Kia and Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

If my memory serves me, both brands are under the same umbrella? Also, looking (eventually) for a new car. I know they've had some weird engine issues (chunks of metal needing to be removed) and such, but otherwise...how reliable are they? Looking for owners and their views in the cars...model, year, how many miles and issues that aren't typical maintenance items (typical being oil change, new brakes, coolant flush, etc). Or, if yours (knock on wood) has been "trouble free". I'm looking mostly at their smaller, cheaper, versions. Possibly one of their pepped up turbo engines. Not looking to spend over $25k.

Ive always driven Nissan, Honda, and Subaru so I'm used to fairly long running, cheap to maintain cars.

Last edited:
+1 on the Honda. My 2013 civic has 200 miles shy of 100k(commuter for first 70k) and it has been flawless. Only out of the ordinary issue I have had is the driver side window motor had to be replaced at 63k but other than that haven't had an issue. I paid right at $23k for it new

We have a 2011 Kia Sorento, got it gently used in 2012. My wife drives a lot so it currently has ~125K miles on it. No major problems.

I've had to replace the brake pads a couple of times, but that's the way she drives.

The rear seat latch in these is known to stick (it has a wimpy cable). I've overcome that by spraying lube in the latch at the hinge and operating the latch regularly.

I had to replace the air bag clock spring behind the steering wheel. It was throwing an air bag light.

I also replaced the lower control arms because the ball joints got "clunky".

But that's about it, not bad for 125K miles. Overall, it's been reliable.

13 elantra, non DI. Been great so far. I did have an o2 sensor go out and it killed the cat. Dealer repaired in quickly and without issue. Nothing else done, still on original brake pads.

Last edited:
i highly recommend Hyundai.. We have 2 Santa fe's 2010 and 2011 and they have been great.
For the last 10 years or so we saw very few of them in my engine shop. The only thing is these days they are not cheap anymore but they do have the best warranty out there. Great vehicles in my opinion. I would put their reliability up there with any Toyota or Honda when they were still built well.
Look really close at how all the body panels fit perfectly compare that with some other makes you can see it for yourself.

I have had pretty positive experiences with the ones I have owned. We had a 2005 Kia Optima which was trouble free except for a window regulator which was replaced under warranty. We only had that for 2 years or so so nothing long term to report. We also had a 2001 Accent which we drove from 40k to about 130k. The only non-maintenance stuff was a wheel bearing front struts an 02 sensor and valve cover gasket. Also had a 2004 Elantra. Same deal. Very few issues. Currently have a 2016 Elantra and no issues. I would definitely recommend either brand.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i highly recommend Hyundai.. We have 2 Santa fe's 2010 and 2011 and they have been great.
For the last 10 years or so we saw very few of them in my engine shop. The only thing is these days they are not cheap anymore but they do have the best warranty out there. Great vehicles in my opinion. I would put their reliability up there with any Toyota or Honda when they were still built well.
Look really close at how all the body panels fit perfectly compare that with some other makes you can see it for yourself.

Any experience with the Honda K20A3 and cam galling? Off topic I know.

My issue with other cars is they're so boring, Ford is the only company other than Kia and Hyundai that make moderately powered, sporty looking, cheap cars. I want efficient but a little power when I punch it down. The Civic is bland. Waiting for their new hatch to see what that's like. I also want a hatchback for hauling and carrying stuff. I'm shocked people bug cars with trunks. Hatches are so much more versatile.

My Sonata in my sig has 108k miles. It's been good, but not great. It's starting to make weird noises now.

So far I've had replaced:
-oil pan(due to a leak improperly fixed by dealer)
-steering column bushing
- numerous recalls for various little things: fuel door cable, shifter parts, brake hoses and I still need to get the engine recall done.
-starter arm (very labor intense but did on my own)
-a/c condenser under warranty

I'm on my third set if tires. The car tracks perfectly straight and the tires have always worn evenly. She still gets 25 city/30-35 hwy depending on speed. Transmission shifts great.

In hindsight, I should have spent a few grand more on an Accord. Hondas are indestructible and rock solid.

I vote for Accord or Camry. Both low tech and very reliable, inexpensive to buy/insure.

Stay away from new Civic. Its ugly and too new for problems to pop up on redesigned car.

I drove a new 2012 Kia Forte for 3years/57,000 mi. with NO warranty or other issues at all. Oil changes, tires and air filters were the only maintenance done. Good mileage, nice car.

My daughter now has a 2015 Hyundai Sonata that she bought new. 15 months/18,000 mi. and one very minor warranty item, fixed with no problem. Good mileage, nice car.

