Selling used equipment and nasty/agressive buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I've seen it increasingly in restaurants, too. Seems like every time I go, someone is making a scene about something (wrong order, it was bad, had something in it they were "allergic" to) to get their meal for free. It doesn't matter if it's fast food or a "real" restaurant.

And let's not get started on the people who try to haggle the price of a combo meal down at the freaking drive through window.

The problem is either the cashier or the kitchen staff, they're always screwing up the order. It's good that Wendy's now display your order so you can tell if it's screwed up before you get the receipt. Sometimes I think that if they were paid $15/hr, they'd make it up in less food order screw ups.

As for haggling down the price of the combo meal, never seen that before. Maybe I'll try that next time, thanks for the tip!

And let's not get started on the people who try to haggle the price of a combo meal down at the freaking drive through window.

The last time I used a drive through window was more than 12-15 years ago.

I do use coupons a lot, once in a while I have some BOGO coupons, I don't mind using it but never haggled the price in any restaurant, fast food or not.

I listed some wheels/tires on CL, a guy texted me saying he will take them at my asking price, will pick them up @ 700pm. I said, "OK, cool". 700pm,he doesn't show, I texted him to see if he is still interested. No text back. About 8pm, another CLster text me says he will take the wheels/tires for $25 less than asking price. I accepted and he says he will pick them up now, about 20 minutes away. After this dude picks up the wheels, the first guy texted me saying he is still interested. I told him it was sold. He got upset and said, "that is f'd up, you said we had a deal". I texted back saying, "that's f'd up, you said you were gonna pick them up at 7pm and it now 9pm". Didn't hear back

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Auction sites (CL, eBay, et al) attracts a certain flaky demographic...

So do brick and mortar stores. I've seen someone buy a box of wheel covers, put one on their car right outside...

The old saying "some people's kids..." comes to mind.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I listed some wheels/tires on CL, a guy texted me saying he will take them at my asking price, will pick them up @ 700pm. I said, "OK, cool". 700pm,he doesn't show, I texted him to see if he is still interested. No text back. About 8pm, another CLster text me says he will take the wheels/tires for $25 less than asking price. I accepted and he says he will pick them up now, about 20 minutes away. After this dude picks up the wheels, the first guy texted me saying he is still interested. I told him it was sold. He got upset and said, "that is f'd up, you said we had a deal". I texted back saying, "that's f'd up, you said you were gonna pick them up at 7pm and it now 9pm". Didn't hear back

If I was the first guy I would text you before 7:00 PM to let you know I couldn't make it and reschedule. It is not right for not keeping scheduled appointment with informing you.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If I was the first guy I would text you before 7:00 PM to let you know I couldn't make it and reschedule. It is not right for not keeping scheduled appointment with informing you.

Lots of people do that. Someone just did that to me today, made an appointment to see a place 2 days ago. We confirmed the time and then today I called her a half hour in advance, no answer, sent text, no answer, sent email, and left voice mail. Never heard from her.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
This is why I don't sell anything. Dealing with people just isn't worth it.

Selling things on ebay can be ok. Put it up, somebody wins the auction, you ship it to them. No person-to-person contact.

Wait until you sell a couple hundred dollar item on eBay, spend $20 packaging and shipping it to the buyer, and then they fraudulently claim it is broken. They get to keep the item AND get refunded the full purchase price they paid you AND they get free shipping too. You just spent $20 to ship an item for free to some jackwagon. eBay flat out SCREWS sellers sometimes. I was an eBay power-seller and I wont sell another thing on that screw ball site. Too many fraudsters out there ripping sellers off.
Had very much the same experience at ebay. What was most annoying is that ebay flat out believed the fraudster. I had a 98% approval rating too.
Never again will I use ebay.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
For those that use the term, "Price firm," you may want to skip it. IMHO that usually means the item is priced too high and in reality it is a bluff by the owner. I've seen the same car listed for weeks with a gradually declining "Firm price" displayed each week until it got down to where I could make an offer that was reasonable. Also, skip the "Must go today" on your ad that runs for four weeks at a "firm price" that is too high.

I disagree 100% that firm usually means priced too high and/or is some kind of bluff. In many cases, and that incudes my items for sale, I set a fair price that is as low as I will go on the item to avoid all the hassle of negotiating down from an artificially high price. Sure, I could maybe get a little more if I bumped the price and negotiated down but I would much rather simply say this is what I want for it, take it or leave it, and wait for someone willing to buy it at that price. I win and the buyer wins.

