Conventional by OLM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys for the first time I'm running conventional VWB in the Silverado. Normally I run synthetic Dexos approved oil to ~20% on the OLM or around 7-9k miles.

My original thought was to change the VWB out at 5k. Im 3k into the oil change, the OLM is at 73% and the oil still looks pretty clean.

Should I run the VWB 7k or dump it at 5k?

I think OLMs are designed around quality conventional oils for the most part, or at least whatever is stated in the manual. Some vehicles do come with the recommendation to use synthetic, but most domestic vehicle manuals I have seen are based on your use of regular oil meeting specs. However, if you are running something out of spec. I would go by distance and/or time.

VWB is fine for your 2008 Silverado, as back then the OLM was made with dino in mind. You can leave it in as long as you normally leave it in.

dexos is only required from 2011-on. The only pre-dexos cars that required synthetic are certain Cadillacs, and the Corvette.

That said, Napa Synthetic is on sale for only $2.99 this month, so for that price, why not use a full syn? Even if you don't change it now, you'll still have it for when you do
smile.gif

Since it's unknown whether GM calibrated your OLM for dino or synthetic, it might be a good idea to take a sample at 5k and leave it in...

VWB though should be fine for 7k.

I'd think a given car's IOLM would assume OEM-spec oil. Run whatever is specified in the owner's manual and you should be fine...

DEXOS wasn't a thing back in '08, tons of conventional oils met the GM spec of the day. I wouldn't bat an eye. I have used synthetic oil in my '08 GM V8 since it was new, but comparing my UOAs to OLM life remaining results indicates that it would likely be fine with a top shelf conventional like VWB.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Since it's unknown whether GM calibrated your OLM for dino or synthetic, it might be a good idea to take a sample at 5k and leave it in...

It was tested on API SM/GF-4 in 2008. A modern API/SN GF-5 would be an upgrade.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
I'd think a given car's IOLM would assume OEM-spec oil. Run whatever is specified in the owner's manual and you should be fine...

+1

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Kuato

It was tested on API SM/GF-4 in 2008. A modern API/SN GF-5 would be an upgrade.

Thanks. You're better educated on those specs than I am....so it seems that OP can run the OLM on a modern dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back