need feedback...oil in bike for 2 years too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I always recommend seemingly frequent oil changes. For all the reasons listed above. In addition, micro-particulates are exceptionally hard on chains, such as cam and balancer chains. The reason is that the chains are highly loaded with very small bearing surface area. The only viable way to ensure cam chain life is to change the oil regularly with the appropriate (not too thin) viscosity.

Ever wonder why so many bikes wear out cam chains? Now you know. Or maybe you did not know that a worn cam chain changes cam timing to a retarded position. And that the worn cam chain may not be self-evident to owners, until they are worn beyond limits and rattle. Owners simply accept the loss of performance and smoothness. Suzuki DRZ-400's wear cam chains out rapidly. Even the mighty KLR650 is prone to cam chain and balancer chain wear. In fact, it's the subject of aftermarket "tweaks" on the KLR. It's not uncommon for DRZ owners to go through 3 cam chains through the bike's life.

I'm not so worried about the years, if it's a robust synthetic oil. I'm concerned about miles and wear particulates.

I will never understand the logic behind saving $20 and risking $4000.

This may well be true, but I'm not clear that it's directly relevant to the topic at hand. This is about low mileage and (therefore) possible time expiry of oil. To simplify a bit, time expiry of oil will be about slow oxidative changes. Particulates are mostly generated by wear, so they wont accumulate much, if at all, when the oil is just sitting.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I bet the TBN and TAN numbers if you ran those oils through an analysis would be very poor, showing they are spent.

I bet they wouldn't, but I don't know either.

Perhaps someone will post some actual data, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Depends how it was stored as I posted. If it is out in a non heated garage or under a cover outside all winter in Pennsylvania....I bet the oil has taken a beating. They are not exactly using the best oil either, especially the guy running the Castrol conventional which most VOA/UOA show is on the low end of mediocre.

Why will an oil exposed to winter temperatures "take a beating"?

The potentially damaging environmental element is water, specifically condensation inside the engine.

That'll be greatest when day-night temperature changes cause dew, so spring and autumn are probably the most damaging times.

A priori the most exposed components are probably the camshaft, maybe the valves, and maybe the piston rings. There isn't much oil on any of these, so the most relevant oil property is likely to be the oils retention on surfaces, rather than bulk oil properties like base number.

I've seen it claimed that straight mineral oils give better corrosion protection to light aircraft engines (which are idle most of the time) because of the protective effect of oil film and varnish, but I havn't seen any data.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Can anyone provide even one verifiable account of 3 year/3000mi old oil damaging an engine?

Maybe the better question would be ...

Why would anyone invest in a vehicle and not even perform the basic required maintenance stated by the manufacturer of the vehicle?

As far as your question, the people in this forum and all forums combined are just a tiny needle in a haystack of the amount of people who own vehicles, never mind reasons being left to an opinion of "mechanic" regarding the reason of any failure.
Add to that, anyone doing that little mileage, the bike will/may far outlast the owner or the owners interest (in most cases).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Can anyone provide even one verifiable account of 3 year/3000mi old oil damaging an engine?

Maybe the better question would be ...

Why would anyone invest in a vehicle and not even perform the basic required maintenance stated by the manufacturer of the vehicle?

As far as your question, the people in this forum and all forums combined are just a tiny needle in a haystack of the amount of people who own vehicles, never mind reasons being left to an opinion of "mechanic" regarding the reason of any failure.
Add to that, anyone doing that little mileage, the bike will/may far outlast the owner or the owners interest (in most cases).

Move to strike the answer as non-responsive...
wink.gif

thanks for the feedback...basically the guy who has the Rebel declined my offer to do the labor on an oil change (not sure if it's a lack of trust or because he's hyperfocused on resurrecting a Magna V30 he snaggec at an auction) and the other guy with the Magna 750 keeps running around the idea of spending $$$ on the bike so the oil change I did for him this year is the LAST attempt to help promote common sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back