Buying a used late-model VW TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
I thought the Fit was parked, due to airbags? [Haven't kept up with the airbag fiasco.] Sorry about whatever the cause was.

DSG and towing? I'm not so sure... I hated backing up my 1,000lb popup in my car, up a slight incline; I had to abuse the clutch to get anywhere. I believe the DSG is a dry clutch. I'd be concerned about reversing. That, and it used to be, no towing with DSG. Maybe that changed in 2013, and maybe over in the EU they tow with the DSG--I'd research that before going further.

Toss in the (how expensive?) 40k fluid changes, timing belt every (120k?), the (how much? I was paying $9/L for mine) engine oil, and whatever else comes out of dieselgate... I hear the car is great and I'm guessing the deals are getting good. But man I wouldn't be able to.

The Fit was parked, we got it fixed, then it got into a crash with a bus. We're waiting to hear whether or not it's worth fixing.

With all the issues surrounding the TDI, we decided to pass.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Probably 1,500lb then here--seems comparing "over there" to "over here" the manufacturers swap kg and lb units. If we're lucky. My 2011 Camry is "not recommended for towing".

That's insane - the Oz 2011 Camry is rated to tow 500kg (1100lb) unbraked, or 1200kg (2650lb) braked! Current model is the same, except for the Hybrid, which is only rated for 300kg (660lb). Still, sadly, that's more than yours can do...
smile.gif

OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

21.gif

The great American towing conspiracy. I think Jalopnic had an article over it, they attempted to look at why our towing numbers are lower than anyone elses (higher vehicle speeds was the ultimate reason I believe, but there were some others).

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The Fit was parked, we got it fixed, then it got into a crash with a bus. We're waiting to hear whether or not it's worth fixing.

With all the issues surrounding the TDI, we decided to pass.

Bummer.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Probably 1,500lb then here--seems comparing "over there" to "over here" the manufacturers swap kg and lb units. If we're lucky. My 2011 Camry is "not recommended for towing".

That's insane - the Oz 2011 Camry is rated to tow 500kg (1100lb) unbraked, or 1200kg (2650lb) braked! Current model is the same, except for the Hybrid, which is only rated for 300kg (660lb). Still, sadly, that's more than yours can do...
smile.gif

OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

21.gif

The great American towing conspiracy. I think Jalopnic had an article over it, they attempted to look at why our towing numbers are lower than anyone elses (higher vehicle speeds was the ultimate reason I believe, but there were some others).

The issue is with the vertical load at the coupling point. Americans use a lot more vertical load which loads up the rear suspension (in addition to a possible full trunk and full complement of people) and unloads the front. Steering suffers, as does traction.

Not allowing the DSG to tow is because it's not an automatic but is perceived as one. People will abuse the clutches as they're designed to slip at low speeds and low gears (approximately up to 1500 rpm and in 1st or 2nd gear. Not always, but most likely when you start moving from a complete stop (1st) or a near stop (2nd)).

Originally Posted By: dareo
I would think about a brand new TSI gasser instead. Pretty good MPG, very good price, brand new warranty, more power. People have been well under 20k on a new golf wagon.

DITTO!!!
also comes with 15" wheels/tires, so no $1+k spent on new car shoes.
and i thought the tsi S comes in stickshift/manual/standard tooooooooo...
and a small internet search has some dealers at $17k

I'm a VW fan......have two in the driveway. I agree at this point in time I'd keep away from the TDI's until all this is resolved. Gas engines, go for it.....love both my Jetta and the wifes new Tiguan. Both are 2.0L Turbo's 6speed manuals
smile.gif

I do not think the wagons have the DSG...I think they use a regular Aisin auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back