I recommend both.

A good friend had a Sonata a couple years back that had to go back to the dealer on a fairly regular basis. It had some weird electrical issue where it would drain batteries and then leave my friend stranded. They never could figure it the problem and he traded it in a Ford Fusion Hybrid. It was a nice car that rode very well but left him stranded one too many times.

I had an '02 Elantra GT sedan, drove it for almost 10 years/135,000 miles. Only major issue I had was a transmission solenoid that went out at 99,940 miles, and was fixed under warranty. Had a few other little things (headlight and radio replaced under warranty, paint was [censored], a know issue in that year model). Sold it when I got my truck, I would like to have kept it for my kid, but it was still a few years till she started driving.
I also had a '04 Tucson, had it for almost 3 years with no issues at all. Sold it due to having another kid and needing more room.
I have 2 sisters that own a Santa Fe ('11 and a '12) and both are well over 100,000 miles with no major issues (one has had the alternator replaced). One sister had a '00 Sonata that she got used for almost 10 years with no issues (was totaled in an accident, replaced with the '12 Santa Fe).

When looking for a new car, we seriously considered a Kia Soul, but could not come to a deal we liked with 2 Kia dealers, so got the Scion. I would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai or a Kia model. As it looks right now, a Hyundai/Kia SUV is high on our list for our next vehicle in a few years.

I would rate Hyundai on an even field with a few Japanese brands. I think they are a bit better than most Nissans these days.

If I was in the market for a new Japanese car right now, it would be between the Camry and the Mazda 6.

Love our 2011 sorento v6. 78k trouble free miles. Sometimes the gas door doesn't open on the first try with the button but that's it.

105k on 2010 Hyundai 2.4L.
All I've done is 5k OCIs on conventional, tires, engine & cabin filters, wipers and a headlight bulb.
Just 2 days ago took it in for spark plugs (due 105k), coolant (due 120k), 3-point fuel cleaning service, brake pads & turn rotors. Would have done it myself but recent surgery has me on light duty, really I didn't feel up to it.
I expected them to up-sell something to me (battery, belt, ?) but they said everything was fine even though I asked to check things out and let me know what it could use. Everything works - no issues. Never add oil (barely drops from fresh OC to 5k). Never added coolant which seems strange to me for 105k, although it was down almost to the low level.

We have 2 Hyundai's
the 3.8 has close to 100k miles and the 5.0 has about 30k miles.

Both have been relatively trouble free and would rate them highly.

We were in the market for a 7 seat SUV and I had my heart set on a new Explorer. A friend of mine suggested I try the Kia Sorento. I had the same stereotypes of the brand being bottom of the barrel but I went to the dealer and took one out.

Was I ever surprised. I ended up buying a new loaded Sorento which after all was said and done was $12 000 cheaper than the Explorer. The materials that is used now in the interior is top notch and the attention detail in the vehicle is excellent.

Oh, I also got a 10 year 200 000kms factory warranty.
thumbsup2.gif

First of all, Hyundai and Kia are not under the same umbrella. Common mistake since they share a common R&D/tech relationship and prior history. During the Asian financial crisis in the 90's they were rolled together (Hyundai holding 51%) but has since been divested. Also, Kia own other Hyundai sub-brands. As a result, Hyundai hold 33% stake in Kia. For comparison, Toyota holds about 20% of Subaru. Ford (at one time) owned about 1/3 of Mazda during the crisis and then divested. Then you have companies like Jatco... but that is a different story. The take away is that while there are part-owner relationships they are not the same company like a Fiat-Chrysler or even the 43% share Nissan-Renault. Renault holds the 43% share in Nissan btw and Nissan is the bigger seller. So, it is something between the RN alliance and Toyota-Subaru partnership.

If you look at where Hyundai's reliability is, it is basically on par with Honda (and better than Acura) of late. What? One, Honda has fallen off the map recently (only the Accord should be allowed to wear the Honda badge... the rest should be given a Mercury badge) and Hyundai has improved a lot particularly with its mainstream sedans/CUVs. It is still not in the Toyota, Subaru, Mazda realm, but is getting closer. It is a LOT better than Nissan.

On a whole, Hyundai has the engineering of major items spot-on but sometimes it is the fit-and-finish that is not quite Toyota levels. So expect the trim and minor items to have issues... which is exactly a problem sport with Hondas. Hyundai will make Nissan look like a Chrysler.

Kia is a little better because whenever Hyundai rolls out a new tech/vehicle, Kia gets it in a year or two. Thus Kia is not the guinea-hampster and avoids a lot of the first-run issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back