People you admire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I can re post this. Who do you folks admire? I admire my parents, GRANDMA, and my brother and countless others I served with in the U.S. NAVY. ALSO, I am glad to have the BITOG faithful and BlueOvalFilter and his great cause to see and be grateful for.

I'm surprised this post didn't get taken down yet
smile.gif

The Walmart that I run into on occasion has a guy working in it; don't know his name nor his story. Amputee around one elbow, other hand has maybe one nub of a finger and I think most of his thumb is gone too.

One Halloween he was dressed up as a pirate, complete with a hook on his missing arm. I didn't want to interrupt his day but it was probably the only time I've wanted to get a picture taken with someone.

Everyone in my family served in that era, but the story of this great-uncle stands out. I try to keep this in mind when I catch myself acting entitled or selfish.

2dgwaz7.jpg

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS WESLEY PHELPS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the Third Battalion, Seventh Marines, First Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu Island, Palau Group, during a savage hostile counterattack on the night of October 4, 1944. Stationed with another Marine in an advanced position when a Japanese hand grenade landed in his foxhole, Private First Class Phelps instantly shouted a warning to his comrade and rolled over on the deadly bomb, absorbing with his own Body the full, shattering impact of the exploding charge. Courageous and indomitable, Private First Class Phelps fearlessly gave his life that another might be spared serious injury and his great valor and heroic devotion to duty in the face of certain death reflected the highest credit upon himself and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

/S/ HARRY S. TRUMAN

Mom, Dad, one of my old bosses, now retired, who saw something in me others did not. Lee Iacocca, Wayne Gretsky, ("You miss 100% of the shots you don't take), and my lovely spouse of 22 years.

Thank you guys for the replies and bandito440 for the info/story. I enjoyed reading that good sir
smile.gif

Robert Oppenheimer and Leslie Groves...Polar opposites in every way, worked together to produce the first A-Bombs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back