Repair shop question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do a google search, faulty magnets in the bearing is kinda common. They even have a tool to ensure the bearing is in good shape prior to installing...

https://honda.snapon.com/HondaAcura/ItemDetail.aspx?itemId=50721345

But aside from this I'm still kinda reluctant to get them to work on the car again. I just want the noise to go away and the lights on the dash to also go away. I dont' think I'm askign too much for a vehicle in good shape overall.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
please do hope and pray that what you deem to be the issue is correct.

oh dont' worry I already am!

I just don't want to have to resort to selling a car because a bearing cannot be properly replaced
cry.gif

Maybe I should get them to install their own supplied part so if there's any future issues, I can go back to them for the repair
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
I now service cars myself, but an ASE certified mechanic does actual car work, our shop does complete brakes and emissions and various other things that are not classified as major jobs, this unrelated to that Jiffy Lube article about four tires falling off, which I will call.. suspicious, though perhaps not absolutely impossible (since it is implied they were not put back on with an impact wrench, which is how they were taken off, so. But that is unrelated to this wheel bearing, only what we will believe. Back to the issue at hand,)

GearheadTool??? Is that you?

My Buick eats front wheel bearings every year. So this time i let my shop use their own parts , it was a Timken. It failed in less than one year.

They refused to cover the labor because I was over the 12,000 mile mark. It failed much sooner but I didn't have time to take it in.

I'm going to my other mechanic now and supplying an oem part.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I do not give a parts warranty on customer supplied parts.

so how would you give a labor warranty?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My Buick eats front wheel bearings every year. So this time i let my shop use their own parts , it was a Timken. It failed in less than one year.

They refused to cover the labor because I was over the 12,000 mile mark. It failed much sooner but I didn't have time to take it in.

do you regularly drive over miles and miles of speed bumps at high speed?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

We just had a situation where a customer brought in a car that had one of those warranties you see advertised at 2AM. The vehicle needed an engine, and we were supplied with one by this company. It was a "reman" that ended up being from an Escape, but from a different year. This company would not send out another one, told us to install the one that was provided and would not pay for the extra time required for the technician to make it work. Ended up having to bill the customer for the extra time to make it work, and also told the customer that since we were forced to use the supplied engine that was incorrect, there would no no warranty through us whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

We just had a situation where a customer brought in a car that had one of those warranties you see advertised at 2AM. The vehicle needed an engine, and we were supplied with one by this company. It was a "reman" that ended up being from an Escape, but from a different year. This company would not send out another one, told us to install the one that was provided and would not pay for the extra time required for the technician to make it work. Ended up having to bill the customer for the extra time to make it work, and also told the customer that since we were forced to use the supplied engine that was incorrect, there would no no warranty through us whatsoever.

crazy2.gif

So basically regardless of the situation, a shop does not need to warranty their work if a customer supplies the part...

Am I correct in this statement due to the lack of responses?

How can a shop warranty their work if you supplied the part?

The basic premise when customer supplied the part is following:-

1) There is enough trust between the customer and the shop, developed over years of business
2) Customer knows the shop and trusts the shop that it will NOT intentionally sabotage their work or the vehicle
3) Shop knows the customer and trusts him to supply OEM or better quality parts and trusts customer's diagnosis.
4) If a question comes between the quality of the shop's work vs quality of the supplied part, the customer has to suspect the part and NOT the labor. If he can not, he should stop visiting the shop.

Since it is not easy to satisfy all of the above conditions, it is rare for a shop to install customer supplied parts.

By the way, for tough problems, the customer ends up paying for missed diagnosis even at the most reputed shops. I know of no single case where a shop has ever said "oops our diagnosis was wrong and you really did not need that previous $595 repair, here is your $595 back!"

Bottomline:- When you have found a shop which lets you supply your own parts, just eat an occasional mishap by yourself. In the long run, you will still come ahead.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How can a shop warranty their work if you supplied the part?

The basic premise when customer supplied the part is following:-

1) There is enough trust between the customer and the shop, developed over years of business
2) Customer knows the shop and trusts the shop that it will NOT intentionally sabotage their work or the vehicle
3) Shop knows the customer and trusts him to supply OEM or better quality parts and trusts customer's diagnosis.
4) If a question comes between the quality of the shop's work vs quality of the supplied part, the customer has to suspect the part and NOT the labor. If he can not, he should stop visiting the shop.

Since it is not easy to satisfy all of the above conditions, it is rare for a shop to install customer supplied parts.

By the way, for tough problems, the customer ends up paying for missed diagnosis even at the most reputed shops. I know of no single case where a shop has ever said "oops our diagnosis was wrong and you really did not need that previous $595 repair, here is your $595 back!"

Bottomline:- When you have found a shop which lets you supply your own parts, just eat an occasional mishap by yourself. In the long run, you will still come ahead.

A huge +1.

The walmart mentality that everything can be returned/is warranted within X amount of time will get you nowhere with a good indy shop. Give and take relationship, like pretty much any good relationship.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

i like this

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My Buick eats front wheel bearings every year. So this time i let my shop https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/markup_panel/default/bigger.gifuse their own parts , it was a Timken. It failed in less than one year.

Repeated failures of front hubs on these cars is common regardless of brand even OE.
Over torque of the axle nut is almost always the culprit. There are some sites that give a spec of over 180 ft lbs others have 159 and 154 ft lbs for 2001-2002 even though they are the same axle, knuckle and bearing as the 2000 which are 118 ft lbs
I confirmed with GM tech the correct axle nut torque for the 97-2002 (also -04 depending on model) is 118 ft lbs.

Torquing to 150-180 ft lbs will result in early failure. I put a set of US made TImkens on a car 70K ago set at 118 ft lbs and they have been great, no noise or ABS light issue.
This is a super easy one to do front hubs on, about 45 min to an hour.

Don't they have a castle nut and cotter pint arrangement? If so, I never understood why they need to be tighten to 200 lb-ft. I am talking about generic axle nut here and not the specific for this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back