Oil consumption 2006 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to continue to monitor my oil consumption and will report back if anything changes.

Just an update to the oil consumption. I've been checking the oil religiously every week and it has definitely continued to use oil. Today I did my weekly check and the oil level was approaching the L mark on the dipstick so I decided to top off.

I've driven about 2000 km since last adding oil. I added about 1/2 a litre to bring it to just under the H mark or about 3/4 up the dipstick. At this rate I've used about 0.8L of oil in 4000km: 0.3L leftover from the 5L jug when I did the initial change and 0.5L today. I'm sure I could add another 1/4 of a quart to get it to the H mark. I'm wondering what my options are at this point. I'm not panicking yet but at this rate of consumption, an 8000 km interval would put me at 2L of consumption. The car has just over 100, 000 km. If it is using this much oil now I can only imagine what it will be at 200, 000 km. I suppose I can continue to monitor and see where it goes or change oil/viscosity. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mb32
If it is using this much oil now I can only imagine what it will be at 200, 000 km.

It's quite possible that consumption will remain at this rate for a long time, especially if the oil is changed at conservative intervals.
1L per 4000km is marginally annoying; and the cat converter and O2 sensors won't last as long as they could, but the OEM will claim this is acceptable, at least in regards to warranty claims.

problems with oil ring sticking ... use an oil that tend to polymerization at high temp cause it. changing oil don't help at all. I hear Kreen from kanolabs.com helps.
(having g37 over 120K km, 0 (i mean literally 0) oil consumption, Just avoiding any oil that tend to polimerizate itself at high temp. Simply boil it in a metal can and you see all [censored] appears on bottom. (this thing will accumulate on a oil ring and a compression ring , limiting flexibility and severe problems) as a test, stinky one but works. pennzoil, any kind, pass ... btw

so as i said a changing oil doesn't help, need to cure disease.

Update

I'm on my second oil change with the car and so far the oil consumption seems to have reduced.

I'm still using Castrol 5W-30 Edge. The car calls for 4.7L with an oil filter change. So far I've only used what I had remaining from my 5L jug in about 4000 km. So about 1/3 to 1/2 a litre of oil in 4000 km.

I checked the oil today and the oil level is still above the halfway point.

I'm not driving the car as much either since my commute is not as far. Would it still be prudent to change the oil at the 6 months mark even if I have not reached 8000 km? I'm using an Mobil 1 Extended M108 oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back