Pennzoil Cleaning Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not until that long ago Pennzoil's web page was showing how it can clean engine better than Valvoline and Mobil1 by displaying oil bottles on top of pistons with PP being higher than the other two.

But Castrol which is a major brand was left out. Do you think Castrol does a better job at that and that's why it was left out? Pennzoil could easily squeeze 4 pistons in that image.

I think they all do a good job. Pennzoil might clean a dirty motor better but if you used castrol synthetic and changed it often enough I think the results would be minute. Im using castrol magnatec 0w20 and change at 20% OLM with a top off and filter swap every 5k and fill that Castrol has a solid product. I used pennzoil/quaker state syn in my hyundai accent bc I bought out autozone when they had it for 2$ a qt or less and it did fine. If you dont neglect a car most oils will do fine.

NO, Castrol Edge is not as good a cleaner as Mobil 1. It did say that in a previous section, although it might have been an article from Shell about Ultra.

I can't speak for castrol on this matter but I have personally seen pennzoil clean the V8 on my mother in laws truck. Switched from QSAD 5w-30 to PHM and in less than 2200 miles of an oci, pulled the plug and it was straight black mess pouring out. The wix filter was just as horrible. I'm not squashing QS good name because it got her motor 210k original miles(mostly QS) but Pennzoil has made a believer out of me in the art of cleaning that mess.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They're all within an eyelash of each other. By the way, you do know that QS and Pennzoil are both Shell oil products, right?

Well maybe they should bring the detergent game of QS up to the same level as pennzoil....right??

well pennzoil did for an engine what Quaker state didn't and still can't. Proof is in the pudding my friend

When I compared VOA's of Pennzoil, Castrol and Quaker State synthetic oil, there wasn't much of a difference . Actually, I think Quaker State had more calcium. I don't know how Pennzoil cleans better that the other synthetic oil's. The only thing may be in the base oil itself. They may be using a small amount of grp 5 synthetic ester in their base stock.

They have toned down on their cleaning claims lately. The percentages delta in their latest pdf is lower, and they state "compared to industry standard' as opposed to the 'leading competitor' in past. Whatever it is, it's a decent oil.

I don't buy that QS doesn't clean. Sorry, I call horse carp as my father and grandpa always use QSGB and have never had sludge or dirty engines. Pennzoil is good, but so is QSGB as Garak knows
smile.gif

Look, what I know is that an engine that has had 210k put on it using QSAD has got crud all over the innards. I ran two oci's of PHM 5w-30 for less than 2500 miles each and the oil was black as night when drained which tells me it's cleaning very well just from that angle. I'm not saying it has rebuilt the entire motor but it has done its job cleaning. Quaker state is a good oil and I'm not trying to discredit that. I'm just telling you of my observation between it and Pennzoils cleaning abilities.

You guys really need to calm down around here. I swear you get your head bitten off for asking a question or making a statement and heaven forbid somebody decides your wrong....

I am just surprised that QSGB did that. Nitronoise put like 275k on a car that's still alive. I want to know the oci intervals that QSGB was run, cause I went 7,500 miles each run with QSGB with our issues

Sorry about your luck bud

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
I can't speak for castrol on this matter but I have personally seen pennzoil clean the V8 on my mother in laws truck. Switched from QSAD 5w-30 to PHM and in less than 2200 miles of an oci, pulled the plug and it was straight black mess pouring out. The wix filter was just as horrible. I'm not squashing QS good name because it got her motor 210k original miles(mostly QS) but Pennzoil has made a believer out of me in the art of cleaning that mess.

The only reason oil turns black is because it's cleaning the motor. Great logic! I'm leaving my oil in for 100k then. It'll be REALLY black at that point. Imagine all the cleaning it's doing!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Look, what I know is that an engine that has had 210k put on it using QSAD has got crud all over the innards. I ran two oci's of PHM 5w-30 for less than 2500 miles each and the oil was black as night when drained which tells me it's cleaning very well just from that angle. I'm not saying it has rebuilt the entire motor but it has done its job cleaning. Quaker state is a good oil and I'm not trying to discredit that. I'm just telling you of my observation between it and Pennzoils cleaning abilities.

You guys really need to calm down around here. I swear you get your head bitten off for asking a question or making a statement and heaven forbid somebody decides your wrong....

So you took it apart and looked at the innards and have done so again after running PZ HM? "Look, what I know..." It seems you don't know much given your "results" don't have controls in place or pics of the engine.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Not until that long ago Pennzoil's web page was showing how it can clean engine better than Valvoline and Mobil1 by displaying oil bottles on top of pistons with PP being higher than the other two.

But Castrol which is a major brand was left out. Do you think Castrol does a better job at that and that's why it was left out? Pennzoil could easily squeeze 4 pistons in that image.

Pennzoil did use to show a graph that had Castrol listed. The current one now doesn't list it any more. Castrol could have been reformulated and is now producing better results. For whatever reason Pennzoil stopped including Castrol's results.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Originally Posted By: davison0976

Pennzoil did use to show a graph that had Castrol listed. The current one now doesn't list it any more. Castrol could have been reformulated and is now producing better results. For whatever reason Pennzoil stopped including Castrol's results.

Pennzoil is still claiming cleaner pistons versus any synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back