Delo 400 Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try the Delo in place of my Rotella in the Bandit. So far, 500mi, I'm impressed with the shift quality, very smooth compared to the Rotilla. I thought there could be a little more clutch drag when cold, but no difference at operating temp. Definitely worth a try.
As usual, YMMV

Smoky

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Does the Delo have the JASO wet clutch rating? I assume you mean the regular 15W-40 Delo?

No, Chevron did not apply for a JASO motorcycle rating like Shell did with Rotella. If you are ever concerned about whether an oil is wet clutch friendly, just email the company and ask if the oil would be okay for an a machine calling for an Allison C4 approved lubricant. That is a now obsolete wet clutch rating used for mostly off road machinery.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Does the Delo have the JASO wet clutch rating? I assume you mean the regular 15W-40 Delo?

No, Chevron did not apply for a JASO motorcycle rating like Shell did with Rotella. If you are ever concerned about whether an oil is wet clutch friendly, just email the company and ask if the oil would be okay for an a machine calling for an Allison C4 approved lubricant. That is a now obsolete wet clutch rating used for mostly off road machinery.

Not to be pedantic about it, but Shell self-certified Rotella as JASO MA. It is not found on The Big List of JASO certified oils.

I'm just starting my 2nd year using Delo 400 LE 5w-40 in my daily rider. It has been working well for me.

When cold I think I have a bit too much clutch drag, but it is the same with any oil I've tried, I think it is just a characteristic of the bike. Not much, if any drag when hot. If it slips, I wouldn't know, because 30.6 hp isn't enough to make it slip on any oil I've tried.

I ran it for a while in my bikes. I can say it is close to 10w50 in engine feel for the yamaha. The clutch is fine in both bikes, the R1 front wheel is off the ground under moderate acceleration so it an it slippin
wink.gif
Harley got it filled in both holes when I first got it, so nothing to compare it to.

Originally Posted By: WANG

Not to be pedantic about it, but Shell self-certified Rotella as JASO MA. It is not found on The Big List of JASO certified oils.

Well lots of JASO MA oils also say they meet various API grades such as SJ, SG, SL, etc. They don't carry the API seal on them. However, if a company made false claims about it meeting a certification, they would be in for quite a can of worms legally I would think. But you are right, I guess Shell self tested.

I switch between Rotella and Delo in my three bikes. Honda '06 Wing, '98 Shadow ACE Tourer and my '08 Suzuki C90-T. I get whats on sale.

ROD

Well lots of JASO MA oils also say they meet various API grades such as SJ, SG, SL, etc. They don't carry the API seal on them. However, if a company made false claims about it meeting a certification, they would be in for quite a can of worms legally I would think. But you are right, I guess Shell self tested.

Yeah man, I think we are on the same page on this. I've never been concerned about the labeling vs. listing thing in my own applications, just wanted to clarify for people who are.

I have been using delo motor oils in motorcycles and other applications for years with no problems. It is a very well made, easy to find and usually a few bucks cheaper than shell rotella oils. I initially trusted that it wont cause any clutch problems because of the Allison C4 approval but now years of success in using it have confirmed it for me.

If it makes any one else feel better, I have been using delo 400 le 5w-40 synthetic in my $15,000 2014 Yamaha super tenere since 500 miles and everything is fine. If anything, the clutch and shift feel are much better with the delo than the yama lube 10w-40 the machine came with and I used for the first oil change.

I also run delo's 10w-30 in all my lawn mowers and my father's jeep wrangler.

I love DELO!

Son of a gun, you know, if I didnt look myself I would not believe it, you are 100% correct. Rotella is NOT a certified Jaso rated oil.
Here is the list...

Last edited:
Robenstein said:
AuthorEditor said:

Yes, true but, someone looking for an API grade oil will not be looking for a Jaso oil. If one is specifically looking for a Jaso oil and chooses Shell it is not a certified Jaso oil. Im sure it is fine, no doubt in my mind but, it is not certified.

BTW for an oil to be certified Jaso it has to meet at least one of the following ...
API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

So you can not be a Jaso Certified oil without meeting standard industry tests for automobiles or trucks.
Here is the source

Last edited:
And of course there are wildly popular oils (Mobil 1 V Twin) that are neither API nor JASO certified, and simply state they meet a certain level (SG I believe) and are wet clutch compatible.

Yes, the power of "marketing" Mobile 1 4 T and its not an inexpensive oil either, they get a premium for the product.

I use a semi syn oil that claims to meet Ch4+ through CJ4 as well as the "S" ratings, being it comes from a large company, Citgo I have no reason to doubt it. But unlike Mobile1 I am not paying a premium for it at $34 delivered to my door for a 2 gallon container.

I dont do this to save money, I do it because its the ONLY oil available that hands down meets Harleys specs besides their own HD oil at a reasonable cost, (HD requires CH4+ or higher and prefers 20/50 but 15/40 accept) and maybe one from Amsoil and possibly Redline makes one in the 15/50 or 20/50. Being I live in a HOT climate for many months Im not comfy with a 15/40 more so from a company that prefers 20/50.

Im using Mystik JT8 15/50. With claims it meets the specs but not certified, just like Amsoil, Mobile 1, Redline etc.
Yet you pay a huge premium for those products and I pay $17 a gallon for a total of $34 for 2 gallons including shipping to my home.

Its not completely true I do not care about cost, meaning, if I am going to buy a diesel rated "C" oil, I want to pay in the area of what diesel rated oils cost, Like Rotella, Delo, Mobile Delvac, Valvoline, Castrol etc.
Mystik (Citgo product) is the only company that is priced the same as these companies that offers a 15or20/50 weight "C" rated oil in the USA, even though, overseas there are MANY more that do.. Amsoil- Redline are way to expensive for my needs.

Last edited:
Yes, I guess it's because they don't want to pay for additional certifications, ex. Jaso? Seems hard to believe but I guess it is costly for them?
Being they are a huge company I guess we take at face value their statement that it does meet those requirements and have no reason to believe it doesn't.
I do the same with Citgos Mystik, they simply claim to meet the cj4 and sm/sn requirements but not certified with the API donut symbol and in Rotella, no MA symbol, etc....

Last edited:
I have made the switch from Rotella to Delo in my KLR650 and all of my OPE engines. I believe that it is every bit as good as Rotella and it saves me a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I have made the switch from Rotella to Delo in my KLR650 and all of my OPE engines. I believe that it is every bit as good as Rotella and it saves me a few bucks.

I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1300, Delo, or Rotella. I used to just buy whatever was cheaper when I was using diesel oil in my flat tappet engines.

I contacted Shell and they do offer a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on motorcycles. I doubt the other diesel oil companies do. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back