MS releases convenience update for Win 7 (SP2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft has released a ‘convenience rollup’ for Windows 7 which contains hundreds of updates for the operating system. The updates in this rollup are from after Service Pack 1 up to April 2016.
The convenience part of the rollup is that users who do a clean install no longer have to wait till the hundreds of updates released since Windows 7 SP1 have been downloaded and installed. The update process could take several hours after which the Windows 7 installation was finally up-to-date.

Windows 7 was released in October 2009 and the first Service Pack (SP1) was released in February 2011. It took Microsoft more than 5 years to release this ‘convenience rollup’.

Users that want to do a clean install of Windows 7 are now able to download and install Service Pack 1 and today’s rollup to end up with a fully up-to-date system. This saves hours of time.

Microsoft also announced that it will continue to release monthly rollups for Windows Service Pack 1 and also for Windows 8.1. Convenience rollups for Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 will also become available in the future.

The updates will be distributed through the Microsoft Update Catalogue, which currently only works with Internet Explorer because it requires ActiveX support. Later this year the update process will become browser independent.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/DownloadInformation.aspx

Hilarious how on Win10 going to that catalog site with MS Edge, IE 12, Chrome tells you that you need to use a browser greater than IE 6+. Not even trying emulation mode gets past it. It's clear they are checking the browser string's OS level, but how else will your enthusiast family PC support guy/gal easily download the file without jumping through web developer hoops?

I just tried this and DL'd the updates and double clicked to run them; It did the "searching for updates on this computer" forever and never did anything....
never got past that point.

Anyone tried this yet?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I just tried this and DL'd the updates and double clicked to run them; It did the "searching for updates on this computer" forever and never did anything....
never got past that point.

Anyone tried this yet?

It is the same issue as another poster had in another thread with his fresh windows 7 install, which is that process takes forever.

I installed this pack on a fresh install yesterday, and I literally left it for hours. Finally just let it run over night and when I checked it this AM, it had installed.

I did a fresh install of Win7x64 Fri and Sat.
I needed to follow this page (indicates an intermediate April 2015 “Servicing Stack” 3020369 needs to be installed after Service Pack 1 and before the "Convenience Rollup").

So is this 'convenience update' only for bringing a fresh install up to date quickly?

I'm assuming if you have Windows 7 SP1 and have been doing regular updates that this doesn't apply?

I wonder if all the Get Windows 10 updated are also included in this convenience update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back