other brands in this Honda 3.5, my personal opinion , please don't hold it against me if you are a fan of another company.

In 5W-20, yes, In terms of PAO, Extended Performance most likely contains more than AFE or regular Mobil1. All are great products and more than enough for any application requiring the approvals on the bottle or specific OCI.

Likely a dead heat between EP 5w20 & AFE 5W20-the EP is rated to 15K miles, the AFE (should) have the lower pour point (indicator of more Group IV base). Depends on what you're looking for, NYC doesn't normally get too cold, so I would (& do) use EP.

Just to bring some clarity to the thread, the W20 oils from Mobil go like this:

Mobil 1 5W20
Mobil 1 EP 5W20
Mobil 1 AFE 0W20
Mobil 1 EP 0W20

Your best bet is the EP 5W20 or EP 0W20.

The Mobil 1 site tells us that the regular M1 5W-20 has a pour point of -43c, HTHS viscosity of 2.75, while the EP 5W-20 has a pour point of -42c, HTHS viscosity of 2.75. Not sure if you can tell much from the numbers available.

SDS for EP claims 60-70% 1 DECENE HOMOPOLYMER, HYDROGENATED; everything else is
MSDS can be notoriously incorrect so I would take this info with a grain of salt.

I did just load in the M1 0W20 EP in the Subaru
smile.gif

If it was a small stick car GUARANTEED I could tell you if it had 70% PAO after an oil change of some ho-hum messed with, group III Dino era.
I well remember the "feel" from many, many years ago of REAL synthetic oil. M1 had a nice product in the tri synthetic formula era.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
"Most Synthetic" M1 oil?

M1 Racing 0w30.
Where to buy

Here is a VOA:
M1R 0w30 VOA

Looks like it would make a good ILSAC Plain-Jane M1 "booster" with a 1 qt substitution
smile.gif
Might have to get me handz on some
smile.gif
I have used the 4T racing as a booster in the distant past - when it was the real deal and widely available for 999.

hard to say....EP 0w20 is majority PAO. However, despite the negativity surrounding the 0w40 lately, that contains some very high end Group V base oils. POE's if I had to guess.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
The Mobil 1 site tells us that the regular M1 5W-20 has a pour point of -43c, HTHS viscosity of 2.75, while the EP 5W-20 has a pour point of -42c, HTHS viscosity of 2.75. Not sure if you can tell much from the numbers available.

I have no idea what those numbers mean. What do you think they point to? I understand the answer comes with the MSDS grain of salt

And yes I mean in 5w-20.

My 07 honda has 5-20 on the cap, but Honda has since backwards authorized 0-20.

To me , in my old fashioned thinking, I am hesitant to use 0-20 right now. With summer about to start. I think I will definetely try it this winter.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop

Specifically in 5w-20 weight.

EP or original formula? Or some other version?

I have done numerous searches both here and other sites , and the info is conflicting or outdated ( based on previous pre-SN oil)

Only M1 please. I do not like Pennzoil brands or other brands in this Honda 3.5, my personal opinion , please don't hold it against me if you are a fan of another company.

"Real" synthetic? Do you have a definition of that term in your mind?

And why do you want a "real" synthetic (however you are defining that term) in the first place (but you don't understand pour point, HTHS, etc)?

I am hesitant to use 0-20 right now. With summer about to start.

There is no reason to be hesitant, at any temperature above 0F the two will be identical to your engine. One is not "thinner" than the other.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If it was a small stick car GUARANTEED I could tell you if it had 70% PAO after an oil change of some ho-hum messed with, group III Dino era.
I well remember the "feel" from many, many years ago of REAL synthetic oil. M1 had a nice product in the tri synthetic formula era.

That one's a doozy even from you.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
"Most Synthetic" M1 oil?

M1 Racing 0w30.
Where to buy

Here is a VOA:
M1R 0w30 VOA

WOW! That has the most additives of any non break in oil I've ever seen.
More Moly than Redline, more Zinc than a galvanizing plant and enough Calcium to clean a sludge monster.
Holy Batmobile, Robin we must try this one!

OP EXTRACT:
Only M1 please. I do not like Pennzoil brands or other brands in this Honda 3.5, my personal opinion

Some folks have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Real synthetic? What is it and what exactly does it do for your car?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I am hesitant to use 0-20 right now. With summer about to start.

There is no reason to be hesitant, at any temperature above 0F the two will be identical to your engine. One is not "thinner" than the other.

Yes, I think if the OP wants the "most" synthetic, he should go with a 0w20. 0w's have to meet viscosity performance numbers at lower temperatures, so would probably have more PAO in them than 5w's. Once the oils are up to operating temperature, they have to meet the same viscosity specifications. In NYC, I'm guessing that AFE would be a better choice for the OP to improve fuel economy on short trips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back