How are pay raises given at your employer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I'm not anti-collective bargaining but it seems odd to me to pay everyone the same when I'd never met two people with exactly the same productivity.

Unions and collective bargaining agreements aren't just about wage and benefit levels.
I've seen instances of employees being terminated for outrageously unjust reasons where the only thing that saved them was the grievance and arbitration process.
Without a union, these folks would have been SOL.
A union can be a powerful tool in leveling the playing field between management and labor. This is the reason that employers prefer to maintain the power that comes with a non-union workforce and also explains why some major employers skirt the bounds of federal law in resisting organizing drives, hiring an armada of union-busting law firms and consultants. Even better, why not hire an armada of political consultants and spend some ad money to pass a state so-called right to work statute?

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

How does your boss at a non union job give pay raises ?

All to himself, nothing to others... he's also the only one who gets paid for overtime

That's easy then, don't work overtime! I'm on double time if I go even 1 minute over the rostered finishing time.

I don't....

I'm hourly and don't mind working OT, sometimes you have no choice and get the job done. I'm also non union employee and never seen a person fired for no reason.

Last bozo fired was given multiple warnings to shape up and cut the [censored]. He was a poison that needed to be fired.

Not entirely sure. I think upper management looks at forecasts and prior performance, figures out how much extra to pay employees, possibly to make sure they stay around and not create a brain drain. I believe merit based raises are in there too, but the new pres always talks about how we need more than 5% growth in order to beat inflation--thus it's pretty well understood (hopefully!) that our pay needs at least 3% growth too.

Profit sharing is based upon other metrics that I don't see either, but I think it's not just any profit above anticipated.

I've been at my job 19 years. 4 pay raises, not evenly spaced either. As my first year, I got a raise right away.

While I make industry average pay at the time of the raise, it's substandard at all other times.

That methodology has saved my boss millions with his large group of employees.

All complaints aside, I don't have to stay. I do love my job.

Last edited:
I have seen many problems with paying people based on their so-called "performance." One place I worked we had an annual sales goal. My team doubled it the first year, and then beat it handily for several years until finally they ratcheted up the goal to an impossible level and each year we were failing after that even though our sales were way above where they were originally and the company was extremely profitable. The industry was shrinking at the time, and I was lucky to work during its peak years. But, major demographic and economic shifts were just not in our control. In another place we had all sorts of metrics that were used to measure our performance, but many of them depended on another team that was totally out of our control, chronically underfunded and understaffed, and incapable of achieving their stated goals. So my team was constantly blamed for not meeting metrics that were because the other team couldn't do their job properly. Remember too, management is never wrong, even if they are wrong!

Last edited:
Vern_in_IL,

Yep, the ACA will cause your healthcare premiums to skyrocket. But ACA was supposed to make it less expensive.
smirk.gif

AuthorEditor,
Yep, every year the metrics bar gets raised higher and higher. Company has unrealistic expectations and said you met them in previous years.

I received an 8% raise this year so I feel very fortunate. The best was 18% about 10 years ago but that was due to being way below the market average. I personally feel that they pay me well to do very little... In the past few years it has been 2-5% so life if better that it could be. I am very thankful.

Typically 3% if you did "average", 0% if you didn't do well, 5-6% if you are doing well and market paid, 10-12% if you are underpaid and do well.

If you find another company that really wants you, then they typically offer 15-30% more than what you are making.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I have seen many problems with paying people based on their so-called "performance." One place I worked we had an annual sales goal. My team doubled it the first year, and then beat it handily for several years until finally they ratcheted up the goal to an impossible level and each year we were failing after that even though our sales were way above where they were originally and the company was extremely profitable. The industry was shrinking at the time, and I was lucky to work during its peak years. But, major demographic and economic shifts were just not in our control. In another place we had all sorts of metrics that were used to measure our performance, but many of them depended on another team that was totally out of our control, chronically underfunded and understaffed, and incapable of achieving their stated goals. So my team was constantly blamed for not meeting metrics that were because the other team couldn't do their job properly. Remember too, management is never wrong, even if they are wrong!

Tell me about it. When the policy is to have "innovation" despite your work is to make sure things are running without any hiccup, you either do well making sure there's no hiccup or you "innovate" and screw up (or kick the can down the road).

I have to failed the "innovation" more than I can count because I was cleaning up the mess of "innovation" that other members started and fooled the management past the review cycle.

Guess who got the better review?

My last raise was ~3.5% which I think was the max for anyone in my department, but it could be less for poor attendance or consistently under-performing. Women doing the same work as me are criminally underpaid by comparison, no matter how long they've worked there. We've been lied to so much, lost benefits and had our hours cut to the point that there is no morale left at all. The job is only worth doing because most of us can telecommute. Why anyone in management would think that any employee would ever go out of their way to help the company is totally beyond me.

Quote:
I have seen many problems with paying people based on their so-called "performance." One place I worked we had an annual sales goal. My team doubled it the first year, and then beat it handily for several years until finally they ratcheted up the goal to an impossible level and each year we were failing after that even though our sales were way above where they were originally and the company was extremely profitable.

OH YEAH, I work in a "not performance based" production job, it's based on quality... but my Mother did work for a 3rd tier auto supplier, you start with a "base pay" close to minimum wage, and say if you exceed 1,000 parts your shift, they start paying you xx more.... well my mom was so good that she was breaking the record, and they kept moving it up, so nobody could reach the goal....

Performance based pay is a rip off.

Last edited:
Usually pay raise is inflation rate ,usually. But some employer view thing differently!example:you want a pay raise ? Since when pleasure slave get a pay raise ?whlait you get paid?dam I knew I shouldn't have moved to Detroit downtown. American dream they say , ya riigghht.

As a civil servant for the federal gov, my pay raises are based on time in service, and whenever congress decides to give one of their marginal cost of living increases. The only other raise I'm aware of would be a step promotion, but you'd basically have to pull someone from a burning vehicle to get one of those...

Yeah, my brother works for the VA and is on the GS pay scale for his position. He hates the VA but no job is perfect.

Yeah, my brother works for the VA and is on the GS pay scale for his position. He hates the VA but no job is perfect.

I would hate to work for the VA too, especially considering all of the bad publicity they're getting right now...the general public pretty much despises anyone who works for the federal gov these days...somehow we always get lumped in with the crooked politicians...we're all seen as the same by Joe Public, even though there's no connection between us working stiffs and the jokers in D.C.....

VA employees are about 10 notches below the TSA...

Not sure I know what that means...

We get paid based purely on time with the union and the pay grade you are in. Has nothing to do with skills or performance. No individual achievements are taken into account. You can be a slug....or a mongoose.
It's a real dream for the lazy types to get paid the same as the guys that work hard and have more skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back