Eating too LITTLE salt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take all of these "reports" with a grain of salt (no pun intended). Every other year report X is overridden by report Y, only to have report Z to agree with report X's findings at a later date (hence the u-turn the OP describes). With that said, I stopped adding salt to my food back in grade school because I do not like the taste of it. Though I was overweight (until last year) my whole life, my BP and lipids have been good, but are even better after the weight loss--110/72 and cholesterol is 77.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yes...and the US media reports what they want to report, not what the facts are.
Too little salt, and the body does not retain sufficient water to function properly.

Why report on something that doesn't occur? "Like.."Make sure you get enough sodium in your diet"...lol. Its almost impossible for the body to have insufficient salt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yes...and the US media reports what they want to report, not what the facts are.
Too little salt, and the body does not retain sufficient water to function properly.

Why report on something that doesn't occur? "Like.."Make sure you get enough sodium in your diet"...lol. Its almost impossible for the body to have insufficient salt.

Why? Because people have drawn completely incorrect conclusions from scientific data.

Quote:

It has long been held that a diet high in salt is dangerous to the heart, raising the risk of heart attack and stroke.

But, in a dramatic U-turn, the scientific evidence has suggested the opposite can also be true.

Why is this a "dramatic uturn" Scientific data points to dangers of high salt diets. Who reported we then should avoid all sodium, no report I've ever seen. People have drawn the conclusion that "sodium is bad" and apparently should be avoided. There is an USRA on intake of sodium and it is not 0.

It needs to be reported since 'not everyone' enjoys the same amount of knowledge and information as everyone else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Why? Because people have drawn completely incorrect conclusions from scientific data.
It needs to be reported since 'not everyone' enjoys the same amount of knowledge and information as everyone else.

Whatever you say
smile.gif

Last edited:
This is about like saying, getting hit with a ton of lead will kill you. But also, getting hit with 8 grams of lead will also kill you.

The difference is, the 8 grams (124 grains) of lead is travelling at over 1200 fps.

Context is everything.

Only time I grab the salt grinder (has some kind of pink salt) is to add a little on hard boiled eggs, red radish, and can't think of anything else. Oh, use non-iodine salt for smoking salmon.
Other than that, whatever the the wife uses cooking.

I generally won't add salt to anything, but I did make the mistake once of adding it to grits, and then later to some homemade pad Thai. Ever since... I find I wind up putting on large amounts onto either, when I get the chance. I don't sweat it, as I sweat profusely when I exercise so there's a chance I needed it anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back