VOA Joe Gibbs DRIVEN DT50 15W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno what Blackstone are smoking....
j3002015.jpg

Not sure it's any better than Delvac 1300 15W40, many of the values are worse/lower. Would be interesting to see how it would do in an older HP gas application, if it is worth the extra $$$.

I take VOAs with a grain of salt. Getting viscosity wrong is one thing, but judging an oil via a VOA is not useful. Additive packages vary and are always changing. It really tells you little about how the oil will perform in service.

buster said that judging an oil via a VOA is not useful, and Garak said that's absolutely true.
Two members with a total of over 48,000 posts.

What is the purpose of a VOA?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
buster said that judging an oil via a VOA is not useful, and Garak said that's absolutely true.
Two members with a total of over 48,000 posts.

What is the purpose of a VOA?

Simply a baseline to compare with future UOAs of the same oil. You cannot determine performance, relative or absolute, from a VOA. That's what industry testing is for.

Well, if I were trending UOAs, I would want to get a VOA of the same oil from the same lab I'd be using to do the UOAs. That certainly helps, particularly noting this product as a 3 ppm starting point of silicon, for instance.

As for this oil in specific, I'm sure it's a fine oil. I just find the price a little overwhelming. Check their website and convert it to Canadian funds, and check shipping, or whatever else, and it gets worse. The main thing that bugs me about Joe Gibbs is that they seem to have a solution to every problem, real or imagined, and tend to what an exceedingly high price for those solutions.

Thanks for sharing!
thumbsup2.gif

I wonder if there is any difference between this oil and the HD50 "for air cooled motorcycles"? This DT50 certainly appears to be fine for a wet clutch application.
The local VP dealer carries this brand, and I thought about the HD50 for one of my motorcycles.
They do seem to have a lot of lame labels, which is a little annoying. They would seem more credible to me if their 5W30 street oil was just labeled as "really good 5W30" instead of "designed for high performance LS engines", for example.

DT40 and DT50 are also mPAO base stocks. Ultra low NOACK (sub 6%) and very high HTHS for their weights. I will be using it in my big-turbo E85 supra engine once I break it in with the royal purple I already have. This oil was designed specifically for Porsche engines, which are extremely hard on oil. They do not recommend going past 5,000 miles on this oil.

They still aren't on the Porsche approved oil list, are they?

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
DT40 and DT50 are also mPAO base stocks. Ultra low NOACK (sub 6%) and very high HTHS for their weights. I will be using it in my big-turbo E85 supra engine once I break it in with the royal purple I already have. This oil was designed specifically for Porsche engines, which are extremely hard on oil. They do not recommend going past 5,000 miles on this oil.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
They still aren't on the Porsche approved oil list, are they?

I doubt they ever will be. That is not their market, and the additives in the oil are not designed to last 10k miles per Porsche OCI. This oil was originally not even available to the public, but only to those who had engines built by Flat 6 Innovations (DT40 for water-cooled, DT50 for air-cooled).

There is an immense amount of discussion (and praise) for this oil on the Rennlist forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
There is an immense amount of discussion (and praise) for this oil on the Rennlist forum.

Oh I don't doubt that, and it doesn't surprise me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back