I actually prefer to see firm after the price as a buyer as well. It means I don't have to mess around offering this price and that price in a game with the seller to try and get it to a price I feel is fair. IMO the people who set the price too high are those who sell at BO or BRO not those who use firm. IF you are willing to negotiate that means you know your asking price is too high. It's similar to an auction with a reserve price = waste of time. When I see firm it cuts through all the [censored] and I simply decide if the price is what I want to pay or not. Much easier.

If an item goes for $1000 new and it is being sold like new for $500 firm that is hardly too high or a bluff. It behooves the buyer AND seller to know what an item goes for new and to adjust accordingly for used based on condition. Offer the item at a fair price for both sides and it makes life a lot easier.

With all of that said if you see a "firm" added to the price don't try and haggle with the seller. If you feel it is too high then just move on OR keep an eye on the time and see if after a time the price comes down and then buy it when it reaches the price you are comfortable with. Obviously the seller feels it is a fair price and doesn't want to negotiate so why tick them off and offer some ridiculous low ball offer?

Nothing wrong with a firm price being lowered over time either. Doesn't mean the seller started it out too high/unfairly. Many people sell things because they have to( i.e. moving, financial reasons, etc... )and they get desperate and thus will lower a fair price further because they have no choice. They start it out at what they feel is fair and then are forced to lower it because it isn't selling fast enough( and price isn't the only reason it may not sell quick ).

I have been in that situation myself. My black lab, Thunder, got really sick and I had some huge vet bills to pay plus he ended up needing a lot of expensive med's for the rest of his life because of the illness. It was a major financial issue for me, so I started selling off some things to help out.

As usual I placed a fair price based on new cost vs. condition of the items and also as usual I added firm after the price. Some of them weren't selling for whatever reason and after a couple weeks, and really needing the cash, I reluctantly lowered the price a bit and eventually sold them all. That doesn't mean my initial prices were too high or unfair. Had I been able to wait it out I would have sold them at the original prices I set no question and the buyer would have been happy to pay that amount. Unfortunately, I was in a big time bind so I had to lower prices to try and move them even though I had said firm.

I have also set a firm and fair price on items that took a while to sell but held my ground until they did. That is how I general do it. I refuse the ridiculous and insulting low ball offers and wait until someone buys the item at my price( still fair ). The difference is I am not in a desperate for cash situation like I was when Thunder was sick.

So while "some" people may set prices too high with firm and eventually start lowering them to a reasonable level so they will sell it isn't all. I think describing it as usually implies it is most people and I just have to disagree.

***just discussing and not trying to be offensive***

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
This is why I don't sell anything. Dealing with people just isn't worth it.

Selling things on ebay can be ok. Put it up, somebody wins the auction, you ship it to them. No person-to-person contact.

Wait until you sell a couple hundred dollar item on eBay, spend $20 packaging and shipping it to the buyer, and then they fraudulently claim it is broken. They get to keep the item AND get refunded the full purchase price they paid you AND they get free shipping too. You just spent $20 to ship an item for free to some jackwagon. eBay flat out SCREWS sellers sometimes. I was an eBay power-seller and I wont sell another thing on that screw ball site. Too many fraudsters out there ripping sellers off.
Had very much the same experience at ebay. What was most annoying is that ebay flat out believed the fraudster. I had a 98% approval rating too.
Never again will I use ebay.

I agree. I used to sell quite a bit on e-bay but I no longer do. With their new(er) policies of just believing the buyer without question and taking/stealing money from the seller for refunds I have stopped selling there. I will not let someone screw me like that. E-bay used to favor the seller to a ridiculous degree and now they have swung to the polar opposite direction and they favor the buyer to a ridiculous degree.

I see them going away in the future if they don't come up with a more reasonable way of conducting business that is fair to both seller and buyer. Sellers are flocking way from them in droves. Pretty soon the only ones left will be the corked buyers.

Got to tell you, that sounds like you might have got scammed. 2nd texter was probably the original guy using another phone. He gets you there under the pretense of taking them for your asking price so you are happy the items sold for your price. However, you are there at the appointed time and the guy doesn't show nor does he answer your texts. That get's you really angry right?

Suddenly, by some miracle, this other person texts you out of the blue while you are waiting for the no show and offers to buy them for a little less( not so much that you might say no - just a little less )and amazingly they are just a short distance away. Perfect, so you do it. Not as much money for you but you sell them while you are out and don't have to haul them home. You are amazed at your good fortune that someone called when they did who just happened to be close by.

Once the sale is complete and you head home the "original guy" texts you back using the original phone and acts all upset and indignant that you didn't wait for him. This keeps you from thinking you were scammed.

