Indoor TV antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has this indoor TV antenna she bought at Walmart. Gets a bunch of channels. I'd never heard of those. Anyone here have experience with these?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Yes.

What do you want to know?

What's the best one to get,and is it "plug and play"?

I have this one. Picks up all the local channels and has never required any adjustment. Made in USA to boot.

If you have an HDTV its plug and play if there are broadcast stations within your locale.

Indoor antenna may limit your choices however it can be perfectly fine also.

Use tvfool.com for your address and you'll find a guide of what works with various antennas.

Last edited:
Free TV.....going old school!

It should be plug and play without an issue, you may have to play with the input. Ahh, for the days when there was 1 input on your TV and you have to connect a bare wire with a screwdriver.
28.gif
Of course you had a maximum 13 channels back then if you were lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9DUX_AHMak

wish those things would work where I live. Years ago we lived outside town 4 miles, on top a hill, and had a large antenna with a rotor, on the roof, and got 3 channels if the weather was good

I bought one of those "Mohu Leaf" (Box said 60 MI reach) antennas in the barracks back in the day. Being on the 3rd story, and the antenna mounted in the window, I thought Id get some channels..

Nope. Only PBS.
So, I took the 50$ antenna back and bought a 10$ "Bunny Ear" style RCA Antenna (box stated 25 Mile Reach) and a "reception booster" by RCA for 14$

With that combo, I spent less than half the money on the fancy antenna, and got 31 channels (not including SAP/En Espanol channels)

Still get Fox/PBS/ABC/NBC/CW/CBS to this day, living in a one story house 3 miles away from my old barracks. I believe I get 28 channels (missing some of the Dallas Channels I was picking up, Still getting WACO and Austin though)

Depends on how close you are to the tower and what's on locally.here all we can get with any antenna is a Korean infomercial and a jeweler infomercial.if i lived closer to Los Angeles I'm sure I could get a few more

Quote:

A friend of mine has this indoor TV antenna she bought at Walmart. Gets a bunch of channels. I'd never heard of those. Anyone here have experience with these?

Yes, it is called TV before 1979.

When I was little, everyone had an 'indoor' TV Antenna.
They were called Rabbit Ears.
We picked up 4 channels. 2....4....7....17

Any show you watched was in Black & White.
Our Country only had 48 States at this time (why does just saying that make me feel really old ?).

I now have one of the more modern indoor TV Antennas.
They do the same as the old but you plug them into an electrical outlet to get boosted power. Today I get around 20 channels. That's good enough for me.

Edit: I like the ones that have the Rabbit ears so you can make some adjustment.
For mine, the Rabbit Ears pick up channels 2-13
the Center Antenna picks up 14-69

I think there all somewhat the same.
If you want to do away with your Cable TV bill, get any Power Antenna.
Check the reviews on Amazon.

Note: If you do get a Power Antenna (because you ditched the Cable), you will have to do a Channel Scan. This will let the TV recognize all available channels.
To do the Scan, read your Instructions.

Last edited:
I like this website because it shows you the distance and heading of the local towers: http://www.antennapoint.com/

Where I live I can't get anything without a large directional antenna mounted in the attic. Adding a preamplifier helped make up for the signal loss from the long run of cable needed to connect it to the main tv.

Unfortunately I have to pay $24/month to pay cable company for limited basic which is broadcast tv essentially with a better antenna then I have or get. Everything is 35 miles+ from my home.....

We've had good luck with the flat panel antennas with an amp. In situations where we have mounted a flat tv and put the wires in the wall, we were able to slide it up the stud pocket and mount it real high, aiding reception. We have one mohu and one winegard. The winegard is us made and can be found at HD.

I find it amazing that people pay for TV, not that there is anything wrong with that if your debt free. But with my RCA attic antenna in my attic, from Lowes, I get every major network TV station and side channels well over 20 channels for free. Best thing is, the HD antenna signal is superior to cable or sat HD.
I then steam with a Ruku player and subscribe to Netflex and Hulu plus, total TV cost $20 a month. Way more then we can ever watch. I also have a channel master DVR plus for the over the air signals, works the same as a cable box recording programs, TV guide etc. buy the box and no monthly fees.
My antenna feeds into my home tv cable/phone network box and is distributed throughout the house to the jacks in all the rooms. I use a cheap Walmart RCA signal boaster in that box and have 100% signal on all channels.
I have had neighbors come over to see how it's done and they are amazed. Perfect HD picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back