Found 2 cases of "old" Quaker State 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story, but the gist of it is that my Dad passed away 2 years ago and recently while cleaning out one of the storage buildings I found 2 cases of QS conventional 10w-30. I have no idea how old it is, he had a habit of finding oil on sale and buying every bit a store had in stock. This oil would have been intended for my 1988 Monte Carlo Super Sport which he loved to drive and would "borrow" from time to time. Every time he would "borrow" it the car came back with a fresh oil change and wash/wax. The old man loved that car.

Anyway, I have looked over the cases and the individual bottles and can find no date stamp, at least none that are obvious to me. So, is there an easy way to tell how old this oil is? What is the shelf life on unopened oil? So many questions.... I also found a stash of 10 AC Delco oil and 10 AC Delco air filters for the car. There were a few Wix oil filters mixed in, but the vast majority were AC Delco. Dad sure loaded up when he found a deal.

Also, I have been buying Valvoline conventional 10w-30 and usin git in the SS for the last 5 years or so and am just wondering what the forums thoughts are on that oil vs the QS. My Dad was a QS man since the 1950's and finding his stash of oil for my car made me wonder about QS v Valvoline for that engine.

Thanks for you thoughts!!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What rating is it? SN? SM? SL?

I wouldn't have a problem using any of those.

Thanks, I will go look.

Too bad they weren't actual cans.....

They are SM.

After looking over the bottles again I can see what appears to perhaps be an "AUG 2010" date on the bottom of one of them. They all have some ink stamping on the bottle but except for the one bottle it is either too faded or smeared to read. I'm honestly not 100% certain that "AUG 2010" is what is on the one bottle that is sort of legible, but that is what it looks like to me.

If that's the case is 6 year old oil still ok to use? I'm going to assume that it should be. Maybe it just ages and gets better like a good Bourbon.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Any thoughts on the QS v Valvoline? I know that is sorta like asking if someone prefers blondes or brunettes but was just curious.

Thanks again for your time!

I just some QS "supreme" from the 1970's in a 16 year old Bolens push mower back in early April. Nothing has blown apart yet
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with Valvoline , it's a great oil with many UOAs to back it up .
I just personally prefer QS and Sopus blended oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with Valvoline , it's a great oil with many UOAs to back it up .
I just personally prefer QS and Sopus blended oils.

+1

6 years is not really old
but I am betting the stuff they made 20 years ago is
better than the EPA regulated junk they are making today

There's a guy here using metal cans in what I believe is a Dastun 260z? It meets the spec of his car for sure.

PQIA did a VOA on some old metal canned oil too. No issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back