NO OFFENSE meant by this and I could be wrong but based on what I have seen people do on CL that looks to me like he scammed you. Too convenient that another person just happened to offer to buy them while you were waiting and that they just happened to be close by your meeting point. Smells fishy to me.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Got to tell you, that sounds like you might have got scammed. 2nd texter was probably the original guy using another phone. He gets you there under the pretense of taking them for your asking price so you are happy the items sold for your price. However, you are there at the appointed time and the guy doesn't show nor does he answer your texts. That get's you really angry right?

Suddenly, by some miracle, this other person texts you out of the blue while you are waiting for the no show and offers to buy them for a little less( not so much that you might say no - just a little less )and amazingly they are just a short distance away. Perfect, so you do it. Not as much money for you but you sell them while you are out and don't have to haul them home. You are amazed at your good fortune that someone called when they did who just happened to be close by.

Once the sale is complete and you head home the "original guy" texts you back using the original phone and acts all upset and indignant that you didn't wait for him. This keeps you from thinking you were scammed.

NO OFFENSE meant by this and I could be wrong but based on what I have seen people do on CL that looks to me like he scammed you. Too convenient that another person just happened to offer to buy them while you were waiting and that they just happened to be close by your meeting point. Smells fishy to me.

Got to tell you that you sound extremely suspicious. If a guy is willing to go through all that trouble to save $25 instead of just making the offer for $25 less, more power to him. I think you are WAY WAY overthinking things. That kind of thinking is in the conspiracy nut territory.

I agree 100% pertaining to a "firm Price". When I put that statement in ad, it cuts down on the useless time time wasters that clutter up my time. I always try to make my "firm price" a fair price. (MY $0.02)

I actually prefer to see firm after the price as a buyer as well. It means I don't have to mess around offering this price and that price in a game with the seller to try and get it to a price I feel is fair. IMO the people who set the price too high are those who sell at BO or BRO not those who use firm. IF you are willing to negotiate that means you know your asking price is too high. It's similar to an auction with a reserve price = waste of time. When I see firm it cuts through all the [censored] and I simply decide if the price is what I want to pay or not. Much easier.

When I see firm and I am legitimately interested and I'm looking to make a deal, I'll say something like, yeah you know I am interested, and it's in good shape, and it's priced all right, but I just don't have the money in my budget, but if you like, take my number, and if it doesn't sell in a week or whatever, give me a call. Then of course I *have* exact change on me if they want to make a deal right then.

Flatters the seller and lets them think they're in control.

When I sell stuff, I don't put OBO. I don't put Firm. I put a price. The end. Up to them to think if they want to bargain. Then I can size them up in person when they try.

I've got no issues with CL whatosever.

I set a price, mine is normally 10% over what I'm wanting to get, and simply ignore all the low-ballers. Eventually, someone will come along offering to pay what I want to get.

I never put my cell number under my contact info either btw..

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
They pointed to every visible flaw on the truck saying "look at that!" Some brought their wives along to help do the pointing....lol.

Reminds me of this, I just had to share when you mentioned that...

Originally Posted By: eljefino

When I see firm and I am legitimately interested and I'm looking to make a deal, I'll say something like, yeah you know I am interested, and it's in good shape, and it's priced all right, but I just don't have the money in my budget, but if you like, take my number, and if it doesn't sell in a week or whatever, give me a call. Then of course I *have* exact change on me if they want to make a deal right then.

When I sell stuff, I don't put OBO. I don't put Firm. I put a price. The end. Up to them to think if they want to bargain. Then I can size them up in person when they try.

This is close to my method as well. But whether buying or selling we have no time for nasty or obnoxious folk. I spin on my heel and walk away if needed.

I figure majority of folks who answer ads and place are dredge of earth so my expectations are quite low. More often then not I am pleasantly surprised on Craigslist. I think folks set expectations way too high for an absolutely free service that costs them zilch.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Got to tell you that you sound extremely suspicious. If a guy is willing to go through all that trouble to save $25 instead of just making the offer for $25 less, more power to him. I think you are WAY WAY overthinking things. That kind of thinking is in the conspiracy nut territory.

Normally I would agree it would be a conspiracy nut job who thought of that but not about CL and the crazy things people there do. I think it is completely possible it actually happened.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Put a dress on a pig and in the end it is still just a pig. I would not take your number as I would see through your flattery and recognize it for what it is - an attempt to haggle. Just a waste of my time. At best I would tell you if you ever get the money YOU can call me back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I figure majority of folks who answer ads and place are dredge of earth...

Nice. Glass half-empty type then are ya?
Originally Posted By: madRiver
I think folks set expectations way too high for an absolutely free service that costs them zilch.

"The service" is irrelevant. It's the patrons of said service. Kinda like BITOG - just another web forum. What makes it different? The people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back