Why do I need a high speed tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Tires with higher speed ratings are generally better built and better balanced, AFAIK.

I always get the highest speed rating possible, all else equal.
Ya but we are talking $98 a tire vs $180ea.x4!

...for arguably the most important items on your vehicle. And you'll own them for years. Makes sense to me.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Take your wheel/tire off your truck, then go buy what you want. If they ask......It's off my ratrod. Problem solved.

This... and find another tire store.

I am surprised there are multiple speed ratings for a load range e tire. Your tire shop is smoking crack. If you drive that truck any where near that fast consistently you won't have it very long anyways.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It isn't illegal to install a tire with a lower speed rating than originally equipped, but most shops won't do it out of fear of getting sued.

What trim level is your truck (Custom/XL/XLT/Lariat)? What tire size? GVWR 6300 or 7300?

Are your tires LT235/85-16?

I looked up every combination for your F250 on Walmart's tire finder, and none of them seem to require the S speed rating. (Walmart WILL NOT install tires with a lower speed rating, so if it's on their site, then you're good to go)

Walmart has S-rated Kumho tires for $131 each.
lariat.was originally 235/85/16.i put 285/75/16 on it last time.looking at a 265 now hoping for a little better hill pulling power since it only has 3.55 gearing.gvr 8800 lbs

OK

295/75-16 seems to be the most expensive, as the cheapest 285/75-16 10/E is $162.

Walmart has tires in the size LT265/75-16/10 at $100, with an R speed rating.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Biggest thing is the E rating-in my experience, high speed rated load range E/10 ply tires are difficult to find, they're usually Q or R. Does your F250 have a C6 that 3.55 rear axle? Can't believe it would make it above 90 MPH, my F-Super Duty, even with 5 speed manual & 3.73 rear axle, won't go that fast (maybe off a cliff?).
4speed stick shift.no overdrive

Where in the world did you find an E rated 265/75R16 for under $100 a tire?

It's hard to find even cheap ST E rated trailer tires at that price let alone a decent LT tire.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Where in the world did you find an E rated 265/75R16 for under $100 a tire?

It's hard to find even cheap ST E rated trailer tires at that price let alone a decent LT tire.

Walmart
smile.gif

Dextero DHT2

Also, Big O has an LT265/75-16E for $112.98, and there's a $50 rebate too.

Mmmm Made in China by Giti tire...I suppose toothbrushes and video games are one thing but I would be leary of made in China passenger tires.

If you must buy from Walmart insist on checking the manufacturer date on all of the tires. A co worker recently bought a "brand new" set marked from late 2011.

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
I have to get some 265/75/16s for my f250 soon. E load tires aren't cheap.

$130 each, shipped HERE.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
I have to get some 265/75/16s for my f250 soon. E load tires aren't cheap.

$130 each, shipped HERE.
those are recapped.

Treadwright has been around for a long time and is a reputable company in the world of recaps. Truckers have been using them for decades, the technology has gotten substantially better and tread separation is becoming less and less of a factor.

That being said, recaps are still illegal on vehicles used for public transportation, which tells me there is still some concern. I suppose it all depends on your application but I use my truck to tow heavy loads, including hauling our camper in the summer with my whole family. It's not worth the risk to me just to save $200-$300 to buy either a recap or an economy tire. Too much at risk.

Check Discount/America's Tire. They have your size under $100. Wally may be another source. You pick the speed rating and price that suits you.
A non-turbo diesel is right there with an old VW bug for power.

If you notice blown truck tires on the road, you'll find most are new tred run-flats that came apart. You can tell by the steel belts.
Re-treads don't have steel in the caps.

Nothing wrong with quality re-caps. I've run them 1,000's of miles on drive axles.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No, that is wrong. (Many school buses and some shuttles and transit buses run caps.)

Not on the steer tires they don't, not legally at least.

Subpart G—Miscellaneous parts and accessories §393.75 Tires.

(a) No motor vehicle shall be operated on any tire that (1) has body ply or belt material exposed through the tread or sidewall, (2) has any tread or sidewall separation, (3) is flat or has an audible leak, or (4) has a cut to the extent that the ply or belt material is exposed.

(b) Any tire on the front wheels of a bus, truck, or truck tractor shall have a tread groove pattern depth of at least 4/32 of an inch when measured at any point on a major tread groove. The measurements shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, tires shall have a tread groove pattern depth of at least 2/32 of an inch when measured in a major tread groove. The measurement shall not be made where tie bars, humps or fillets are located.

(d) No bus shall be operated with regrooved, recapped or retreaded tires on the front wheels.

(e) A regrooved tire with a load-carrying capacity equal to or greater than 2,232 kg (4,920 pounds) shall not be used on the front wheels of any truck or truck tractor.

HD truck tires are made to be retreaded as well.

LT truck tires are meant to be disposable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back