Speed bumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen people drive over a speed bump with the wheels on one side going over the bump and the wheels on the other side going through a gap and staying flat on the ground?

I've always thought that at slow speed the twisting motion imposed on the vehicle was worse than having both wheels go over together.

The Boi Racers with their lowered cars go over them at an angle...they also crawl over rail crossings too. That's dumb, if you want to do a runner from the cops, you can't go crawling over a speed bump at an angle.

Better not hit any potholes either if you're concerned about twisting the vehicle. Or approach a ramp at an angle, or go over some dirt road that isn't the flattest.

going over a speedbump with only half the car (preferably the empty passenger side) is more comfortable for the driver. And it's the less loaded side of the suspension taking the brunt.

I honestly can't seeing this being an issue.

Suspension is supposed to conform to the driving surface.. its not like the vehicle is articulating with one wheel in the air.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Have you seen people drive over a speed bump with the wheels on one side going over the bump and the wheels on the other side going through a gap and staying flat on the ground?

I've always thought that at slow speed the twisting motion imposed on the vehicle was worse than having both wheels go over together.

have you ever changed a tyre or rotated your tyres ?

just imagine the stresses, on top of the stresses that you have already imagined with the speed bump example...and held for a number of minutes...5 through 30 depending on your speed.

It's meaningless in the scheme of a car's lifetime. double impact would seem to me to be more damaging...but still meaningless in individual context.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Better not hit any potholes either if you're concerned about twisting the vehicle. Or approach a ramp at an angle, or go over some dirt road that isn't the flattest.

This. With how bad our roads are here, I'l take any relief from bumps that I can. If possible, I usually take speed bumps with only one side of the vehicle. The series of potholes 10 feet down the road will even out the wear anyhow
grin.gif

What I hate about speed bumps is the people in SUVs who slow to a crawl going over them, like any faster than 1 MPH will cause the vehicle to disintegrate...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
What I hate about speed bumps is the people in SUVs who slow to a crawl going over them, like any faster than 1 MPH will cause the vehicle to disintegrate...

I don't think SUVs make a difference. Some have a hard enough leading edge that hitting it front on fast is jarring to the vehicle and the people inside. That's what I hate, the initial slam on some of these, even if they're pretty low and small.

Some speed bumps are a LOT bigger than others. Some are like little mountains. Designed so you essentially have to stop, accelerate over the first part of it, drive over the plateau, and slowly get off the plateau. Huge.

I also think the stresses of going over one bump, good point about varying speeds, with one extra compression of the suspension components on one side, is exaggerated. By that logic, scrubbing off speed or engine-braking on a highway exit ramp would stress it more, too. Non-issue.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Why would that be harmful for a vehicle? Aren't the dynamics similar when you turn a corner on a hilly road? All of the vehicles I've ever owned have suspension fully capable of handling something as mundane as a speed bump.

Back in the 60's when I was in the Military they put speed bumps in our appartment complex, one night at 2 AM we poured kerosene on them.

Smoothed them right out in short order, but it was a little messy. Didn't have cameras all over back then. LOL

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

I don't think SUVs make a difference. Some have a hard enough leading edge that hitting it front on fast is jarring to the vehicle and the people inside. That's what I hate, the initial slam on some of these, even if they're pretty low and small.

that sounds good but bro trucks do it too..

come to rolling stop to cross some "ok" tracks

like this guy.

2015-06-18%2018.46.30.jpg

Its pretty comical.

Maybe he thinks his stacks will fall over???

Yeah people will go out of their way to do it. I don't get it.

Sometimes they drive on the sidewalk in neighborhoods so that the passenger side of their car doesn't go over the speed bump

confused2.gif

Maybe I just notice it more with SUVs. I think it's hilarious that people come to a stop and inch their way over a speedbump while driving a BMW X5, a $60,000 marvel of Teutonic engineering, while the guy behind him in a Grand Marquis goes over the bump like it isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back