Difference between Ground Beef and Ground Chuck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you guys will know. I have no clue.
confused2.gif

Seems like ground beef is 80/20 and ground chuck is always 85/15 for some reason.
21.gif

And then there's another one called ground sirloin.
21.gif

It has to do with what cuts were ground...
beef_map.jpg

Ground Chuck comes from the Chuck, ground round the round, ground sirloin, the sirloin, etc.

Ground beef, can be from any part of the beef, and is usually the leftovers after the more expensive cuts are...cut...

Grinding cow and grinding the guy grinding the cow? Grinding different cut give different flavor from meat/fat ratios etc etc.
I prefer the face. The cheek meat is so good. People look at you funny in the urban areas when you are going up the driveway holding a severed head, even if it is just a cows head...

The good tasting ground beef says 73% lean, 27% fat. It has the best flavor for making hamburgers period. It shrinks the most when you cook it though. There is less of it in the supermarkets due to more and more people eating out and I don't think the Giant Eagle super market chain even sells it. It's in demand by restaurants because of its flavor.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The good tasting ground beef says 73% lean, 27% fat. It has the best flavor for making hamburgers period. It shrinks the most when you cook it though. There is less of it in the supermarkets due to more and more people eating out and I don't think the Giant Eagle super market chain even sells it. It's in demand by restaurants because of its flavor.

Winn Dixie was always good for the meat cuts. I usually got the 80/20 or the leanest meat patties they had, since that is still a lot of fat. It was very expensive, though.

Add on some seasoning just after it cooks to a red center, test with a fork to see if it is how you like it and, voila.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In any Publix store there is a wonderful product called market Ground beef.

Try it. It is terrific...
I don't normally buy burger at Publix, but when I do, it's market ground beef.

My local HEB sells ground Brisket patties. Oh man are they good done up on the grill.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm sure you guys will know. I have no clue.
confused2.gif

Seems like ground beef is 80/20 and ground chuck is always 85/15 for some reason.
21.gif

And then there's another one called ground sirloin.
21.gif

Chuck lost the bet.

I worked at a couple smaller meat departments in my Teen days.

Anything that was not made into a normal cut was ground beef. Normally we ground shanks into ground beef cause we could get them cheaper than anything else.
So it could be anything really unless its marked as a special grind, then only if they are honest.

OP is in California, we don't have Publix.

MERKAVA_4 ,buy a grinder and grind chuck roasts. I buy basically anything on markdown, and grind my own. It tastes like meat when you cook it. We did ribeyes last weekend, had one extra. I ground it and cooked it to medium on the grill the next day. Best Burgers Ever.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

OP is in California, we don't have Publix.

Wow, that stinks. Publix is an excellent store, at least in Florida...

Just grind your own. Not only can you control exactly what goes in it, but you can also adjust the grind or add other meats such as pork or blend spices directly into the grind.

Buy your meats at your local locker and you can buy it for much less than the mass-market meats in your grocery store. To top it off, not only does beef, pork and chicken raised on a non-industrial diet taste better, but it keeps everything local. The meats that we eat are all raised within a dozen miles of here.

I was a little grossed out after reading Consumer Reports last summer, and now don't buy "ground beef" anymore, just ground chuck or round:

Ground beef
This can come from meat and fat trimmings from multiple animals, as well as other beef components, such as esophagus, diaphragm, or cheek of the animal. The maximum amount of fat by weight it can contain is 30 percent.

Pure beef patties
Also called 100 percent beef patties, these are similar to ground beef but can contain partially defatted chopped beef. Regular “beef patties” can also contain defatted beef, and organ meats, water, binders, fillers, and extenders. Those latter ingredients must be listed on the label.

Ground chuck
When you see a cut of beef denoted on the label—such as chuck, round, or sirloin—the meat and meat trimmings come from that part of the animal. No beef components can be added. However, it can still contain meat from multiple animals.

Source:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/08/ground-beef-terms-explained/index.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back