Amsoil - Strategic Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using Amsoil in early 2000's. Back then company wasn't afraid to explicitly state they sell PAO oil. Why would anyone want to buy Motul if we Americans had a company with a similar or better product in our own backyard. I drove my car hard, I was a lot more of a hard head too, and the engine kept purring.

Then after being mostly away for a good number of years and finally coming back for good in one piece I bought a new car. Naturally, I had converted to Amsoil. But as soon as I had done that I realized, through research, that today's Amsoil ain't the same. Now it appears to be a Group III base oil with an extra shot of detergent. As if they are saying, - here you go, we've added an extra Tide for you, run it for 25K mile or 15K if you are not going too far, enjoy!

I personally think it was a strategic mistake on their part. They abolished a product that was the core of their success and recognition among automotive enthusiasts like myself. I will probably not exaggerate if I say I felt betrayed.

With that said, do you think Amsoil should introduce a true PAO line of motor oils in addition to what they have now?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What benefit do you feel you would gain by running a "true PAO" oil?

Maybe use the last 20+ years of advertising from the above mentioned company...surely when they were telling you why they earned your dollar they were telling the truth.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What benefit do you feel you would gain by running a "true PAO" oil?

The main differences are only significant in very cold conditions or in an engine that has a turbo (Or is subject to overheating). They also last longer if you like long OCI's, which I do. In reality there is not much of a difference between a good G3 and a good G4, although I steer well clear of non major brand oils because you can make a bad HC synthetic, but so few companies make PAO base stocks that it is very unlikely you will get a second rate HC base stock that has been dumped almost for free.
This article is a good one:
http://towprofessional.com/article/synthetic-vs-petroleum/

Last edited:
Sn and cj-4 are a [censored] to pass. And have a e7 and e9 are not easier. Ever tried to pass them? I am sure amzoil did tried initially . Most other dont bother. When an oil is vetted for sn and cj-4 and it is synthetic? Dont sweat it everybody but maybe high end racing is.covered. just let engine warm up till coolant needle reach100 f and let it cool 5 minute and your covered before shutting off

Last edited:
I don't use or follow Amsoil products, so I'm out of the loop. Got a source for their synthetic being group 3 now? Kind of hard to believe they'd charge $10+/quart for group 3, no matter how good the additives.

I think their strategic direction is like most corporations, with increasing profits and sales being a top priority.

To me, there are many roads to the same destination. I think we all can learn from this very scenerio, that using good oil, almost any good oil, will give you more protection than you will ever need. We're too hung up, me included, at times, with the "feel good" factor of using some eclectic brand or even home brew, that we lose sight of the goal... ie. to protect our engines, and ensure their longevity, hopefully at a fair dollar amount.
I have yet to see any hard data, that proves, or even alludes to the fact, that using Amsoil, Motul, Redline etc. protects your vehicles engine any better than Rural King, Super Tech, AutoZone etc. You can look at VOA/UOA and find all kinds of good ones among all of them.
I said the other day in a post, that even I fall, sometimes, for the peace of mind benefit of PPPP, thinking it sure sounds better than most, at a fair price, but that is simply not provable in any real world way, or supported by any data. In other word, I too, have fallen for advertising.
Right now two of my cars have RK syn in them and one has PPPP, which will last longer? Give me some proof, and I'll be willing to be a customer for life. Truth is, we'll never know. That fact alone ought to tell you that cheap, is not always bad, and expensive is not always good. Sometimes "good enough" is all you need.

Originally Posted By: Donald
With respect to motor oils, you can get comparable oil (Mobil 1 or PP/PU) at Walmart to Amsoil. But I buy Amsoil ATF and SVG products.
Same here; Amsoil SVG and ATF are arguably the best on the market today, their motor oils not so much.

What actual hard PROOF do you have that it's predominately a Gr 3 oil?

What actual or perceived benefits are you going to get from a predominately Gr 4 oil?

This has been discussed many times before- there are real benefits to running an oil that has a blend of base stocks. Gr 3, Gr 4 and Gr 5. Individually they all have their pluses and minuses, but when blended together they can make a superior product . This comes from not just sales reps but tribologists and others inside the industry- all of whom are members on this message board.

The Amsoil you're running is just as good or better than the Amsoil you were running the last time.

There aren't too many long life 20 weights oils.

If you want to pour and not worry for 13K miles, Amsoil is one of the few choices. M1 EP is another. They are in a market not too many others enter.

Last edited:
Quote:
...Naturally, I had converted to Amsoil. But as soon as I had done that I realized, through research, that today's Amsoil ain't the same. Now it appears to be a Group III base oil with an extra shot of detergent. As if they are saying, - here you go, we've added an extra Tide for you, run it for 25K mile or 15K if you are not going too far, enjoy!...

Where is Pablo to defend his products?

I don't know where you got the Group III info, but Amsoil sells their OEM and Signature lines, which are differentiated by the amount of Group III, IV, and V base oil components.

I was disappointed when they went from a majority ester base oil to a PAO/ester mix in their original products, but performance did not seem to be affected.

However, base oils alone do not make a formulated oil.

One thing you have realize is that since the original formulations, commercial additive packages have become so much improved that base oil components don't provide as much differentiation as they once did.

Last edited:
I personally have nothing against Group III or a mix. I am currently running Castrol Edge 5w30. To me if an oil meets specs and is officially certified to meet those specs that's all I need these days.

As far as Amsoil being Group III base oil, I laid out an argument in the 6th post here. Shortly after that Amsoil changed their MSDS. Pablo stated that earlier MSDS was in error. I don't know how much I believe that.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ent#Post3719996

Furthermore, this video shows Amsoil having crystals of what appears to be a paraffin forming at very low temperatures,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

I am not saying current formulations of Amsoil are bad. I just don't see why anyone would want to spend more for the similar formulation they can find at, say, Walmart. Look at RedLine. They stayed true to their core belief of ester oils that created a following and a dedicated customer base.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The BITOG M1 fan-boy club isn't going to like that article.

I doubt it. XOM has been blending more group III visom into the M-1 product line for nearly a decade now. Even the most ardent M-1 supports have acknowledged this.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
I started using Amsoil in early 2000's. Back then company wasn't afraid to explicitly state they sell PAO oil. Why would anyone want to buy Motul if we Americans had a company with a similar or better product in our own backyard. I drove my car hard, I was a lot more of a hard head too, and the engine kept purring.

Then after being mostly away for a good number of years and finally coming back for good in one piece I bought a new car. Naturally, I had converted to Amsoil. But as soon as I had done that I realized, through research, that today's Amsoil ain't the same. Now it appears to be a Group III base oil with an extra shot of detergent. As if they are saying, - here you go, we've added an extra Tide for you, run it for 25K mile or 15K if you are not going too far, enjoy!

I personally think it was a strategic mistake on their part. They abolished a product that was the core of their success and recognition among automotive enthusiasts like myself. I will probably not exaggerate if I say I felt betrayed.

With that said, do you think Amsoil should introduce a true PAO line of motor oils in addition to what they have now?

Amsoil has never, ever, been 100% PAO. Some marketing person thought it would be smart to put that on bottles and cases for little while and I told them: "Dumb move". Shortly later, that label was gone for good.

The SS oils are not Grp III. I know Amsoil's statements on base oils seem as clear as mud to people who somehow think they are getting something they think is better when they assume one base oil is god's gift - and you know I agree to some extent - but Amsoil awhile back (this is NOT recent here) chose some ambiguous words about their formulations. So be it. They chose not get into "ingredient" wars.

You guys do know Redline is PAO and some ester, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back