whixh ATF for older 4L60e?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the Supertech HM in my 4L60e. After 4 or 5 siphon and fills, it has shifted like butta for 2 years. It just tripped 180,000 miles.

I've been running Valvoline Dex VI in my '96 wagon with the 4L60E. I started with GM branded Dex VI around 120k or before, don't recall. It has 203k on it now and still shifts like new. I've never used the Maxlife ATF, but I'm sure it would work great also.

The transmissions on those series trucks are rather old school so no need to worry about ATF, any old Dexron III or newer will do. Maxlife does have a good reputation. Even the diesel shop that rebuilt my Dodge Ram Cummins swears by Maxlife.

The factory also made deep pans with drain plug for this transmission. They came on the 99 and up trucks. I ordered one back in the day for my 98 ext-cab Z71 that I bought new and I've never had it leak. Someone told me that you can no longer buy them but you can probably find one at a salvage yard.

Wayne

I recently put Maxlife in an 06 4L60E that specs DexVI. It's all good.

Then I tried using maxlife in the 06 transfer case that specs DexIII-H. That did not go well. The transfer case was shuddering around corners. Doing some research on here many state that Maxlife has changed recently. It's a little thinner viscosity than it used to be, which could explain my experience.

So it's no slam dunk that Maxlife is going to work on your older 4L60E that specs DexIII. Might be fine, might shudder and slip because it's too thin

Years ago I tried Mobil 1 ATF in my 98 with the 4L60E and it didn't like it. Trans felt like it was slipping. I switched back to a regular ATF and everything was back to normal.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I recently put Maxlife in an 06 4L60E that specs DexVI. It's all good.

Then I tried using maxlife in the 06 transfer case that specs DexIII-H. That did not go well. The transfer case was shuddering around corners. Doing some research on here many state that Maxlife has changed recently. It's a little thinner viscosity than it used to be, which could explain my experience.

So it's no slam dunk that Maxlife is going to work on your older 4L60E that specs DexIII. Might be fine, might shudder and slip because it's too thin

Some TC's are sensitive to minute differences in viscosity and still specify a Dexron III type ATF of 7.X cSt.

In the GM AutoTrac TC's, the GM Auto Trac II fluid or the Valvoline 855459 Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back